Comerfords Cub.

2fargone

Help guys,

what would you do with a genuine 'Comerfords cub', my dilemma is do I restore it back to former glory or do I go all modern using all the trick bits now available.I am fully aware that it is not competitive in its original trim but would it still be desirable as I don't think there are that many around any more.At the end of the day they are only a converted 'Mountain Cub' but as rough as they are they are still part of 'Triumphs' famous trialing history. :)

Edited by 2fargone

Hi,

I agree with Big John - may I also say the Commerford Cub has a very special place in the Triumph Cub Trials history - can I suggest you restore it to its former glory if you can afford it - and preserve a part of Triumph history - all to many great Trials motor cycles have been lost for ever.

Regards Brian H

Must admit i too have a soft spot for the Commerford Cub and if i had one i would restore it. But it's your bike so it's up to you. B)

"Incidentally what is the eligibility of a Comerfords Cub in Pre65 events as they were built in 1967/68?"

You are joking arent you? :wall:

If you look at some of the Cubs competing. 250cc, PVL, Mikuni carb, fiddle forks, MacDonald frames, modified crankcases, repositioned engine mountings, gas shocks, billet alloy hubs, titanium exhausts, titanium spindles etc etc

You think a Comerford cub isnt elegible?

I think that some of the organisers must be Doctor Who with their "interpretation" of the space time continum :D

A Comerford Cub entered in any Pre 65 event is more in the spirit of the thing than probably the entire rest of the entry :P

Good luck to you anyway. Piccy please when it's finished :thumbup:

• 7 months later...

Hi jonnyp,

thanks for your input, on the subject of there only being a few left of the 55 or so made, I would almost bet my house that this is one of them! :D

I wonder what the engine no. is T20M perhaps???

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...ADME:B:EF:UK:11

Victor type 'Lyta' petrol tank.

Top tube under tank.

Alloy oil tank.

Capacitor ignition ( energy transfer originally )

Alloy trials silencer.

Footrest position.

Big dural rear sprocket.

Late type front frame with strengthening gussets.

Cranked rear subframe.

could be wrong but it looks pretty much like one to me, going bloody cheap too especially if you get them both !!!!!!!!! :lol:

Edited by 2fargone

2fargone, Big John.

First off, yep I saw that one too, I did drop them a line to find out what the numbers were as well, as yet, no reply!!!

If it is, well I may even get another !!! But don't tell the wife!!.

Pictures of mine are attached!

post-3682-1164917334.jpgpost-3682-1164917358.jpg

JonnyP

sorry to hijack the thread hear guy's , but im having the same delima with my 250 majesty re fitting modern bolt on oversized footrests these require the original footrest mounts to be ground off , so it will be no going back? but what do you do???

2fargone, Big John.

First off, yep I saw that one too, I did drop them a line to find out what the numbers were as well, as yet, no reply!!!

If it is, well I may even get another !!! But don't tell the wife!!.

Pictures of mine are attached!

post-3682-1164917334.jpgpost-3682-1164917358.jpg

JonnyP

Lovely Bike

Is that a Standard Comerfords Tank???

Vinnie

sorry to hijack the thread hear guy's , but im having the same delima with my 250 majesty re fitting modern bolt on oversized footrests these require the original footrest mounts to be ground off , so it will be no going back? but what do you do???

I dont know what the mount looks like on a majesty.......... but why dont you make a bracket that fits the original mount but has a modern mount attatched to it?? saves damaging the frame if it goes wrong

Hi Vinnie,

As 2fargone say's it's a BSA Victor type 'Lyta' petrol tank.

I've only ever seen one other Comerfords cub (at Gordon Farleys' shop) and it was the same.

Both the other one and mine have a plastic stopper and not a metal hinged filler cap, guess it was to reduce weight.

If you look at the ebay one it has a metal hinged cap!!

JonnyP

Hi Guys.

The tank caps were plastic on the cub to save on cost, the ones on the C15 were Monza alloy flip caps as the C15 was thought to be superior.

Big "J" they were Enots you were right , but they were taken over a long time ago by a multi national company UK based in Lichfield named Norgren, there is another company in the south named Newton-Equipment that make them as well. they are all expensive though

Regards Charlie.

Edited by charlie prescott