Tires Michelin Versus Other

rick1

In Northeastern US and other parts Michelin tires seem to be the most popular. I always hear how they are the best. Curious as to what is most popular in the UK? I have always used Michelins but I am considering Dunlops next. Any comments?

The french magazine did a test this month on about 7 tyres all pumped to 350g.

Results Mich XII far and away the best,

IRC also good, also suggested could be run softer,

Dunlop not recommended for price,

Mitas good value for money,

Rest forget about.

These are not my opinion's but a v.quick summary of the magazines findings.

Personally I have just gone back to Mich after trying IRC and Mitas (1 trial was enough).

I don't think that pumping the different tyres up to the same pressure will give accurate results.

I've found that the Dunlop D803 needs to be run at a lower pressure than the D801 to get the same sort of grip/feel.

My thoughts entirely, if you are doing a test you should run all tyres at optimum pressures not just at the best pressure for the tyre manufactured in your own country........ or am I just cynical.

In the text they did say IRC should be run softer so why on earth did'nt they do it.

Also as I said not my test results but it should narrow the choice down between Mich and IRC if you believe them.

I have run the IRC's for a while because they were cheaper. I was told the Michelin's had softer side walls and were more pucture prone but I don't know that for sure. I can say I have never had any problems with the IRC. I know a few people run the IRC on the rear and Michelin on the front. Me, I just run the IRC tires with no complaints. Got a new one in the garage waiting to be mounted on the TY.