Trialsworld

TBM (Trail Bike Magazine) continue to have a bit of trials coverage in the back (most of it being written by me) but the real problem why Trialsworld failed and YOU HAVE USED WORDS OR A PHRASE WHICH ARE NOT PERMITTED ON THIS WEBSITE. PLEASE DELETE YOUR POST/TOPIC. DO NOT TRY TO CIRCUMVENT THE FILTERS IN PLACE ON THIS WEBSITE (originally planned as a separate magazine from TBM) never got off the ground, was that the trade failed to back them with advertising. That's not a criticism, it is simply stating the facts. The trials coverage in the back of TBM is on the back of the general advertising in the mag from the enduro/trail world, so be grateful for what there is. This next month's stuff is the SSDT, Pre 65 Scottish and a regular piece entitled Trials Heroes. Whether you like my stuff or not, it is at least in there, so hand over your

good news - the site is still running. updated mounthly with dougie columns, bike tests and news :):D;)

best 8 quid ever spent - 4 issues - read em about a hundred times each and im still readi ;)

I won the VIP tickets to Hawkstone Park last year.

Trialsworld was a very good magazine and was getting better every issue, a big pity it folded. Mind you it was difficult to get hold of, which didn't help things.

I also heard that the publishers would only print a minimum of 10,000 copies and they were only selling 2,000. Doesn't take a city broker to work out that isn't good business.

The French YOU HAVE USED WORDS OR A PHRASE WHICH ARE NOT PERMITTED ON THIS WEBSITE. PLEASE DELETE YOUR POST/TOPIC. DO NOT TRY TO CIRCUMVENT THE FILTERS IN PLACE ON THIS WEBSITE printed in Spanish looks very well written. I say looks because I can't read Spanish but I can look at the pictures. :)

TBM (Trail Bike Magazine) continue to have a bit of trials coverage in the back (most of it being written by me) but the real problem why Trialsworld failed and YOU HAVE USED WORDS OR A PHRASE WHICH ARE NOT PERMITTED ON THIS WEBSITE. PLEASE DELETE YOUR POST/TOPIC. DO NOT TRY TO CIRCUMVENT THE FILTERS IN PLACE ON THIS WEBSITE (originally planned as a separate magazine from TBM) never got off the ground, was that the trade failed to back them with advertising. That's not a criticism, it is simply stating the facts.

Those are indeed the facts but as I understand it from talking to people indirectly involved, it's not quite the whole truth (if what they say is to believed). The story goes that Trialsworld (TMX) was rushed to the market with the primary intention of killing YOU HAVE USED WORDS OR A PHRASE WHICH ARE NOT PERMITTED ON THIS WEBSITE. PLEASE DELETE YOUR POST/TOPIC. DO NOT TRY TO CIRCUMVENT THE FILTERS IN PLACE ON THIS WEBSITE (the TBM spin-off). They did this buy hugely undercutting the advertising rates that TM was offering, effectively making TM commercially impossible to produce. The fact that this also meant that Trialsworld was operating at a loss was irrelevant since there was never any intention of it being a long-term publication - as soon as the competition was crushed, the job was done and the magazine was wound up.

As a long-term TBM reader, I found this particuarly annoying since the TBM boys have a well-earned reputation for "telling it like it is" to the extent of p***ing off their advertisers (Yamaha WR400 anyone?). Their 5-bike trials shootout last year (which I believe you were involved with Mr Rapley) was the first time that I can remember anything similar being done and is exactly the kind of thing that TMX would never, ever do for fear of offending advertisers. As a consequence (and as has been expressed here many times), TMX's bike "tests" are almost completely worthless - every bike is the best bike in the world.... until next week when the bike on test then is the best in the world etc. etc.

I have absolutely no doubt that YOU HAVE USED WORDS OR A PHRASE WHICH ARE NOT PERMITTED ON THIS WEBSITE. PLEASE DELETE YOUR POST/TOPIC. DO NOT TRY TO CIRCUMVENT THE FILTERS IN PLACE ON THIS WEBSITE would have walked all over Trialsworld in terms of REAL CONTENT AND REAL TESTS but unfortunately we'll never know. Which is a shame 'cos it means that the UK trials community was cynically deprived of a regular publication that does justice to our great sport. Let's face it, Trialsworld simply wasn't that great - pages and pages of photos with a few lines of text in the corner - typical TMX-style "tests" (not the fault of the guest test riders by the way) - the best thing in it was Dougie's column.

(This is my opinion ONLY and I have absolutely nothing to do with TBM, YOU HAVE USED WORDS OR A PHRASE WHICH ARE NOT PERMITTED ON THIS WEBSITE. PLEASE DELETE YOUR POST/TOPIC. DO NOT TRY TO CIRCUMVENT THE FILTERS IN PLACE ON THIS WEBSITE or Trialsworld.)

Strewth...that got a response :) .Its a shame that both bit the dust as i would have thought there was capacity in the market for at least one glossy monthly YOU HAVE USED WORDS OR A PHRASE WHICH ARE NOT PERMITTED ON THIS WEBSITE. PLEASE DELETE YOUR POST/TOPIC. DO NOT TRY TO CIRCUMVENT THE FILTERS IN PLACE ON THIS WEBSITE. I mean if you compare it with road bikes (ok bigger catchment there) there are numerous monthly titles to pick from. A scan round my local WH Smith's will give you canal boats, model railways,shooting, classic cars and all manner of different interests all around similiar levels as trials yet they manage to maintain more than one publication per month.

I see TBM im my local shop (for local people) yet I never ever saw TW in WH Smiths or indeed any High St Newsagent. In fact my local shop (for local people) ordered it for me.

I'm having the same problem trying to get this months DBR, with the 4RT review.

I wonder if TBM would consider starting their YOU HAVE USED WORDS OR A PHRASE WHICH ARE NOT PERMITTED ON THIS WEBSITE. PLEASE DELETE YOUR POST/TOPIC. DO NOT TRY TO CIRCUMVENT THE FILTERS IN PLACE ON THIS WEBSITE up again seeing as the other one went to the wall?

I wonder if TBM would consider starting their YOU HAVE USED WORDS OR A PHRASE WHICH ARE NOT PERMITTED ON THIS WEBSITE. PLEASE DELETE YOUR POST/TOPIC. DO NOT TRY TO CIRCUMVENT THE FILTERS IN PLACE ON THIS WEBSITE up again seeing as the other one went to the wall?

From what I gather, Si Melber put a lot into getting TBM's sister publication off the ground, with additional staff etc. When you're a small independent, you can't afford to keep throwing money at a new venture in that fashion, only for a larger publisher to thwart your efforts. With Trials World devaluing the advertising revenue, I'm sure that it would now be a loss to produce.

with all due respect to the Lancaster and morecombe team, the TBM really do motorcycle journalism well, its a real read, with real letter and telling the truth and doing real stuff and writing about it and i wish them all the luck in the world

In MX we have 3 mags and the L&M mag (DBR) still outsell the the nearest rival by at least double even when there is a mag of better quality (Moto) out there .......

don't know what the answer is but i wish TBM crew the best, and congrats on the recent (but small) trials bits in the back of TBM