Buying A Used 4rt

neonsurge

I currently own a Beta Rev-3 which I love to bits but is getting to the point where it's going to need quite a lot of money spent on it to keep it in tip-top condition (it's had a hard life!) I have the opportunity to buy a used (2005) 4RT and I'm tempted by the apprently bulletproof reliability and the fact that it's the latest technology and all that.

Is there anyone else here who has switched from Beta? How do the two compare (for reasons that I won't go into I haven't actually ridden a 4RT yet)? What should I look out for on a used 4RT?

All comments gratefully received. I need to make a decision in the next 24 hours or so....

Edited by neonsurge

This won't help much but I know someone who went from an 05 Beta to a 4rt and is now back on an 06 Beta. I don't know the reasons for changing except to say that I don't think he had a problem with any of the bikes :)

i went from an 02 rev 3 to an 05 4rt and i love it

it makes me smile everytime i fire it up and here that rustle

then one quick turn of the throttle and its in to an instant bark,the

suspension is so smoooooth,there built very very well, you can get to everything they are a bit more work than a 2t to maintain, but worth every minute. i changed the engine oil and filter and cleaned the air filter last weekend and it only took me about 25 mins and i am no spanner man.

then on the other hand one of my riding mates went from an 04 montesa to an

05 4rt and couldnt get to grips with it and is now on an 06 rev 3, but people

who rode both our 4rts said that his was very dificult to ride, and by that

i mean it wasnt as smooth on the power as mine and the clutch was a nightmare, but as far as i know the only clutch differance was i use elf htx740 or is it 470 cant remember all i know is its dear,but its good.

jsp

just email me if you have any more questions.

I rise a 270 06 Rev3 and had an 05 before it.I've ridden my brother's Repsol Rep 05 4RT. I think it's easier going from Beta to 4Rt than Gasser, as the Beta is a bit front-heavy and so's the Mont. I was impressed with the steering- very positive and planted, not skittish like the Gasser. It rides lighter than it looks, but obviously still feels bulkier than a Beta. It does take some time to "trust it" on steps, and after spectating at the SSDT, it seems many marks were lost by riders rolling off the throttle too much and losing momentum. I agree that the clutch could be better and I personally couldn't adjust my brother's bike to how I like it, which is to bite very early.

I've noted a vogue for tarting up 4RTs- really odd as there wasn't so much of a customising trend before they came on the scene. My personal feeling is that punters fall in love with the sound of the engine rather than the performance of the bike as a whole, and it is seductive!

If you're not too fussed about your results, just want to enjoy yourself and like tinkering, I think it's the bike to buy.

The only way to know if you will like the 4RT is to actually ride one for a few hours. Everyone has their own preferences for the skill level they are riding. If after spending some time with it and you like it - get one. If you don't like it for one reason or another, try something else. It is always better to get your own impressions of a bike because you are the one who has to live with it. I have never relied on the opinions of others when I buy. This way you have no one to blame but yourself if for some reason it does not work out for you. Personally I bought the 4RT when it first came out. It immediately filled all my expectations for my skill level and still does. This is not to say that it is the best trials bike available - it is the best bike for me at this time. It is the first bike of the 30 that I have owned that I have kept for a second season and perhaps many more. Good luck with whatever decision you make. I am sure we will hear about it on this forum - either positive or negative.

:)

I agree with some of the previous points but what is it about a 4RT that attracts the anoraks,the 'max-power'blingers?!

There was some accountant-type a few weeks ago on about Hondas fiscal performance for the last tax year linked to the sales of 4RTs....oops..yawn..fell asleep there..where am I?..oh I'm on the computer.

I mean is the bike so poor that it needs all this customising? I think not.

If I drop it in a stream,will it blow its head off?

How on earth do us plebs with 'carbs' manage to finish a trial?

In the 1960's while the space-race was at its peak, The Americans at NASA were striving to design the latest high performance pen:

The pen could write -underwater,upside down,in a vacuum,in zero gravity and the budget was $1 million plus..The Russians, they used a pencil!

Excuse the sarcasm.Do you see my point?

Like the previous posts stated---riding the thing for yourself is the only way.

Truth be told I am scared of riding one in case i like it.

Edited by HAM2

Didn't know I was opening a can of worms! The only reasons I'm considering a 4RT are (1) I fancy a change of bike and the only brands I'd consider are Beta or Montesa (personal reasons, don't read too much into that!) and (2) this particular 4RT came along at the right time (and there's not many used ones around).

I think the reason that there's so many bling bits available for the 4RT is the fact that it's a Honda and the Japanse are mad for their customising. If you look at a few of the Jap trials web sites you'll find that there's almost the same amount of trick bits available for the Scorpa (or Yamaha as it is over there). Nothing more to it than that.

And sticking loads of carbon-fibre and billet parts to your bike isn't compulsory you know :)

Edited by neonsurge

Didn't know I was opening a can of worms! The only reasons I'm considering a 4RT are (1) I fancy a change of bike and the only brands I'd consider are Beta or Montesa (personal reasons, don't read too much into that!) and (2) this particular 4RT came along at the right time (and there's not many used ones around).

I think the reason that there's so many bling bits available for the 4RT is the fact that it's a Honda and the Japanse are mad for their customising. If you look at a few of the Jap trials web sites you'll find that there's almost the same amount of trick bits available for the Scorpa (or Yamaha as it is over there). Nothing more to it than that.

And sticking loads of carbon-fibre and billet parts to your bike isn't compulsory you know :)

Aye ,

That's how it all starts (it's addictive)...you browse a few 'speciality'web sites..wink,wink..then you buy a little mail order parcel or two (in unmarked brown paper packaging)..then before you know it.. you're sending in a photo for the readers rides section. ;)

Your choice is your own, no offence intended :D

neonsurge

If you buy a 4rt you have to give yourself some time to adapt to the 4T engine. I have had one for 1 1/2 years now and now I think I'm driving better than I ever have done. In the begining it was no good at all, but now the bike does what I want it to do (almost!). What really transformed it was the Mitani exhaust system and the programable ECU, now everything just fit me perfectly.

Edited by Ludde

i'M WITH LUDDE,

Get a mitani header pipe, it gets rid if the third brake (when you close the throttle)

Although i am guilty as charged of buying "bling" for my 4rt, and lots of it, it doesn't need it, i just like it, and it's different!! <_<

Of course you never see blinged up gassers/ shercos etc, of course you do. It's called personal choice!

I suspect that secretly you want one!!

5 grand, try reading the post again, he's considering a second hander, about three and a half grand, or the same as a new, smelly stroker.

My advice would be .....try it, if you like it.....buy it.

I must admit that it DOES take a bit of getting used to, and the clutch action is a bit on/ off for my liking, but i, personnaly wouldn't go back to a stroker.