Flat Rate

Not enough incentive for young riders to consider contesting world rounds?.

No factory rider contracts.

No factory teams.

No works bikes.

Factories reach an agreement with FIM on fixed flat rate price a world round point is worth.

The championship is a true production model championship with personal tuneing permitted.

Flat rate fee is given for every world round point earned, the best will earn the most as now, but the incentive to ride for $$ is there for the lower ranked rider.

And burn all bibs other than the riders bib <_<

The factories were complaining it's too expensive to ship the circus all round the world, all they would have to ship is the factory rep with the check/cheque book, the stock bikes are there anyway.

Each rider would have an equal chance at earning the same rewards, and the factories would have more $$ to give hqving saved a fortune on contracts and expenses.

Edited by ishy

Interesting comments about the bib's / minders.

One of the responses I got back on some questions I asked was that we needed to get rid of the minders etc. That trials has now become more of a business and a "team" sport, then it was in the time period this rider was competing at the top levels in.

I also wanted to add in about the minders in the sections, and this seems to be as good as any place. (sorry not meant to hijack your thread Ishy)

We had 5 observors on my section, and I dragged along an extra freind to help us write scores on the board and what not.

It was clearly stated to us to keep the minders out of the sections, and that they should ask prior to entrance into the section and only for the sole purpose of safety spotting for their rider..... (Ya, right)

Well, I can tell you, that it was somewhat overwhelming. We made it a priority to give fair and consistent calls to the rider in the section, and the keeping the minders etc. out was put on the back burner, matter of fact, I think it fell off the stove.

Best I can say, is that if that is to be enforced, and next time at my section it will be done better, I want another bib that said

Minder thrower out of section person.

And I think I will have to bring a good size ole boy with me to back that up....

So is Trials now a "Team" sport?

I think it is.

The best riders would be the winners has they still would be the most desirable outside sponsor prospect and obviously earn the most points, but the sport would have more of a level playing field.

Minders, do the FIM stop a rider from competing in a world championship if he doesn't have one ? if thier concern was safety then they would.

I like your idea Ishy. I think the overwhelming number of minders for the top lads is ruining the sport altogether from what it is supposed to be. The RIDER and his machine against nature. Why not eliminate minders altogether, and each section provide enough "spotter's" for the dangerous parts! This would also get rid of Al's new job as "minder bouncer" though!

Steve

I know where you are coming from Steve, but I sure do not want to be up there where I saw some of the catchers at the WR.

It crossed my mind as I watched a minder / catcher wrap his wrist into the support rope, what would happen if he got a firm grip on the bike and his roped in wrist caught the quick snap of rider, bike and himself as they all slipped on that hill....... I only need to look at Jessie's thumb to know.

I think you either have to eliminate that type of risk (which I do not see) or enforce the rules that exist (which we can do, but I just need to set better for it)

I don't think the rider's will be as willing to really go for it when the risk is high without a couple of minder's there to catch, but maybe this creates the atmosphere that will be more condusive to having more riders again. Look at the Scottish, it is illegal to have anyone other than yourself working on the bike. Not applicable I know but, anything that makes the sport more of JUST the rider and machine against the other guy, will be better in the long run!

It also might fuel the accessory business when all the bikes have to be stock, as Ishy says!

I don't think the rider's will be as willing to really go for it when the risk is high without a couple of minder's there to catch, but maybe this creates the atmosphere that will be more condusive to having more riders again. Look at the Scottish, it is illegal to have anyone other than yourself working on the bike. Not applicable I know but, anything that makes the sport more of JUST the rider and machine against the other guy, will be better in the long run!

It also might fuel the accessory business when all the bikes have to be stock, as Ishy says!

There is one BIG thing going for this idea and that is it saves having to fund the costs of the Minder.

The factory support, minders in the section is all part of the drama and entertainment. Take it away and the sport is less appealing.

The comments on the Shaun / Browny relationship are spot on. Shaun is one of the top minders out there.

I have a solution to the minder problem.

Invisible Fencing for dogs. Shock collar on the minders.

Observer turns of the fence, single minder steps inside the boundry.

Observer turns fence back on. Presto!

No other minders can come in without getting zapped.

Add one of those hand held radio controls just for fun and extra zaps.

I know where you are coming from Steve, but I sure do not want to be up there where I saw some of the catchers at the WR.

It crossed my mind as I watched a minder / catcher wrap his wrist into the support rope, what would happen if he got a firm grip on the bike and his roped in wrist caught the quick snap of rider, bike and himself as they all slipped on that hill.......

Edited by ishy

Re Minders

a bit of the subject but minders in trials is a big part of the sport at top level but this just does not happen, a good bond between minder and rider takes a lot of time and effort, The Mighty Atom & Shaun were practicing minding tech this weekend at Low north camp, including Time, when to call time

when tyo shout when not to shout all these thing as well as riding come into it

PS Shaun does do a great job for Michael

Re Minders

a bit of the subject but minders in trials is a big part of the sport at top level but this just does not happen, a good bond between minder and rider takes a lot of time and effort, The Mighty Atom & Shaun were practicing minding tech this weekend at Low north camp, including Time, when to call time

when tyo shout when not to shout all these thing as well as riding come into it

PS Shaun does do a great job for Michael

pity Atom couldn't have fit him in his back pack in the SSDT then isn't it, he might not have lost them 15 minutes <_<