Progression Of Skills For Us Trials Riders

alan bechard

I was fortunate enough to be able to attend the last day of the American trials youth training camp last week.

I had time for once, and the others around had time as well, as we were not directly competing in events ourselves to discuss some things, and as would be expected, one of the topics was the level of skill and improvement and the riding of the Young American riders there.

Many folks keep hammering away that to improve a riders level, we need to go to Europe to do this. I do not see this to be a fact.

What I believe needs to happen is that our aspiring riders need the opportunity to ride with better riders in a group, not in a competition, because honestly, how much do you ride with the other riders in the competition? But in a "pushing each other" type atmosphere. They also need to have riders of higher calibre, or at least teachers of higher calibre to point out what they need to do.

It really became clear watching that Saturday as the young men where lining up on a log in the campground and working to get on top of it. Spotter up top, and the young men taking turns seeing who can make it up.

That group dynamic, of pushing each other, and seeing what was working for the other guy, really hit home to me that we need to do all that we can to foster that if possible. The American training camp that TTC / RYP USA put on is the right step, and I believe it will continue to improve. I see the next step as bringing in a really high level rider to push the level up even further.

If you look at the logistics and effectiveness of getting 20 American kids and machines to Europe to train, it is simply overwhelming and not likely to happen. However, the logistics of getting a world class star, to the US, to complement the top US rider instructors that are there is pretty do able.

I would suggest that maybe some of you folks that are railing so much about how you want to see another US champ, put some true effort into helping the US kids that are likely to be that person, achieve that goal.

Agree with your overview of the training camp, its a great idea from what I saw. I must point out that dynamic was also present during the 70s, when we developed 2 world champions. A large group of riders rode together in and out of competition, which pushed the level up. Your observation couldn't be more correct.

I'm not just saying that because you let me kiss you either, Alan. We agree.

Competing is also important, it should not be downplayed, you might take a second look at that factor Alan. I also agree that getting large groups of kids to Europe is tough. Somehow we managed to do that as well in the 70s through the El Trial and the importers.

Not sure if this should be a seperate topic or just tied in under here.

If you could have any trainer in the world for Trials (someone living) come out and teach at the American Youth Camp, who would it be?

Current world champ?

Past World Champ?

Trainer of a world Champ?

What would be your "standard" to grade on? or What would be the most important attributes that you would look for?

You want to pick that person not only by there ability to ride, but by there ability to teach what they know. Some individuals who are highly talented make a lot of manuevers look easy becuase they don't have to think about it. to teach someone else, you need to know how and why you make a manuever. Example: Ryan Young's video shows how not only how well he rides, but also he knows how to break down a movement to better teach someone how to use it.

I know Im not lane, but you know how opinions are: I would take Dougie or his Dad, no language barrier to overcome!

I am going to try to arrange a school with James Lampkin in the Fall at TTC .. I have to find a set of dates and then try to see about getting the Youth There.. Not Sure But I am sure Dan and TTC will be responsive as well .. Talked with James at the WTC In TN. Now have to try to arrange the rest.. any takers and what weekend would be good for Pat... Cody... Will ...Ronnie ...Etc... Let me have a couple of dates each ..we need about ten kids..

I am going to try to arrange a school with James Lampkin in the Fall at TTC .. I have to find a set of dates and then try to see about getting the Youth There.. Not Sure But I am sure Dan and TTC will be responsive as well .. Talked with James at the WTC In TN. Now have to try to arrange the rest.. any takers and what weekend would be good for Pat... Cody... Will ...Ronnie ...Etc... Let me have a couple of dates each ..we need about ten kids..

I too asked James about his fall schedule and he was interested in coming to the midwest when I asked. I'm sure Patrick would love to go back to TTC instead.

Great observations Al!

1-If you also noticed that most the Euro Youth and Junior get together and practice!

Some of it is spontanious, they push each other!

Providing the oppertunity for a "get together" is a key factor!

2- Provide guidence , help and a "push"! Spark the flame!

Wether it be Bruce, Ryan(maybe the best in the US), or others, even a minder or minders!

People work together to help!

3- The Competition! Use what you learn! Reinforce the learning! Stretch your skills!

ADD FUEL to the fire!

BUILD THE FIRE WITHIN and nurture it for those that want it! Those kids have a lot of drive!

And so do the Euro kids!

Although the Youth nationals are a great thing and I do not want to criticize as I was not there, it did seem the format this year was opposite to the learning based theory I just stated here! Maybe others know differently!

My 2c.

MC

I believe James Lampkin is the guy to start with! After all he is the offical ACU British trainer. Trouble is that some US riders are so good now that they cannot learn from him, not because they know everything but because they think they do. Daniel had the oppertunity to go to his school, while I watched, it was good.

The Spanish also have a great team trainer who did a school in Italy that Debbie attended. I had the oppertunity to watch that school, it was good. I can't for the life of me remember the riders name right now? He's a past top ten contender.

I know Im not lane, but you know how opinions are: I would take Dougie or his Dad, no language barrier to overcome!

You sure about that? I only live 40-odd miles from Silsden and I sometimes have trouble understanding what those buggers are on about! :rolleyes:

BTW, I did a training day with James Lampkin last year and if you're expecting to be taught how to hop around and fly up 6' steps you're going to be disappointed. Fundamentals, fundamentals, fundamentals.... which is how it shoud and needs to be of course. James' assistant for the day was cousin Ben Hemingway - another fantastic teacher!

I am going to throw my vote in for Kip Webb. He has great abilities to teach and can tell you to a tee what you did wrong. He lives in the USA of course. Some people are great riders and others teachers. I think Kip can do both.

The problem with some schools is that the classes are to big. Riders are of different levels. You dont get the attention needed. I think Ron had it a ten. Even better ten of the top riders.

Wow a whole post and not one insult to Lane. That counciling is really working.

Clive, I hate to be the one to break the news to you, but just because Kip told you that you suck does not make him a good instructor!

He tells everyone you suck!

Ego thing, maybe?

:beer:

ps-Don't feel bad, Chaves told me I sucked too, in spanglish! :D

If you want to be the best, you have to play with the best. And the best is currently in Europe!

You are correct, how DO you make it to Spain to practice? :P

If you want to be the best, you have to play with the best. And the best is currently in Europe!

You are correct, how DO you make it to Spain to practice? :D

Well, I'm considering a trials holiday to the TTC in Sequatchie - So I presume you guys do the same in reverse. Another idea is like I have already suggested, put them up over there at the TTC for a trials holiday then learn from them. Dates are a problem with that so we would need to look at calendars but it should be possible. I have already offered to get Ross out there but one or two of the other top ones may want to go as well.