04 Rev3 Main Bearings

hamster

There's a simple test that I usually apply in such situations: If the cost of sorting out a botched job is equal to or greater than the cost of getting someone who knows what they're doing to do it in the first place, whip the engine out and take it 'round to your friendly local engine builder!

Geek version:

public void ShouldITryThis(object theJob)

{

if (theJob.CostOfRepairingABotch >= theJob.CostOfGettingItDoneProperly)

{

GetItDoneProperly(theJob);

}

else

{

GoodLuckWith(theJob);

}

}

the way i look at it is if i do it i can ride at the end of the month if i pay someone i can afford to get it fixed around christmas. have stripped plenty of car engines just never my bike didn't know if everything had to come off e.g. remove all the gears out of gear box. by the way a quote for the job doing included 20 hours labour far too much money

Edited by hamster

by the way a quote for the job doing included 20 hours labour far too much money

I recently had the engine in my '03 Rev3 rebuilt including main bearings, crank seals, usual top-end stuff (didn't need a new piston or replate) and various other bits and pieces. The total cost including parts and labour was

• 1 month later...

fitted bearings quite easily that freezer trick works put all fluids back in started bike rode it a little then it started p***ing coolant ah you've guessed it water pump casing has rotted through this after lampkins told me this repsol stuff will not eat through the case another 60 quid gone going to take up hopscotch its cheaper

Geek version:

public void ShouldITryThis(object theJob)

{

if (theJob.CostOfRepairingABotch >= theJob.CostOfGettingItDoneProperly)

{

GetItDoneProperly(theJob);

}

else

{

GoodLuckWith(theJob);

}

}

I understood that, should I be worried? :)

Go for it hamster they are a piece of p--s compared to car engines you will after remove clutch basket and crank weight and split it in half! I have done a few beta engines and plenty of other 2 stroke engines if you get stuck gives us a shout im in your area of the woods!