Trials Riders Switching To Enduro

atomant

I was just thinking that of late in our neck of the woods, the common theme of discussion in the paddocks is Enduro. Some riders have already switched and some are considering it.

The events are well managed and subscribed to . They do appear to be more costly to enter but it doesn't put people off.

So , the question is, is anyone else noticing an exodus from trials to enduro?

Had a year at Enduro/hare and hounds, really enjoyed it and the trials experience was a real help. Costs a hell of a lot of money though and takes up just about every spare hour you ve got. Back to trials now though, more of a laugh and much cheaper

I cant understand why you want to have a go at enduro Gaz? surely your too old. The bits and pieces in your body take too long to mend when you break them at your age matey :D

and thats the point? why would peeps who now have careers and families want to risk the injuries when they are at an age when they can ill afford it?

its good fun, so why not do enduros (or anything else) - trials riders seam to be doing quiete well in the SEEC ...

Yeah, tis good fun but I am told base jumping is good fun but would you do that?

Atom. Tom & I have just returned from the GB Hare Scramble Championship at Pentbontfawr. Organised by Steve Ireland and the WOR team. Absolutly superb !!!!

Tom rode one and half hour in morning and I rode 2 hr afternoon. Had problem with clutch on KTM with Tom so I rode the trials bike for 2 laps whilst KTM was fixed. I was certainly not disgraced holeshoting 4th of line (pack of 20 riders) and holding place till bike gave up ! Jumpt on KTM to finish!

Very well organised, very relaxed and a terrific 6 mile course. Yes expensive but I feel value for money.

Totally different to trials in fact very little comparison. Both are great fun so a combination of both is perfect !

Watch TMX News and see the coverage they get this week from the meeting today!

I did 4 years of Enduros when I was in my mid 20's, bloody good fun but a couple of drawbacks.

First the cost, expensive to enter, and hideously expensive to run the bike, loads of travelling involved too.

The other main reason for switching back to trials, was after 4 seasons, I knew the guys I travelled in the van with, but never really got to talk to anyone else !!!

Would recommend that everyone has a go at them......they always say a fast trials rider will be good at Enduros......looking at the top guys in the UK seems to back that up.

Martin

I've been thinking about this over the last day. When a trials rider turns 25, he (she) has generally been competing for about 10 years. At that point it's dawned on him or her that they're about as good as they're ever going to get and enduros looks like a bit of fun. They also (if not married) have a bit of spare cash so it's off to the local shop to buy an enduro bike. Lo and behold, trials riders make good enduro riders so they start pulling in some good results. The wheels fall of when the kids come along 'cause enduros is (as mentioned) really expensive. So it's back to trials.

I had an absolute razzle in enduros and, if I could afford it, would do both. But I reached a point in enduros where I was SCARED! And I mean really scared. To get from regular 4th/5th places in fields of up to 200 to 1st you had to leave your brain in the toolbox. This I couldn't do. Believe me, 100km/h 30cm from a barbed wire fence sharpens your mind.

Sounds about spot on toofastTim, did the same with road racing, first really bad off packed it in - kids,job,wife descision was easy. I enjoyed Hare and hounds but found the time it required to keep the bike 100% every week and the travelling just got a little to much. 2 hours in the workshop every night and driving 150 miles back home from wales every sunday after 4 hours flat out on the WR was taking its toll.

well i supose they are more expensive and further afield compared to the normal trial but compared to MX they are cheap and value for money. trials riders seam to be able to handle the really technical stuff well (and amke up lots of ground on the ex MX'ers). depends on the event's going - some are opena nd fast where the mx boys do well, others are tight and nagery where trials boys excell.

I think you have it all sussed out TooFastTim! Its all about massaging the ol' ego by the sounds of it <_<

Not "just" massaging the ego atom. Bit like looking for a new challange. I agree it's a hoot to ride yr first enduro and finish right up in the results. But moving up further takes muchos effort.

Rabie, it don't take long for a trials rider to fathom riding flat box across a field. Whooped out field maybe. The hardest bit (in my experience) was learning that a spinning rear wheel ain't neccesarily a bad thing.