Gas Gas Are They Any Good

eddie_lejeune

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have read this topic over and over again and have notived that in the majority of cases people have been saying that gasgas's are crap (the people who have) well the bikes they have had trouble with are older bikes rather than the newer models so they are obviously going to be crap in comparison to say an '06 bike. also the gasgas is much lighter than all of the other bikes on the market so are better for a begginner to use because they can haul it around alot bewtter yet experts can do there stuff ie. flick turns easily in them. i have had no problems with my '05 125cc gasgas other than recently the big end bearing has gone. they are no more maintenance than the betas if you look after them correctly, i see time and time again bikes being took up to the quarry or whatever with dirt still on from the last ride and i have friends that don't clean them properly or maintain them properly so they do have problems with them. i say get one but just do regular maintenanbce and it will be fine. :thumbup:

:thumbup: me thinks you are out of touch a bit!! Selling your Fantic 240(too much power) buying a TL250 (trying to make it lighter) and now the Mont 315 is the most durable. Have you owned one? Have you owned any other modern(post 2000) bike???We all appreciate good feedback from people who have had first hand experiences with bikes, but I don't think that is the case here! Mostly ALL the modern bikes are GOOD, it is just personal preference!

Steve

:thumbup: me thinks you are out of touch a bit!! Selling your Fantic 240(too much power) buying a TL250 (trying to make it lighter) and now the Mont 315 is the most durable. Have you owned one? Have you owned any other modern(post 2000) bike???We all appreciate good feedback from people who have had first hand experiences with bikes, but I don't think that is the case here! Mostly ALL the modern bikes are GOOD, it is just personal preference!

Steve

i think steves right there on all parts montesa 315 are very reliable...my dad has an '04 one and he's had no problems with it although it is down to personal preferance have a go on as many bikes as possible and see which one you prefer!

Steve

I didn't sell my Fantic 240 because it had too much power, I sold it because I quit a ****ty job I was in for ten years and was not sure where I was going next.

I was looking to work overseas. Had to unload excess luggage to have surplus cash on hand "just in case", and so I could move everything I had, faster. It's not the only thing I had unloaded. My friends and girlfriend all asked me if I was sure I wanted to sell it, as I really liked the bike (except the front forks were too soft).

It also needed some fixing and I do not have any place to tear a bike apart and fix it bit by bit. Outlaw Dave does and has done what needed to be done to it with good success. If the Fantic was in MINT and out of the box condition, I knew what my next career move was at the time, had a larger cash surplus, etc. I would have been hesitant to sell it.

When I found the TL-250, which is in awesome shape, it had the original chain, sprockets, and tires on it, and not worn out! (otherwise I wouldn't have touched it) I thought it would be easy to find the weight reducing kits and bits available for it in the 70's, as lots is available for the TL-125. I was mistaken. Haven't yet found a good price on a lightweight exhaust system for it. If the trick bits for a TL-250 were as readily availble as the TL-125, I would have changed it bit by bit.

The old Fantic, very capable, the old Honda, heavy but fun.

<>

But hey, this is about modern stuff like Gas Gas:

Going by what I have seen on Message boards owners seem to overall find the Honda 315 most durable and reliable. It seems to have an edge over the other bikes in this aspect or so I think I have read in the other forums. I could be wrong. This does not mean lightest and most rideable. As you say, that is personal preference. No, I have not owned one.

Don't always go by what you read or people tell you, as much as personal observations. I personally have seen many a Mont frame being welded. All the new bikes are good. I don't believe one brand is superior than the other as far as reliability is concerned. They all require routine maintenance, or, any one of them will have problems.

bought a brand new 01txt280 its been riden hard and put away wet for the last 5 years.here goes my parts list over that time

1 master cyclender(rear) $130-OR $40

1 REAR FENDER-$100 (KID BROKE IT)

NOT BAD FOR 5 YEARS USE. bought the kid an 04 sherco last year and lost count of the cost to fix it and its still not right. i would buy another gas gas in a second.dealer support should be the first thing to look into before buying any brand,if your local dealer sells all the brands than its just a matter of what color bike you want to ride.