Gas Gas Are They Any Good

eddie_lejeune

Hi all, i have always had betas since 1998, basically im thinking of a change this year, i quite fancy a gasser but have always been of the opinion that they are a pile of ***** in the sense that if you buy one you nearly need to have as many spares for it. With the beta its virtually maintenance free but i feel its now becoming rather heavy and outdated compared to the like of the gassers, let me know what you all think cheers!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ive had two gassers for the last two years a 2001 one and now a 2006 one and i havent had any problems with neither of them parts wise, the only thing really that needs doing is bearings every so often likew in the wheels and that but you probably do that on your beta anyway, some people also say that the gassers are more maintenence which they probably are but if you look after them they are ok. i think the gasser is a great bike and i wouldn`t change from one!

Keep loyal to Beta..bought a 280 Pro '06 for my lad at Xmas and had a few problems..fixings are poor quality, air box won't keep a water buffalo out let alone water. Have had to replace cylinder head gasket as oil/water was pi**ing out at med revs (3 bikes have had same problem in our centre). My lad does love riding it however, its just that I wait his every return home expecting to spend hours (and money) putting the bike back together.

Buy a new Beta.

When I had my 02 125 gasser it would break easily wuite often, it got to the point where if I came back from a trial and nothing went wrong then I'd be ecstatic, that didn't happen often though. Although I am a pretty ***** rider and fall off a lot, so remember to take that into account.

Apart from the breakages it was a lovely bike to ride, very light and manouverable, it just depends whether you can afford the time and money it takes to look after it.

ive had two gassers for the last two years a 2001 one and now a 2006 one and i havent had any problems with neither of them parts wise, the only thing really that needs doing is bearings every so often likew in the wheels and that but you probably do that on your beta anyway, some people also say that the gassers are more maintenence which they probably are but if you look after them they are ok. i think the gasser is a great bike and i wouldn`t change from one!

If i were you i would stick with Beta. last year my gasser txt 125 2000 had a lot of problems. i ended up having to re build the whole new backwheel because the hub cracked in half! Now i have a Beta 06, and the fact that it may be a bit heavier than a GasGas is not an issue, as i find i am improving much quicker than i would have done on my gasser. :thumbup:

05 280 pro.

-No problems, had it since feb.

-im a beginner dont ride it hard,

-look after it, wash it and dry and and make sure the spokes dont rust.

Only problem i have had was when i put synthetic clutch fluid in....and had to change all the seals... OUPS

Im sorry but being in the scene a while i get back a vibe about each bike,

- Sherco's seem to have had a fair few problems with stator plates ??

- Beta's have had dodgy wiring ?

- Scorpas.....skoda's...... ?

- GasGas... light but poor build quality ?

But these are all people's opinions... and with so many people out there... no one is truely right

Make your own decision.

I love my GG its pretty, and does everything i want it to ! but then again i do end up cleaning it all the bloody time... i just respect it too much ! :thumbup::beer:

If i were you i would stick with Beta. last year my gasser txt 125 2000 had a lot of problems. i ended up having to re build the whole new backwheel because the hub cracked in half! Now i have a Beta 06, and the fact that it may be a bit heavier than a GasGas is not an issue, as i find i am improving much quicker than i would have done on my gasser. :thumbup:

Thats a 2000 model if your going to get a gasser at least get a recent model not saying they are alot better than the txts cos they were bullet proof but the newer pros 04- 06 seem to be mint.

Keep loyal to Beta..bought a 280 Pro '06 for my lad at Xmas and had a few problems..fixings are poor quality, air box won't keep a water buffalo out let alone water. Have had to replace cylinder head gasket as oil/water was pi**ing out at med revs (3 bikes have had same problem in our centre). My lad does love riding it however, its just that I wait his every return home expecting to spend hours (and money) putting the bike back together.

Buy a new Beta.

things like this put me off a gasser

When I had my 02 125 gasser it would break easily wuite often, it got to the point where if I came back from a trial and nothing went wrong then I'd be ecstatic

and this

If i were you i would stick with Beta. last year my gasser txt 125 2000 had a lot of problems. i ended up having to re build the whole new backwheel because the hub cracked in half

i dont even have to clean the carb or change the plug on my beta....

Edited by Eddie_Lejeune

Yes well sometimes when i got to a trial my Gas Gas didnt used to start, sometimes i ended up not being able to ride. I looked after it and chainged the spark plug reguarly. But we still had problems that shouldnt occur when we looked after it as well as we did.

One thing you have to remember is that (at least in my area) the Gassers are by far the most prevelant bikes, so it's understandable that you'll see a higher quantity of problems. Also, people don't tend to shout about it so much when their bikes run perfectly. In my family we've got a mix of bikes (2 Betas, 1 Gas Gas and 1 Scorpa) and the only bike that's had repeated and unexpected problems has been the 250 Beta. The Gas Gas has probably been the most reliable of the lot (although that's got a lot to do with the amount of crash damage I've inflicted on my Scorpa). In fact, I'm currently looking at switching from Scorpa to Gas Gas, and that's coming from a previously anti-Gasser position. All models of bikes have their issues, and all will probably warrant some tweaking to get them how you want them, but I think realistically anything less than 3 years old will be fairly comparable in the chances of having something go wrong. It all comes down to what you feel most comfortable riding.

yes but realise ytour going from a 2000 model to a 2006 model huuuuuuuuuuge difference!6 years of development infact.

id vote gasgas!

Edited by ned1