Tyre Inflation

vaughan

Many Thanks for all the advice on how to remove a tyre from the rim, some sound advice and some best left be,

Now that my new tyre is back on the wheel, How do I get the bead baxck on the rim so I can blow it up, air pressure alone does not work, is there some trick way,

I once saw Clarkson on top gear put Lighter fluid in a deflated tyre then throw a match at it the explosion nicely popped the tyre back onto the rim and inflated it too, I wont be trying that though, well not just yet.

Cheers,

Vaughan.

said this bit was fun

take the valve out of the stem(lets more air in faster) the best peice of kit is one of the foam rings but av old pushbike inner tube will do,cover it with tyer soap or fairy liquid mount both sides of the tyer as norm then push the tube/ring in the gap between the tyer and rim,blow away ,compresser almost vital here,

the pressure will push the ring out of the gap as it inflates

good luck

said this bit was fun

take the valve out of the stem(lets more air in faster) the best peice of kit is one of the foam rings but av old pushbike inner tube will do,cover it with tyer soap or fairy liquid mount both sides of the tyer as norm then push the tube/ring in the gap between the tyer and rim,blow away ,compresser almost vital here,

the pressure will push the ring out of the gap as it inflates

good luck

Cheers Dixie,

I was'nt looking forward to the Lighter Fluid method.

Vaughan.

Or my personal favorite

Get one (or two if one isn`t long enough) old ratchet strap put round the circumferance of the tyre and tighten enough too squash the tyre out and the bead onto the inner rim, with valve out and slippy stuff on tyre inflate with compressed air, job done :lol:

NOTE: be sure too have ratchet in the undo position before inflating! I found out too my cost once that the strap wil explode and whip you quite nicely if you forget too do so :D

Or my personal favorite

Get one (or two if one isn`t long enough) old ratchet strap put round the circumferance of the tyre and tighten enough too squash the tyre out and the bead onto the inner rim, with valve out and slippy stuff on tyre inflate with compressed air, job done :lol:

NOTE: be sure too have ratchet in the undo position before inflating! I found out too my cost once that the strap wil explode and whip you quite nicely if you forget too do so :lol:

It always makes me laugh reading the Tubless tyre dilemas, because it reminds me of my first Beta TR34 which was probably one of the first bikes to have a tubeless tyres on and it was a complete mystery to us how to deal with the bloody things, and the problem still rears its ugly head even today 20 years later,

It makes me wonder how we managed back then without all these gadgets, becauase it used to be nothing more than a good 'dig' with the heel of your Alpinestar that did the trick.

Getting it back on was always fun, sometimes they would pop out first time and yet other times It could take half a day.

Yes BB the ratchet strap was a last resort after you had tried every other way including shaking the whole wheel like a mad man in the hope it might just seal,and yes it was fun trying to find the release button on the strap before as you say the dam thing flew off and belted you! :D

Never resorted to the angle grinder though Perce :D

Good luck Vaughan you are not on your own! :D

Edited by 2fargone

One thing of note is that old tyres and new are different animals.

Old tyres especially ones that are being turned are usually easy. new michelins that have been stacked can be very difficult and ratchetstraps lighter fuel etc will only work if you are lucky. Get a beader get some tyre soap and that WILL always work.

Got to agree with Dabster - new tyres with the beads touching are a nightmare! One tip i was given - get a old inner tube -car/bike - place in tyre and really blow it up as much as you dare - leave somewhere warm over night - then fit - hopefully a new tyre should go on as easy as a old one.

I take mine to a local tyre depot and get them to change it.Saves a lot of grief and costs a fiver(though some of my tight mates would rather struggle and draw blood than spend the money)

I used to do that, pain in the a*** though!

Bought a tyre beader and a compressor and have never had any trouble since. No donuts though, I'm on a diet :wacko: