348 Year Of Manufacture Please

dave dix

Hi,

just bought a Malcolm Rathmell replica from ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...p;rd=1&rd=1 and was wondering what , if any , is different on the bike from a std 348 ? also what year was it made ? frame number is 51m 7995 with matching engine numbers. It rides superbly thou it may have a worn main bearing but for the price its a great toy

Thanks Dave

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Dave: I drove a 348 Malcolm Rathmell in the Spanish junior championship in 1976. Those bikes where built between 1976 and 1979.

Your bike 51M7995 was built in 1978, there where a total of 15,700 units produced from that model. It is a very nice bike and very good for twinshock trials.

It is the most complete and original 348 I have ever seen, even the Hidrobag shocks and mudguards. Lucky man, I am looking for one for me and would like to find something as good as you bike. By the way

Edited by Greeves

Thanks for your swift reply, sorry its not for sale as i have only just bought it!!! . I have wanted one for years. I currently ride a mono ty250 but i missed my old 250T bultaco i used to have and was looking for one when i found the monty as the TY just doesn't feel the same as the early spanish bikes.

What suprisedme about the monty was its torque and smoothness compared to the revvie yam and with a bit of tinkering it should last me years

Dave

PS is the mark 2 amal original ?

I am not shure about the Hidrobags. I had one of the first 348 MRR in January 1976 and I can clearly remember the Hidrobags on it. But maybe I am not correct.

Spanish Federation admits 348 MMR as Pre-77 with frame number below 51M11307.

Carb was Amal 2626/402-27

Edited by Greeves

Nice bike Dave, if it's got the MR signature on the tank, it's generally considered a '76, as '77s had no signature and '78s had gold and black stripes. That said, the changes made were running changes, so usually there were more than one version in a "model year".

The serial number suggests very late '76 or, if the signature carried over, a '77.

I've never seen White lettered Pirellis. There's a rumour that MRRs had the MR signature on the tires too.

Take a look!

The Hydrobags are original, being fitted to bikes from #7200 on.

One thing I'd like to point out is that the kickstart lever is angled too far forward.

It should match the angle of the head stay, the chrome bar running from the frame to the head.

If it remains forward, and you kick it through right to the bottom, you will puncture

the aluminum web between the front sprocket and the magneto, causing dirt to enter

the mag casing, fouling the points. Take the right-side cover off and have a look at the

little projection on the kickstart shaft, and see if it's already invaded the mag case.

Edited by vintageCota

Nice bike Dave, if it's got the MR signature on the tank, it's generally considered a '76, as '77s had no signature and '78s had gold and black stripes. That said, the changes made were running changes, so usually there were more than one version in a "model year".

The serial number suggests very late '76 or, if the signature carried over, a '77.

I've never seen White lettered Pirellis. There's a rumour that MRRs had the MR signature on the tires too.

Take a look!

The Hydrobags are original, being fitted to bikes from #7200 on.

One thing I'd like to point out is that the kickstart lever is angled too far forward.

It should match the angle of the head stay, the chrome bar running from the frame to the head.

If it remains forward, and you kick it through right to the bottom, you will puncture

the aluminum web between the front sprocket and the magneto, causing dirt to enter

the mag casing, fouling the points. Take the right-side cover off and have a look at the

little projection on the kickstart shaft, and see if it's already invaded the mag case.

Hi VC,

just checked the tyres and no signature but the tank/seat has the signature , i have changed the kickstart angle and will remove the cover tonight to check the points and ee if its cracked.

One good part on the auction was the 'new centre box' which turned out to be a complete exhaust downpipe to the rear silencer given to me as an extra spare!! is the rear silencer original ? as it has a rather large throaty sound to it ? and i will clean her up and possibly do a full overhaul but only when i have had a few years on it first

Dave

The back box will need repacking Dave- means cutting it open and welding it back together. Rathmell and co used to do them on a regular basis. I had an early one, with lovely translucent mudguards, which they discontinued for cost reasons. I was disappointed at the time it didnt have Mr Rathmell's signature embossed on the back tyre though. It did have Hydrobags, which worked well and were rebuildable. Dont be surprised if the clutch slips in the higher gears- both of mine did. Nice bike in its day. Fast on the road too. I got chased by the police once, and when they caught up, reckoned i'd been doing nearly eighty.

Just had the R/H case off and the inner cover seems OK though there is some scrapings in the metal and the mag area was nice and clean and dry and no play in the R/H main bearing so i think i'm lucky. It seems as though the bike has had lttle use as the last owner had his local sandpit closed 5 years ago and it has stayed in his shed ever since also the tyres still have the grooves in the top of the tread also the side knobbles look virtually new so its never been seriously used (on those tyres at least!!) until this sunday!

Dave

Seems I was wrong about the Hydrobags on the MRR. Funny 'cause I don't remember them on the first 348's. Failing memory I suppose. But here's some pics of an MRR that came up on Evil Bay a while ago. It had never been ridden so it's a good reference point.

post-24-1174084581.jpg

post-24-1174084605.jpg

post-24-1174084630.jpg

post-24-1174084650.jpg

• 9 months later...

Hi EdHolland: Thanks a lot for the link. Unfortunately lately in Spain some people think they have a treasure in their garage if they have an old classic trials bike stored there. And this is very often not true. This man is asking for 1,800 euros for that bike (1,200 Pounds) and the bike although is original, is not road registered, no papers at all, and needs some restauration to do, so that price is too high. I think 1,000 euros (670 Pounds) is the price for it (and if the engine is not too bad).

The man selling it is a second hand dealer, that uses this kind of sites to sell his parts and bikes. You can see what I am talking about if you go to the link "ver todos los lotes de este vendedor" in that webb. That is all the stuff being selled by this man. Expensive bikes.

Aniway many thanks for your interest, and I am shure sooner or later I will find one of the first 348 for me.

I just bought a basketcase 348 myself but for alot less thats how i found this thread. I think mine is a MMR or has some parts of it, i will pick it up wednesday cant wait :rolleyes:

I think the 1800 is a high price for that bike i agree ! There were 3 montesa,s for sale here the last week all in the 500-750 euro price class not as nice as the 1800 eur bike but still a pretty good base. But Holland is a bit too far away for you i guess ?

Cheers,