348 Year Of Manufacture Please

dave dix

Greetings to all in the Montesticle Club ( whats your story, Big John )

Often rode my mates 348s, never liked the steering. Preferred that of the Sherpa T - you pays your money & you make your choice. In retrospect, that 348 motor felt like the big Gassers of a few years ago-gobs full of torque..

Now to the ( maybe ) good news. I own a genuine Montesa Cota 348 two-sided factory-issue brochure.

When I look at the brochure , it does not mention MRR.

BUT, the bike has the following items finished in gold- handlebars, head stay, rear sprocket & brake torque rods front and rear. Rear brake pedal & gearshift lever feature fold tips.

The photos do not show the top of the tank. Shocks look standard to me ( I am a Bultaco man after all) with the shock body section under the black one piece springs finished in chrome. and there is a red sticker on the airbox.

AND, the photo clearly shows a white paint section on the left hand side of the rear tyre with MRs autograph prominently displayed.

So Senors, do I have a MRR brochure, or at least the Australian version. Sadly, there is no date.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EdHolland: Have a look to the photos posted by TooFastTim. Those shocks absorvers are the "Hidrobags". There where called so, (basically) as the brown rubber part you can see in the top of the shocks, was the chamber where the oil expanded when the shocks where in compression, as the rubber also expanded, that made those shocks more soft and progressive. They where fragile shocks, but quite revolutionary and good for those times.

Edited by Greeves

Imagen_042.jpg

Imagen_041.jpg

Imagen_036.jpg

Hi there - new member, being a British expat currently resident in Mexico. Coincidentally, I too have just purchased here in Mexico a Montesa Cota 348 MR Replica. The bike has stood idle for 7 years but from what I can see is both complete and original, down to the miniature speedo on the right fork leg. The engine and frame number on mine are 51M 9740 which I understand makes it a 1976 model. I only picked the bike up yesterday, so have not had a chance to go over it in detail, but the engine appears to turn over and has compression and it appears to move through the gears ok.

What would you suggest I need to do to the bike - would I be risking anything by merely changing all the fluids and trying to start her? I suspect that if she has sat for 7 years the crank seals will need replacement - what else should I focus attention on.

What I am desperately in need of is a workshop manual - i have managed to find a download the owners manual and parts manual, but does a workshop manual for this model exist (I have the clymer manual covering all 123cc to 360cc models, but only up to 1975 which does not appear to cover the Cota 348).

One final question, the final silencer on the exhaust appears, from what I can see from my limited research, to have come off the Cota 348 Trail - does this look right.

All comments and suggestions would be gratefully received!!

Thanks,

Richard - Mexico City

Hi from Spain Mexbiker. Being in Mexico you must know some Spanish, in Todotrial you have the complete 348 manual in Spanish:

http://www.todotrial.com/ttclasico/manuale...nualcota348.htm

My advise is you start with the next;

1.- Check Ignition and plug, (pionts, coils, condenser, advance) untill you get a nice spark.

2.- Check Clutch

3.- Engine oils

4.- Clean carburettor, interior tank and fuel valve.

4.- Change front brake, throttle and clutch cables.

5.- Chain

6.- Brakes shoes

7.- Check and change fork oil.

8.- Spokes

I would then change the handlebar as it looks bent in the photo, and the throttle (it looks an old Mototecnica for enduro). Check bearing, seals etc. etc. and change shocks if they don

feetupfun: This 348 brochure brings me very good memories. It was the first bike I used in the Spanish Campionship, and when I went to use the new bike for the first time (I was arround 15 years old), I was not strong enough to start it, and a pilot from Switzerland, Patrick Ludgerens that was there in that moment, started the bike for me.

Mexbiker; I have found that workshop manual you want. Obviously in Spanish, I have talked with a shop here in Madrid that have a lot of manuals and they got a Workshop Manual about the 5 Speed Montesas Engines. 28 Euros in www.libromotor.com :shutup:

Check the oil in the engine, and If it does not leak, do not change the seals. But if it does, or you have got to open the engine for any other reason, then change them.

Edited by Greeves