348 Year Of Manufacture Please

dave dix

Thanks for all the useful data and advice - will get the chance to go over the bike in detail this weekend but in the meantime, having washed this I have noticed that the bike appears to have unusual front forks - excuse my ignorance, but the forks appear to be air filled, with valves for connecting a normal air line. From the photos of other Cota 348 MRR's and the technical specs I cannot see that these were standard fitment - am i missing something.

Photos depicting the forks and triple tree are reproduced below:

P1180484.jpg

P1180485.jpg

All advice and comments gratefully received and again an apology offered in advance for my ignorance!!

Mexbiker - Mexico City

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those fork caps are standard on some model Cota 348s. I have 3 sets of 348 forks and thay all have those caps but I have also seen 348s with plain fork caps.

It was a popular thing to do at the time. It provides another way to adjust the front suspension. There is a drawback though that increasing the pressure inside also increases fork seal drag.

All advice and comments gratefully received and again an apology offered in advance for my ignorance!!

AFAIR that was not standard on the MRR, but it was on later versions of the 348. Somebody has, I suspect, fitted later model fork caps. Standard they came with a rather dinky cover.

Mexbiker, what you have is a very clean VGC 348. All it needs is some simple maintainence and a good polish/spray. Well done. Just one thing...the silencer is wrong. That's a 349 silencer

T

Edited by TooFastTim

I'm sure mine was an MRR and it had normal forks but I don't recall if it had the hydrobaga though it may have done when I got it. I ran gas Girlings and, as I recall, the standard practice in the day was to chuck the Hydrobags (seem to remember that they were not reliable?). On reflection it had black conventional rear units by, I think, Betor, but someone will put me right on that. I do recall that it was the second issue which had a lower third and top gear if I remember correctly.

The bike was N registered (what year was that?) and was owned by the late lamented Jack Gow who sold it to me at about six months old. Wonder where it is now. I think I've still got the fork caps and springs as I fitted the Sandiford air fork conversion which was as shown on the earlier photo.

I'm sure mine was an MRR and it had normal forks but I don't recall if it had the hydrobaga though it may have done when I got it. I ran gas Girlings and, as I recall, the standard practice in the day was to chuck the Hydrobags (seem to remember that they were not reliable?). On reflection it had black conventional rear units by, I think, Betor, but someone will put me right on that. I do recall that it was the second issue which had a lower third and top gear if I remember correctly.

The bike was N registered (what year was that?) and was owned by the late lamented Jack Gow who sold it to me at about six months old. Wonder where it is now. I think I've still got the fork caps and springs as I fitted the Sandiford air fork conversion which was as shown on the earlier photo.

Just discovered this thread.

2/4 if it was "N" registered it would be one of the first models to find it's way to Scotland dated as being registered between August 1st 1974 and July 31st 1975 so I would hazard a guess that it was a 1975 bike. Malcolm Rathmell rode a prototype in the 1975 SSDT. I think the very first 348 supplied to a Scots rider was Ian Baird from Edinburgh and at the time the most expensive trials bike as it topped

Hi Big John, The first 348 Mont i saw was owned by Alan Blood. He rode the Scottish on it in 1976 or 1977. You may remember it, the frame snapped miles from anywhere and a working party had to be set up to go and dismantle it and bring it back in bits...

Hi Trickmicky, I posted in (Blast from the past 1982 SSDT) about that incident, it happened on the Blackwater path, I actually came across Alan walking towards me and I should OK!, he just waved me on and shortly after I crested a rise on the path and there on the left side was the bulk of the bike and on the other side lay the front end! That would be 1977 then!

In short (as I have mentioned in the other thread), they put a fence post through the front part of the frame, started the bike and two guys "walked" the main section under power in first gear pulling the throttle cable and basicaly let it idle in bottom, another "wheel-barrowed" the front end back!

Big John

Edited by Big John

Mine still has the Hydrobags but they leak badly should i restore them (if possible ) or replace them with newer technology ? found some real nice adjustable ones at a fair price in spain. Bike is a bit of a mess it has parts from a few bikes but runs great ! not looking for a period correct restauration ;)

Mine still has the Hydrobags but they leak badly should i restore them (if possible ) or replace them with newer technology ? found some real nice adjustable ones at a fair price in spain. Bike is a bit of a mess it has parts from a few bikes but runs great ! not looking for a period correct restauration ;)

I would take off the Hydrobag units, place them in a safe place (preferably in a suitable box) until one day you need them for restroration or whatever. Get a new pair of useable shocks so thta you can enjoy riding your Montesa.

Big John

Just an update on the recently acquired Cota 348 MRR for those of you who have kindly offered advice and encouragement (great forum this!). Saturday starting in a harrowing fashion - went up into the mountains around my house on the outskirst of Mexico City on my Honda CRF230F (sorry!) with a group of mates as we do most weekends - stopped to admire the view looking down onto the city, only to see a rather large and menacing rattlesnake at my feet!!! Needless to say the ride back was a little tense, watching carefully before putting feet down - now that is a risk you don't run in Scotland, Spain, Oz, etc.

Anyway, the weekend rapidly got better when, after cleaning the Cota, replacing all fluids and filling her up with pre-mix, she started on the fifth kick - not bad for a bike which has stood for seven years!!

Special thanks to Greeves who stopped me stripping the motor down when it may not have been necessary - carb will need to come off for a good clean, but it looks as though I may have got myself a good deal with the 348 MRR.

Once again, a huge thanks to everyone for their help and advice.

Mexbiker - Mexico City

The first of a what I am sure will be a series of inane questions - I can only plead ignorance and ask for your understanding as a newbie. Just tried removing the gearbox drain plug to renew the oil and have not been able to shift it. It appears to be a nylon plug which is intended to be tightened manually, with access through a fairly restrictive hole in the engine bash plate - I cannot shift it by hand, and attempting to put some pliers on it to get more leverage, just resulted in part of the plug disintegrating - any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Mexbiker - Mexico City.

There are options for getting the old oil out.

You can drain the gearbox through the filler (inverting the bike) but it is a lot of trouble and quite messy.

You can drill out the remains of the plug.

You can drill a small hole in the plug and use an easy-out tool.

You can work on loosening the plug by tapping against the sealing flange with a pin punch.

On the 348 the clutch/primary drive oil is seperate to the gearbox oil and usually has a decent drain plug so you should be able to change that oil without any hassles.

By the way, there are many species of snakes here in OZ that are more dangerous/venomous/aggressive/poisonous than the US (or Mexican) rattlesnake. It is a well developed habit here to look before you put your foot down when riding or walking.

Edited by feetupfun

Feetupfun how much oil does the bike need please ? I see two fillers one on the side and one in the middle of the casing. Same oil in both ?

Mexbiker we are in the same boat the middle one is stuck on mine too. I will remove the carb first to make same room and try again but i,m afraid it will break off like yours.