2t - 4t

hop blip and a jump

Sorry for not replying earlier DG,

The problem was with my gear selector, riding the bike for the second time it got stuck in first gear, at first I thought the gear changer was loose but when looking closer at it I found that the shaft was spinning. When come to the weld that holds the selector onto the shaft had broken. From what I hear this is happening to a few of the new Rev4's. It is quite a quick and easy repair, just one we shouldn't have to do after 4 hours riding!

Apart from that 'little' hiccup the bike is brilliant!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry for not replying earlier DG,

The problem was with my gear selector, riding the bike for the second time it got stuck in first gear, at first I thought the gear changer was loose but when looking closer at it I found that the shaft was spinning. When come to the weld that holds the selector onto the shaft had broken. From what I hear this is happening to a few of the new Rev4's. It is quite a quick and easy repair, just one we shouldn't have to do after 4 hours riding!

Apart from that 'little' hiccup the bike is brilliant!

Ouch! That is the kind of things that you don't like to hear! I have about 10 hours on mine, so far, and no problems. (Knock on wood) In fact, I had a GREAT outing on it today.

About April last year I made a switch from an '00, 125 Sherco to an '04 125 Scorpa syf. I think I'd been on the Sherco about 2 years, maybe 3.

The first thing that I noticed was the difference in the steering. The Sherco was a lot quicker and the Scorpa felt like it was trying to fall inside in a turn. The best bit about changing is the engine. On the two stroke I would get myself into trouble by using too little throttle when a handful would have been better. Sometimes it worked 'coz weighing nothing I could usually find grip anyway. I think that kind of riding suits itself to a 4stroke far more than a 2.

With the Scorpa, it just grips and grips and grips with very little throttle. Its absolubtly brilliant! One of the Star Group Trials at Sethern in Dunsfold was an absolute mudbath. Pouring rain all day, and with the ground being hard clay with leaf mulch over the top it was like ice. There was one climb that most people were struggling on, including the best riders in the class (the easiest!) Where the good riders couldn't go with their 250 2 strokes, the little Scorpa just pulled and pulled and pulled and made it look easy - entirely down to the bike! I never used to like riding in mud that much, but now I love it!

If only the back brake would behave and the tyres didn't slip on the rims . . .

About April last year I made a switch from an '00, 125 Sherco to an '04 125 Scorpa syf. I think I'd been on the Sherco about 2 years, maybe 3.

The first thing that I noticed was the difference in the steering. The Sherco was a lot quicker and the Scorpa felt like it was trying to fall inside in a turn. The best bit about changing is the engine. On the two stroke I would get myself into trouble by using too little throttle when a handful would have been better. Sometimes it worked 'coz weighing nothing I could usually find grip anyway. I think that kind of riding suits itself to a 4stroke far more than a 2.

With the Scorpa, it just grips and grips and grips with very little throttle. Its absolubtly brilliant! One of the Star Group Trials at Sethern in Dunsfold was an absolute mudbath. Pouring rain all day, and with the ground being hard clay with leaf mulch over the top it was like ice. There was one climb that most people were struggling on, including the best riders in the class (the easiest!) Where the good riders couldn't go with their 250 2 strokes, the little Scorpa just pulled and pulled and pulled and made it look easy - entirely down to the bike! I never used to like riding in mud that much, but now I love it!

If only the back brake would behave and the tyres didn't slip on the rims . . .

Would that be a standrad 125 Scorpa, or modified? Just wondered as most people reckon the stabndard 125 id much improved with various mods.

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

Ive been riding my scorpa 175f for almost a year now its an amazing bike after the birket mods. you get so much grip and you dont need to change gear as much (e.g i ride 3/4 gear hill climbs in 1/2 gear now) its an apsolote amazing bike, i hada go on a sy250 today and i jsut couldnt get used to it, so i think ill be with the four strokes for the for seable future.

I owned an 06 Rev3 250 for a year and have just picked up a Rev4, I find the difference amazing! The grip that I am finding is phenomenal. I have only ridden it for approx 4 hours before I ran into a problem ( will hopefully be sorted before the SW Champ round on 1st Jan) but first impressions are great.

Just bought a '07 Rev 4T and I'm having problems with oil and antifreeze leaks that seem to be coming from the case and cylinder seals. I've never owned a Euro bike only Japanese so not sure what to expect.

Is this common on Betas? What is the best fix?

I realize the four stroke is so new most have no experience with them but any help would be appreciated.

One dealer told me some leakage is normal and another said that they change the crankcase gasket and it is fixed (the 2 stroke).

I owned an 06 Rev3 250 for a year and have just picked up a Rev4, I find the difference amazing! The grip that I am finding is phenomenal. I have only ridden it for approx 4 hours before I ran into a problem ( will hopefully be sorted before the SW Champ round on 1st Jan) but first impressions are great.

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought a '07 Rev 4T and I'm having problems with oil and antifreeze leaks that seem to be coming from the case and cylinder seals. I've never owned a Euro bike only Japanese so not sure what to expect.

Is this common on Betas? What is the best fix?

I realize the four stroke is so new most have no experience with them but any help would be appreciated.

One dealer told me some leakage is normal and another said that they change the crankcase gasket and it is fixed (the 2 stroke).

One of several differences between the '07 and '08 model is the right side engine case. Apparantly, there were some sealing problems, as they added an additional bolt to the cover. Can't say about your antifreeze. You might make sure what you are seeing is not just overflow, from the radiator cap. If there is excessive coolant, and the engine gets hot, it has to go somewhere. My '08 model does not have a hose connected to the cap. Not sure if it is supposed to, or not, but wihtout one, overflow sort of spits out into the upper frame, and platters onto the engine, giving the appearance of a leak. Mine only did it once, but it had me looking, until I figured it out.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys, interesting convo, i have a quick question would a 175f scorpa with birkett mods be any good to a good novice/not so good clubman rider? would there be enough performance for the inter route?

Hi guys, interesting convo, i have a quick question would a 175f scorpa with birkett mods be any good to a good novice/not so good clubman rider? would there be enough performance for the inter route?

The 175F is a great bike, and would serve you well on the Novice line. I rode one for a year in our Sr. Amateur class, no problem. The only performance issue I had was if I was at a dead stop, right at the bottom of a steep climb. I weigh 225 pounds, so I was pushing it in that situation. For example, where we practice, we had a hill with a full lock turn, right at the base. Your front wheel would actually be starting up the hill before you came out of the turn enough to start accelerating. IN that situation, it was tough to build RPM. But, in any other circomstance, where I had an opportunity to build up a little RPM first, it would climb MAJOR stuff without problem.

• 1 month later...