Tips For Mounting Bash Plate

tt5th

I've got to the point where I dread having to take the bashplate off my 315.

Last time to get it back on I used a combination of a jack and mole grips and even then it was a nightmare! I've tried a ratchet strap too but didn't really help.

Anyone got any tips?

Ah! Now I just foolishly assumed that was how it was.

Any tips on how to get it put back into shape? I'm guessing somewhere with something hydraulic? Don't think my hammer will help! Or maybe I need a bigger hammer?

The long bolts idea is a good one in the meantime!

Hi there,

bashplates are usually made from an aluminium allow which is probably heat treated to T5 or T6. In my experience, they are more than difficult to straighten out. Years back I tried to re-shape the plate from a 305 Fantic with a sledge hammer on the lawn, I think I managed to bend it just a little. Do not heat up the plate as you would lose the temper. If unable to straighten out, just try re-fitting with the front bolts in half way then compress the rear on with a G-clamp or similar.

Bye, PeterB.

I have access to a 60tonne hydraulic press and even with that it is really difficult to straighten a bash plate back to its original shape.

Yes, of course I can bend it easily with that much pressure, but bending it in exactly the right place and not over bending it is almost impossible. After a lot of work I got it about right, but still had to enlarge the holes slightly to get it to bolt back on with the threads straight.

Unless I get one that is well out of shape, I won't bother again. I'll just use the long bolt tip :)

Two pairs of mole grips makes the job easy. Front bolts first, not too tight. Then set one pair just wide enough to grip the plate and the frame, you must be able to close the grip so it locks. Next, get the other pair and do the same, set it so it will just grip the frame and bash plate so that you can lock it off. Now go back to the first one which should be loose now, take it off, tighten it and refit. Do the same with the other one and keep doing this until you can get your bolts in. Easy! :)

Edited by boofont

I always use the same method - just did one of our Scorpas last week and it was on in under ten minutes. Two front bolts in but leave them loose - ratchet strap around the sump guard and over the 'seat' - protect the ratchet strap with a bit of carpet on the sharp edges of the sump guard - tighten the ratchet strap 'til the rear bolts will go in. Using a screwdriver to align the holes while tightening the strap can sometimes help.

I have access to a 60tonne hydraulic press and even with that it is really difficult to straighten a bash plate back to its original shape.

Yes, of course I can bend it easily with that much pressure, but bending it in exactly the right place and not over bending it is almost impossible. After a lot of work I got it about right, but still had to enlarge the holes slightly to get it to bolt back on with the threads straight.

Unless I get one that is well out of shape, I won't bother again. I'll just use the long bolt tip :D

My mate has managed to straighten plenty of bash plates using a couple of bits of wood to sit it on & the back bucket of his JCB, where there's a will there's a way.

My mate has managed to straighten plenty of bash plates using a couple of bits of wood to sit it on & the back bucket of his JCB, where there's a will there's a way.

Problem is not to many people have a JCB kicking around the garage.