#1 andy m

andy m

Advanced Member

• Site Supporter
  • 1,893 posts
  • Bike:Various..;- )
  • Club:South Shropshire MCC. Hereford Classic TC

Posted 27 October 2009 - 11:06 PM

Is it the vivaro and trafic are exactly the same and the Nissan Primastar is a different engine/ box.
I am looking at maybe buying a Trafic/ Vivaro due to the low load height I will want to load large road bikes as well. Anything I should look for or avoid. Thanks in advance. ^_^
"Be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly, and listen to others; even the dull and ignorant. They, too, have their story."

Ads By Google User is online

Ads By Google
  • Ad Bots

Don't want these Ads? Why not help support TC and sign up as a Trials Central Supporter?

#2 racey

racey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 11:24 PM

vivaro and traffic are virtually the same, not sure about nissan, but good transport for trials bikes, could get three in back of my old vivaro easy BUT couldn't get my Tiger 900 in, no way without removing the screen and front fairing etc.

obviously a high roof version would solve that

probably take sports bikes without fuss in std roof version

#3 dougalthedog

dougalthedog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Bike:TY250R TY250S Pinky

Posted 27 October 2009 - 11:48 PM

The gearbox is a known weak spot on these.

Ideally you need to check when the van is cold - mine was noticably worse in the winter - 1st and 2nd gear hard to select until warmed up for a couple of minutes.

If you are lucky the fix is around 200 if you are unlucky it's around 800 for a recon box. Also worth pointing out the clutch master cylinder is inside the gearbox housing so if it needs doing its out with the box - I had the master cylinder replaced and a new clutch while the box was out for peace of mind.

Also check the tracking as the track rod ends are the same as renault laguna and not heavy duty enough for the heavier van

Other than the above mines been a really good van, 6 speed box is pretty economical as long as you dont drive too hard (around 600 miles on a full tank - 70)

I ply lined mine and added a solid bulkhead which has quietened it down a lot and made the cab a lot cosier in the cold weather.

2 bikes no problem - probably OK for 3 small (trials type).

Hope you find a good one.

#4 shercoman2k8

shercoman2k8

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 601 posts
  • Bike:09 Paxau Sherco 125
  • Club:L&DMCC

Posted 28 October 2009 - 05:19 AM

We have a Vauxhall Vivaro and I reckon its an amazing van, only weak spot is that the gearbox's are known to be faulty, but its like beta stators... Only some go. Then your looking 800 - 1000 for a recon box! One other, not so major problem is the display on the media head unit, it has a tendancy to let a few pixels die, nothing major but makes it hard to read the temperature and radio frequency.
Dougalthedog - whats this fix you speak of, what the problem with them anyway?

Our van is on an 05 plate, pre-facelift... the facelift was nothing major, but maybe they sorted that stereo?
The van when we bought it was a right deal! We payed 3500 for it about four months ago, absoloutely spotless with 25k on the clock. After having a 1999 Hyundai H100 2.5 litre turbo, and it was great, pulled great and could tow upto two ton on the Braked Ivor Williams trailer. Moving to the 1.9 Turbo 5 speed, we've found it's even better! Pulls from a standstill great, bit sluggish under 2k RPM but hey, it's only a 1.9! Tow's great, and can cruise at speeds of 80 with the fully loaded (two ton) trailer behind, 90 without. Cruising at 85 though, is comfortable and the engine is doing around 4k... Not bad for the fuel! I think we get about 30mpg average when towing, and 35-40mpg when not.

Handling wise the van is very stable, very little roll in the corners and doesn't wallow through bends and bounce over bumps... nice and planted on the road, quite a stiff suspension on them! In the wet, being front wheel drive doesn't help atall, very dodgy at speed, aquaplanes on puddles like crazy. We've certainly had a few close ones! Im sure directionals would improve this, but you cant get them with a load rating we require due to it being an everday works vehicle too!
Brakes are great, disks all round, on a servo'd hydraulic setup, I believe split 60f-40r, where most the weight normally is... stops pretty damn quick as we've found out a few times! ABS is very effective on them, way more than it was on the hyundai! Can stop 3 1/2 ton, from 60 in about 2 seconds, not sure on length exactly but its high up with some of the 4x4s without trailers!

Interior. The interior on these are once again top quality for a van, with it being a works van there's fitted seat covers, but the original seats are very comfy! The two passenger seats are on a bench, with support underneath, both full height, with headrests and full seatbelts. The drivers seat is height adjustable, from almost being on the floor so your looking at the steering wheel : to the height your heads rubbing on the roof... the seat is thick with plenty of padding, and once again being used with a seat cover. The dials are large and well lit, with a digital display in the middle showing fuel level, oil temperature, problem reports, tripometer, and mileometer, along with the time. Below this you have all your warning lights and advisory's in a small display, about the size of a playing card. Plenty of legroom for both passengers, and drivers, pedals are way down. The dashboard is relatively large, with plenty of storage space, it comes right out, and sinks down to the windscreen. Plenty of storage space and cupholders in both sides. Both the front doors open wide to a 90 degree angle, so getting in isnt a problem. The door pockets are very deep, and with an expanded round shape, which is the perfect size for a two litre pop bottle. Quite handy.
The van can be noisy, but when you fit a solid bulkhead, instead of the metal cage behind the driver a lot of this noise is reduced, its almost silent, and also... the van warms up quicker in winter, very cosy! Perfect for driving long distances, although I reccomend either fitting, or getting one with electric windows. All locks can be locked via a switch on the dashboard. Van has passenger and driver airbags.

I've driven this around the yard, and up the private road for a few miles and its a great van, gears select easily and the clutch isn't grabby atall, the power is smooth yet strong. To select reverse you have to lift a collar on the lever, quite handy also to save it getting knocked into something you dont want when clambering around in all that free space. Both the trafic and the vivaro have remote central locking as standard, and can just as easily be fitted with a remote start, although I despise them. Also when driving, I noticed the handbrake was very low down, right on the floor almost, and the dimmer on main beam lights is different to many other vehicles I've driven. Very similar to that on a german car such as an Audi! The brakes are also smooth yet effective, not snatchy atall like on other vehicles. Slight turbo lag, but it's not noticeable unless you really go for it, the turbo does take about half a second to a second to spool up.

In the rear theres room for three motocross bikes, as a mate pointed out with his. We've only ever had the one motorbike in there though. My sherco, and it fits in amazing, loads of room above, and to either side. To fit more than two bikes in, one has to be pointing to the rear, but thats no hassle, is it? In the roof there are pre threaded m6 holes, perfect to fit rope loops to to tie the bikes steady, we've got about 12 tie points in the rear for securing loads... dual interior light is effective.
The two rear doors open wide, till there 180 degree's to the van, this makes loading and unloading easy.. although the side door opens wide enough to unload a bike through, handy huh? Bike in from the rear, and roll her forwards out the side, simple... We have a tool cabinet bolted in, and a spare box bolted into the arch for helmet and clothing. Also fit the pressure washer and compressor (ready compressed) in the back, along with a load of spares. Pressure washer can be run off an inverter, and the hose put into a large puddle or river and it will draw, handy for washing you, or the bikes with.

Anything more I can help with, just ask!

#5 totalshell

totalshell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,767 posts
  • Bike:in several boxes....
  • Club:Rossendale Harriers, Clarks Commando's

Posted 28 October 2009 - 09:19 AM

i have an 04 trafic now with 51k on it i've had it 4 years, i've had no probs with the gearbox but rear discs watch as they include the wheel bearings and are expensive to replace the only faults mine has are the air monitor takes 30 seconds each cold morning before it will let the thing rev and the bely driven fuel pump just stopped one night (850 to repair)
i have a Oe cab payload solid divider and have it fully racked out inside down one side . i can still get two bikes and all the stuff in it .
fuel is over 600 miles out of a full tank which at the mo is about 78 quid. all radio controls on steering column.
its a decent van. i'm thinking of putting in a row of seats in the back (less than 250 all in belts etc. ) and side windows (280 a side)

Edited by totalshell, 28 October 2009 - 09:19 AM.

We few .. We happy few Yorkshiremen..

let Richard III rest in York..

#6 chewy

chewy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts
  • Bike:Jotagas 250
  • Club:Kingswood MCC......Wessex

Posted 28 October 2009 - 03:19 PM

Had traffic from new bought crew cab long wheelbase 6 belted seats air con all the gadjets mentioned plus can carry 3 trials bikes in back i'm told to get rid before 80 k there is problem with injector(s) rusting in and very difficult to remove else all above I will have to look out for delighted with it as a utility vehichle

#7 tilertrialler

tilertrialler

Advanced Member

• Site Supporter
  • 160 posts
  • Bike:fantic 200

Posted 28 October 2009 - 05:13 PM

nissen primstar is the same ,has a few extras reversing sensors,heated mirrors has all renault engine and running parts , get the newer model if poss , i think the gearbox has been sorted, 6 gears go like stink. had mine ayear now seems fine.

#8 greg

greg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Bike:delibrating
  • Club:ping k15 driver, callaway razr x irons, taylor made putter

Posted 28 October 2009 - 07:28 PM

I've got a primastar second one i've had ,never had a problem its a available for sale end of december!! (3 year finance lease)

Jan 07 (56 plate)
2litre 115
lwb
silver
72K miles
reversing sensor
auto headlights / wipers
factory bulkhad
air con
elec windows /heated mirrors
ply lined
fog lights
couple of small dints

WHATS IT WORTH???????????

#9 andy m

andy m

Advanced Member

• Site Supporter
  • 1,893 posts
  • Bike:Various..;- )
  • Club:South Shropshire MCC. Hereford Classic TC

Posted 28 October 2009 - 08:25 PM

Thanks for the replies I only need a swb. Does anyone know the load length in the back bulkhead to rear doors, thanks.
"Be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly, and listen to others; even the dull and ignorant. They, too, have their story."

#10 nigel dabster

nigel dabster

Advanced Member

• Site Supporter
  • 8,090 posts
  • Bike:Gas Gas Bultaco 340
  • Club:Milton Buzzard MCC,Richmond MC

Posted 29 October 2009 - 09:04 AM

I've got a primastar second one i've had ,never had a problem its a available for sale end of december!! (3 year finance lease)

Jan 07 (56 plate)
2litre 115
lwb
silver
72K miles
reversing sensor
auto headlights / wipers
factory bulkhad
air con
elec windows /heated mirrors
ply lined
fog lights
couple of small dints

WHATS IT WORTH???????????

3000 trade?

Ads By Google User is online

Ads By Google
  • Ad Bots

Don't want these Ads? Why not help support TC and sign up as a Trials Central Supporter?

#11 greg

greg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Bike:delibrating
  • Club:ping k15 driver, callaway razr x irons, taylor made putter

Posted 29 October 2009 - 08:42 PM

3000 trade?

is about right, quoted between 3.2k and 4k, scary.

#12 totalshell

totalshell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,767 posts
  • Bike:in several boxes....
  • Club:Rossendale Harriers, Clarks Commando's

Posted 30 October 2009 - 01:40 PM

as na plumber and having a fixed bulkhead i can 'just' get a 3m length of copper tube in the back if its run diagonally from above the drivers seat to the nearside door post. if i lay the tube down about 18'' sticks out the door ish.. not accurate but ish ish.. a bit like a plumbers quote..
We few .. We happy few Yorkshiremen..

let Richard III rest in York..

#13 nigel dabster

nigel dabster

Advanced Member

• Site Supporter
  • 8,090 posts
  • Bike:Gas Gas Bultaco 340
  • Club:Milton Buzzard MCC,Richmond MC

Posted 30 October 2009 - 05:24 PM

as na plumber and having a fixed bulkhead i can 'just' get a 3m length of copper tube in the back if its run diagonally from above the drivers seat to the nearside door post. if i lay the tube down about 18'' sticks out the door ish.. not accurate but ish ish.. a bit like a plumbers quote..

like it lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users