Buying My First Bike Ty 175 Help Please

m82s

Hi all, not been on a bike for 15 years ish and very new to trials. I was looking at a more modern bike like 2005 or newer but i have just come accross a bargain restoration project locally and the guy just wants shut. Im in need of help please as i know very lkittle about bikes and a list of what to look for initially would be massively appreciated or if you could point me in the right direction to a thread or something. the bike needs a few bits which im aware of and ill list these with a few picks. Im up for a nice total rebuild over the summer and i can grab this for less than 200 notes as is! the guy is moving on and it has to go so rather than him spendf more time and not doing a proper job, im thinking of taking it on. It will be a long time before i consider doing the real tricks and jumps on one and it probably wont be on this machine either as ill probably flog it for a pretty penny later once done with it and restored.

ill get the pics up and i just think its a real steal at this price even if it needs a new engine!

advice on the usual checks would be most appreciated

Thanks for the info. Most appreciated. I believe he has some of these things if not all but thanks for the list. At least I have something to go off now as I might of Forgotton some of the bits. I need to check how old photos are as I even have one which looks just as recent as others but bare rolling frame as it has been most put back together for a sale.

Supposed to be going for it in an hour so any more tips will be most appreciated. There is one on eBay starting at 300 for a 175 project which looks a bit rough round the edges but at least it was complete and running. Unsure as to whether it will pull much more and whether or not either is a bargain. Worst case, the one in the photo here and is as is or with few more bits on it now is going to cost me 160! Thoughts?

Can't see tyres etc well enough in pics to decide. I don't want to have to buy both bikes but may end up so!

just as i thought. thanks for this. so whats a reasonable price? guy wont go lower than the 160 he says but that has gone down 30% since last night so it makes me wonder.

how does this look cash wise barring it needs a lot of restoration? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YAMAHA-TY175-/290693043205?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item43aea7d405#ht_726wt_922

Its a shame nearly all these have been destroyed by neglect or been bodged together! piece of history round my birthdate!

If i payed lets say little over a 100 for the bike pictured above originally and spent a 300 ish give or take on it and a lot of time, would i get my money back? some are doing best part of a grand but are mint restores or kept well

im wondering do i go new or old now. I really like the thought of a piece of history to learn on and restore before i really get into it later. i dont intend on doing hard rides but just pottering about to start so is a twin shock ideal for this?

Edited by m82s

In the real world the bike is probably worth £150 - £200 for breaking. Not really financially a viable project to make useable as it's too far gone and would cost £600 -£800 to make good. Always buy a runner then at least you have an idea of what needs doing and that it's all there. wouldnt be the first time a "bargain" had no engine internals.

Generally "bargains" are very few and far between. If it's cheap there is always a reason and usually you arent as clever as you would like to think you are and the other bloke is rarely as stupid as you think he is.

As a rule of thumb a very basic ready to go trials bike will cost i.r.o. £1000 to £1200 no matter if it's an old modern or a twinshock. Thats the same if you buy a banger and spend on bits or buy one thats already been done. :popcorn:

im wondering do i go new or old now. I really like the thought of a piece of history to learn on and restore before i really get into it later. i dont intend on doing hard rides but just pottering about to start so is a twin shock ideal for this?

You'll learn quicker on a newer bike and for £800 spent, you'll get more for your money with a newer bike, like a TY250Mono or a Beta/Gas Gas

Twinshock prices are barmy.............................for rubbish bikes

Because of their nature, always go with condition on Trials bikes and condition of consumables and does the owner look as if he's capable of basic maintenance

Edited by Johnnyboxer

A good friend of mine gave me good advice: If you want something, spend the MOST you can afford and get the best you can find for the budget. If you don't it will end up costing you more to get LESS.

I've tried to cheat this rule several times over the years, and never beaten it!

This looks a horrendous cash hole to me and at the end you won't have anything any better that youcould have got for the money in a working state, but will spend the summer working on it (and spending on it) rather than being on it...

Graham

A good friend of mine gave me good advice: If you want something, spend the MOST you can afford and get the best you can find for the budget. If you don't it will end up costing you more to get LESS.

I've tried to cheat this rule several times over the years, and never beaten it!

This looks a horrendous cash hole to me and at the end you won't have anything any better that youcould have got for the money in a working state, but will spend the summer working on it (and spending on it) rather than being on it...

Graham

+1 :agreed:

Glenn

DON'T BOTHER,it'll cost far more than you think,and it'll onlly ever be a ty175.spend on something far more recent,it'll be cheaper and more enjoyable/competive/lighterand easier to buy parts for.Old bikes are moneypits,and you don't get it back.Ask me how I know