Am I Too Old?

top ghia

I'm 53 , I got back into trials after 30 years away , I always had a bike of some kind or another , but trials is great exercise for the body and mind ...

And I have to got to work every monday , so I've set the go fast on two wheels aside . Also my son's enjoy riding with me too , and I like teaching them what I can .

Glenn

• Like 1

Jeez, too old at 47 !

I started at 47, I'm 50 this year. Couple of "mates" are older than me and started a year after I did. My partner is 52 in Febuary, she only started just over a year ago.

I think you already have your answer from the rest, but thought I'd throw in my reply also.

Do it,even if you don't like it,which I guarantee you will,its better to look back on things without regretting what you didn.t do.47 is a lot younger than a lot of people I ride with,and you'll meet some great people

Wow, what a fantastic reponse, I never expected so many people to chip in. And its a masive thumbs up too. :D It looks like i had better start looking for a bike . Ive done the speed thing and lived with the dangers of sharing the roads with myopic car drivers, My wife was happy when i sold the road bike because i had already been punted off my bicycle in traffic,and it would be nice to do some riding instead of just watching my lad enjoying himself.

So the next question is what bike is good for a beginner? 125, 250, bigger?

Thanks again guys :icon_salut:

Gary.

Before choosing an engine capacity, I'd think about what type of bike to go for, modern, twinshock or pre65.

I got into trials a coupe of years ago, brought a '97 gasgas jtx250, a great bike to start with if you want to go modern, anyway I've decided to go down the twinshock route and now have a TY175.

Something else to consider is whether you want a road registered bike, should you want to take part in road trials or a bit of green laning, also insurance is easier if it's registered.

Back to the cc's, a modern 125 will be fine for riding around with your son on his 85 and should see you alright for a while as a beginner, but you may get bored with it, so I'd go for a 250, as it'll take you anywhere you want to go.

As for a twinshock, I picked the TY175 partly out of nostalgia (always wanted one as a youth), but also parts availability, size and weight.

Pre65's require more fettling and can be expensive.

Good luck with your choice whatever it is.

As the old saying goes ...(I think?)

You don't get old and stop riding , you get old when you stop riding .

Or something like that !

Get a cheap twinshocker , yamaha , honda , whatever ... And go have some fun with your son , And then get a new bike if you feel the need , BUT RIDE a modern bike first !!!

But mainly go have some safe FUN !!!

Glenn