My Clutch Is Slipping Does It Need To Be Replaced?

bigmark1972

I was told it can be helpful to pull 2 opposing springs in the clutch pack so I did that the other day.

I also changed the gearbox fluid, it was pretty nasty, I filled it with 450cc of maxima 75 weight gear oil as recommended.

I've done a few rides with some folks lately and it was very apparent to me that I need to re-focus on the basics and get my clutch control low speed control down.

I spent about 2 hours yesterday riding tight circles in second gear, riding as slow as possible, etc. I was very light on the throttle, not revving it at all trying to

balance as much as possible.

I really like the feel of the clutch -2 springs but on my ride tonight I noticed the clutch was

slipping noticeably. Its bad enough that I can not break the rear tire loose in 3rd gear on the lawn.

I was under the impression a person could not wear these clutches out, am I wrong?

The clutch was absolutely not slipping at the beginning of that first ride with the springs pulled.

I'm a new rider and I won't be using 3rd anytime soon but I do have some trials meets coming up soon.

An unfamiliar clutch would probably make things difficult for me I am thinking.

Should I replace the clutch or could it just be glazed up from my abusing it?

My clutch lever is set up so it engages deep in the travel close to fingers (plenty of room left before the full release)

Any opinions, or tricks I am not aware of?

Thanks

What were you trying to achieve

I've been told by several people that this was an effective way to ease the learning curve with clutch control, extend ride times before wrist wears out, etc.

I can also point to plenty of posts here where others are saying the same.

some conflicting information here it seems.

The Sherco clutch was a light pull from the start

Really? I'd hate to see what a heavy pull feels like. ;)

I can put the springs back and change the oil again this evening but

It was NOT slipping at the beginning of my last ride even in the higher gears.

It seems to me the clutch was damaged / burnt? during the 2 hours of slow clutchy riding.

I would not be surprised if it still slips but will see I guess.

Worst case I can put a new clutch in it.

Edited by bigmark1972

Clutches do wear and wear faster as you are slipping them. Your signature says the bike is a 2004. It is entirely possible that the clutch is worn or possibly even replaced by previous owners. But before you just go throw a clutch in:

put the 2 springs back in and ride it. If the problem goes away, don't worry about it.

at some point you can pull the clutch out and measure the thickness of the stack. I do not know the specification but it should be in the manual.

Most of the time when people remove springs it is to lighten the force required by your finger. This does make it much easier to modulate the clutch but it is a trade-off with potential clutch slip in the higher gears.

firstly for riding tight circles and figure 8ts id use first gear and secondly if it has a heavy pull find out why maybe start with renewing the clutch fluid lastly make sure there is some play in the lever

Changed the oil again, put the springs back in and it's good to go :)

Rode for quite some time again tonight and the slipping is totally gone so happy about that.

The clutch does actually feel better than it did even with the springs in before, the old fluid looked so

bad I wonder if it had ever been changed.

Guess my clutch finger better suck it up and get with the program.

Edited by bigmark1972
  • Like 1

Everybody used to complain that the early Sherco`s had the lightist clutch. I have tried several times on bikes with very hard clutches to remove the springs. Two things happened. The clutch was easier and the clutch would slip. Usually the clutch would slip at the worst possible moment! Glad to hear it is working again.

Well, good you figured that out! I was gonna tell you the same.

I have run the light clutch for a long time and it is trickey at best. On your older bike, I MIGHT be able to do it, but I am half your weight it seems, and even then I would have to go with thin ATF to get a bite as opposed to a slip.

It does work fine on my "12 bike though, for my weight. I think they are using heavier springs now. And I am talking it will do a full rev and pop in third for a splatter with no slip. Yet still a delightful light pull for my old finger! Oh well!