2015 Beta Factory Headstock

westygas270

Hi all i have a 2015 beta factory, and past month i have noticed when you rock the bike with front break on the headstock clicks/manes a cracking noise, done a trial today and it seems worse when riding it can feel it,defo from the headstock has any one else had similar thing?? notice the factory bikes have the red headstock on and these are different to the standard ones. Also headstock is well greased up

yeah, Beta dispensed with the tension nut and lock nut design a few years back on the standard and factory models. I think the torque setting is 10nm...really very little pre-load required to stop the noise you're referring to....so tighten it a little until the noise/movement goes away...

Mine was the same and I read in the forum about people putting plumbers tape round the threaded rod that comes throught the triple clamp because the opening in the clamp was excessive. When I phoned John Lampkin a chap that works for him claimed he had never heard of beta suffering from this and suggested the steering head just needed tightened? I think those forks also have a funny feel through the initial phase of the stroke. That said I've tightened mine down again but still get the sensation when I turn the bars from lock to lock.

• 2 weeks later...

Easy, put your finger on the bearing cup by the frame and rock the bike. If you can feel movement it's the bearings. Nut needs tightening. The older Beta's usually took a few re-torques for the head bearings to completely seat in the aluminum headstock. Put your finger on the top triple clamp and the stem and rock the bike. If you feel movement it's the top stem hole clearance and the teflon tape works well but must be redone once in a while depending on how much you ride. Dado's suggestion of shim metal should work too. I just had Teflon tape handy so that's what I used. I now have some Teflon sheets of various thicknesses I got from an on-line plastics shop for a few bucks I'll try next time. Actually bought them as optical diffusers but that's another story. Just to be safe make sure your brake caliper isn't moving. I've seen forks damaged by loose caliper mounts.

Edited by dan williams

Dadoff could be spot on here, I stripped mine during the week as I had some movement and noticed the bearing outer race had quite a bit of movement in the frame.

I had 2 sets of new bearings in stock and tried both but still had movement. There are 2 tricks among others to sort this in alloy frames.

The 1st one is with a sharp center punch and make punch marks on the inner frame where the bearing fits. The protruded marks from punching will reduce the diameter in the places and the bearing will tap in snug.

The second and I would only recommend this in very extreme cases is wrap quite a few layers of tape around the outside to avoid marking the frame  then tap the frame to make some tight spots in a sort of octagonal shape but only very slight as it's only a microscopic amount of play to remove. This is an animal approach but it worked on an old rev 3 and lasted my abuse.

I also had play in the top yoke on mine where it meets the steering stem, The centre punch trick worked spot on too.

I think Italian engineering had a lapse when it came to these parts, especialy the factory yokes. If my bike was new I would be screaming warranty by now.

thanks for all your advise, i have had a word with the garage and they are looking at it for me, bikes only 4 month old so dont fancy wraping tape around it will see what has been up with it in the new year, cracking bike tho !!

and yes defo not the bar mounts