Mick Andrews James

majesty320

Nice looking bike there old trials fanatic. What sort of price do you pay for those shocks from mick or is there an outlet who sells them, as i want a pair of those for my majesty. Iam also building a brit, i have a mike mills frame with a B25 motor, alan whitton hubs and ignition,and its got triumph adventurer forks and yokes. Will post some pics when i got a camera! Cheers

Very nice bike indeed. Is it one of the new otter frames with the revised steering head angle? Mine is one of the earlier Faber frames and I find it a bit lacking in tight turns. It has a tendency to push out the front wheel. So I don't like the nadgery stuff!

I would be interested to hear if anyone has tried one of the new frames since I've considered steepening the head angle on mine.

ps It'll look even better when you've thrown it over the Derbyshire rocks a few times!

The shocks are available from Alan Whitton you will have to check the price with him as it would be unfair of me to mention how much i paid. Depends on the exchange rate etc. ;)

The frame is an earlier Faber not the current Mk2. I dont really find the difference that marked as a lot depends on the length and stiffness of the rear shocks also depends if you are using forks with a leading axle which all affects the effective head angle as does the fork spring rate. Forks compress angle effectively steepens. Longer or stiffer rear shocks effectively the angle steepens. It a bit more difficult with an oil in frame frame to "modify" it. Just ride it as is and fine tune the suspension. Try droping the forks through the yokes to steepen the angle if it bothers you and see if it is preferable.

They are quite strict up here too but i will mainly be riding in club trials and they are not so bad apart from Midland Classic who get their knickers in a twist if the yoke clamp bolts are on the outside of the stantions not the inside. :P

The James will have fiddle forks i.e. Mr Whittons billet yokes with Marzocci inners in Norton sliders. Just annoys me that you have to cheat to be accepted? Whatever.

Then after all that i will lob it down some Derbyshire cliff. B)

Makes you wonder why we bother doesnt it?

I agree with you about Peak Classic. They are a much more realistic bunch so i will probably be doing a few of their trials in 2006.

Alan keeps trying to get me to go with him to some yorkshire events but theyre all "hard men" oop there and i'm a bit of a wobbler myself. Will see what transpires.

Dont like big rocks much. B)

Actually it's the bruises i dont like to tell the truth. :P

More of a grassy banks and streams man. :santawink:

No rocks up here in Yorkshire events, all championship rounds have dual route and the clubmans route has never caused me or my bike any damage.

Clubman class winner this year, Norman Pickles on a fairly basic Cub.

Normans 80 I believe and most of the rest of the regular riders qualify for a winter fuel allowance.

All the championship rounds are at different venues and all are worth a visit especially the 'Captains Trial' nr. Halifax in Sept.

Before you contemplate Peak Classic trials have a look at the cricket scores from their last trial. You'll also find plenty of Gas Gas's etc to ride around with.

The difference between Midland Classic and Peak Classic is that the former is for pre 72 and pre 65 bikes whilst the latter is for twinshocks (oh and don't forget all the monos).

Peak classic have run some excellent trials ( I will be competing at Dudwood next weekend) but they sometimes overdo the big rock steps, impossible (for me) hills etc.

Don't forget that Midland Classic also organise some excellent speed hill climbs (on grass) and enduros if you fancy a bit more excitement.

And Midland Classic are not really that fussy. There are some of Mr Whitton's tricked up James and Cubs competing.

Unless your cub is really something special such as Mick Grant's then basically you are going to be ok. There was a very nice one competing in the last trial : 250cc, Serco gears , Alan Whitton bits etc and this is fine (if you can afford it). There are also plenty of much more original ones.

Midland Classic trials are generally easier than Yorkshire Classic ones, and are enjoyable laid back affairs with a good mix of interesting bikes.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, we still have the jig's ect to make the james trials frames, but haven't made any for about 2 years now. Due to moving business premise's and a change in direction in business, but rest a shored we will be back making the correct type frames for the james on the original jig we made using Micks works bike and a donar. We are still holding massive stocks of new forks and trick for trials conversions.

Our new contact number is 01179868844.

james holland

www.jhsracing.co.uk

I think james holland makes the frames and the trick forks.

contact him on - 01179 712 966

• 2 months later...

• 3 weeks later...

I would stick to your MP forks.

I ride in the BMCA and the two things they particularly look at are forks and hubs. Though they probably would let you ride in a specials class but then you are riding against yourself! Ossa forks/ yokes would be frowned upon. I have been temptd myself but advised against.

• 3 weeks later...

Any one here know what the model engine is in micks james& what hubs are being used? I have just been reading the test on this bike in an old issue of trialsworld, and wondering what needed to be looked for in order to build one of these bikes. Cheers :P