Sign in to follow this  
jersey stew

Beta 80 Carburettor

Anybody ever tried converting the beta 80 to a flatslide carb I.E Keihin, OKO etc???

I think the bike would run cleaner on a better carb, we bought my son his new 2017, its never run brilliantly, often fuelling up and idle seems to vary.

I know the smaller cc bikes will suffer with pilot jets blocking up because by nature the hole is very small.

However Ive had to clean out the carb much more often than on any other bike and also play with the needle height, mixture screw etc to try and retain a decent smooth running.

Surely the top lads on these bikes cant have these issues? Do the likes of Hemmingways have modified bikes? or did we just get the Friday afternoon bike?

Isn't a conversion to a flat side like Keihin or OKO, however I did re-jet my daughters Beta 80 and it runs fantastic.  

Note: Because many scooters have the same carb, if the dealer can't get the jets (they often don't have the smaller ones) you should be able to get them here.  https://www.treatland.tv/ 

Summary of jetting changes that should really make a Beta 80 run way better...

The 100 main dropped to 98 and suggest having at least 93 and 95 on hand in case its still a bit rich.  Example: 93 should be good from around 7,000 to 10,000 feet best guess.

The stock 38 pilot to a 35 and if it runs lean up that to a 37, but would expect the 35 to be good.

The needle clip stock on mine was in second down of four slots from the factory. I moved it all the way up to the top slot (maximum lean) and the leaner pilot jet should just round it out.  If that proves a little to lean you should only have to bring it up one slot.

Got the recommendations from another forum, a post titled "2014 Beta Evo 80 Full Size Adventure" made by motobene.  Was very helpful.   

Hope that helps... really helped out our little Beta 80.  Good luck! :thumbup:

Edited by jonnyc21

Just really an aside my wee boy has   2016 80.  I'm believe it was one of Dougies sons and the carbs stock.

It runs fine but I'm forever cleaning it out . Probably no one on the forum will agree with this but I feel it runs miles better on semi synthetic oil.

Worth a try?

Oh and I should have noted that I know of more than one newer Beta 80 that needed a fuel filter because of small particles coming from the tank.  

Guessing it is something from the manufacturing process, maybe a missing step to flush/clean post assembly or something.  

Lots of good info in the motobene thread. I followed his jetting recommendations but my biggest improvement came from adjusting the little brass mixture screw to the left of the big idle speed screw. Mine was two full turns out from the factory but I ended up at 11/12ths of a turn out. It then actually ran/sounded like all the trials bike I have observed on youtube. Before that it was a blubbery mess even with the leaner jets.

Treatlandtv is an awesome site w/fast response. You have to hunt for the Dellorto jets & small parts page but its there.

Based on my experience w/the Beta 80 that I detailed in the motobene thread (& I was sugarcoating it for a family audience) I would argue they are all made on Monday morning or Friday afternoon. One would think a machine produced w/only small changes for 20 years now would be designed/executed flawlessly. One would be wrong.