Garelli Works Bike!

jaylael

I just won the E Bay auction for a former Donato Miglio works Garelli Trial 320. I am very excited to get my hands on this rare and interesting bike. I wonder if there's anyone out there who knows anything about them or has one? I searched the web and found a guy in CZ who is looking for kickstarter parts. I am certain the kicker mechanism is a weakness of this machine. I will be trying to resolve this problem enough to at least ride the old girl a little bit. Heres a picture of the beast. Sincerely, Jay Lael.

post-13-1108809144.jpg

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool bike Jay, never saw any around only the one Danato, rode in the 86 world round in Yorkshire.

Did you buy it local ? one of the bikes shipped over for the US world round of that time ?

No excuse for not helping to get the twinshock classic series started in this area now.

Talk with to tomorrow.

This bike looks absolutely identical, especially the Engine to the Cagiva TR 3.5 that I owned, the only difference that I can see is the Seat Tank combo as the Cagiva was a one piece unit. I managed to locate a couple of parts from Brittalia Motors in California as they imported a couple from the factory for the world round that I believe was held at the Donner Ranch in California at that time. I also found parts from this guy in Holland but his prices were absolutely absurd. It was a very good runner with a strong motor, but did not track as well as my MAR 250 or my Sherpa-T. I got the name of a chap at the Cagiva factory and he informed me that all of the M-X and Trials stuff had been sold off to a buyer in a case lot and that from there everything was sold off to various dealers all over. If you should have any questions please feel free to contact me at dirtmudnroost@yahoo.ca

Cheers

Glen

Thanks for the great responses! I will post pics of the broken kicker parts with this message. The bike has been languishing in the back of Jim Snell's garage since '88 or something. Donato broke it at Watkins Glenn NY ('85) world round and it was abandoned/orphaned in America along with a mate to it. Both bikes broke the kicker internals during the week before the WR so they didn't even get paint dabs on hubs etc. from tech inspection. :( Donato was very bummed and allegedly went home to Italy and quit, but a quick check of the records show he rode Garelli to 9th place in WR championships in '87 which is when I saw him ride the single shock disc brake Garelli which was very similar to this. (wonder what became of that bike?) This bike includes the spare parts shown in this picture, so my first plan is to try and get it going with what's included. Jim Snell said he isn't sure whether or not there's enough stuff to fix it. He says he has never tried to get it going in all the years he's owned it. I sure intend to asap. As for the Washougal trial I have been instructed by my Doctor not to ride it as I have just had another severe episode of "acute Sinusitis" which lasted for two days and long suffering nights, and I may be forced to have surgery in a few weeks (maybe) My terrible headaches continue to get worse and I am fed up with re-organizing my life around the headaches. I'll be thinking of you guys. Have some fun for me. Jay Lael

post-13-1108845810.jpg

Hi Jay

I visited a shop in Italy 2 years ago and they had brand new Garelli fuel tanks in stock. I have a friend going to the shop next week.......let me know if you want one and I will try and organise it (provided they are still there!!!!)

Also get a list of what other bits you need and I will fax them beforehand.

Martin

I am interested in any Garelli spares that will fit this bike. (If I can afford them) Please have your friend find out if they still have them and obtain contact information for me if posibble. I still haven't got the bike in hand so I don't know what I need. Thanks in advance, Jay

John McCrink has owed a Garelli for many years and has used one for back marking at the pre 65 scottish over the last couple of years (he is on the comittee) so should be a good source of advice on these bikes. John runs an online spares company Classicoff-road.com I suggest you give him an email

Classic off-road.com

Stuart

If it's only the kickstart shaft broken then it looks as if you will be able to do something with the parts you have. If not you could try and find another kickstart shaft with the same spline, counterbore the original and and turn replacement to suit, press the two together and weld - simple!!

I am doing this at the moment with my Cub and C15 to use cheap folding kickstarts bought off ebay for a couple of pounds instead of paying

Thinking on from what I posted above - I expect they would be trying to squeeze as much power as possible from the engine for use in WTC. You may find if you lower the compression ratio and retard the ignition slightly not only will the bike be more ridable the kickstart shaft will get an easier time.

Steve: I agree on your point about WR bikes being tweaked. Ishy bought a '94 WR Beta, the yellow and black one, which Dougie rode at Donner and that was the most intensely wicked runner I think I have ever seen! It had BIG ferocious power! Not for mortals!!!!I intend to check the timing for sure and go from there. Usually those guys twist the stator plate all the way to the fully advanced position for high altitiude events like Donner Pass but if the Garelli is a bit of a lump Donato may have needed all the help he could get. It will be neat to see. Will post when I find that out. I have a stack of pictures printed off my computer of the Garelli to drool at while stopped at red lights on my way to work, getting petrol in my car etc. Oregon is unique in that we have attendants at all gas stations whereas most states have self serve gasoline stations. Amazingly only a few unlucky sods get burned up doing that. When Oregonians travel to other states they don't know how to run the gas pump. :( How do you folks do petrol in England?

Edited by JayLael