dwb5151
-
Joined
-
Last visited
Posts posted by dwb5151
-
-
Bent frame
in Sherco
No the frame was fine that's what I don't understand but now I am going to have to get it strengthen. So the bike will probably need to be taken apart and get the frame strengthen and powered coated. Do you think it would be alright to ride at the moment there's no cracks in the frame but I don't understand why it bent out of shape so easily. I've rode it for 4 hours since the frame was bent out and the gap between the frame and swing arms seem the same but if I come off the bike and hit it is there a chance it could snap off?
-
Bent frame
in Sherco
-
Bent frame
in Sherco
I took my 2011 sherco 290 out the other day and there was a clinking noise coming from the bike. I thought it was the chain slipping off the front sprocket. But when i had a look at it the chain was hitting the frame. I took my bike down to my local dealer and the frame was bent in down at the legs causing the chain to hit the frame. There was hardly any gap between the swing arm and the frame. We also noticed that the foot rest was sitting up at an angle.We used a crowbar to bend the frame out. But what i don't understand is what caused. it. I haven't hit the foot rests at all and somehow the frame has managed to bend in. The other thing i noticed was the frame bend out of shape relativity easy. Any ideas on what caused it, i know the 2011 sherco's did have frame problems any advice would be appreciated many thanks Dw.
-
-
-
-
-
There are many reasons why experts dont ride them
They are heavy compared to 2 strokes so its not as easy to bounce them around.
Its hard to adjust to the four stroke riding style some people cant adjust to it
You dont get the instant acceleration from them compared to a 2 stroke
Expert riders think they need more power and big bore kits are expensive.
They are more novice friendly because they don't require a lot of maintenance and they are bullet proof. This is my opinion
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
My bike is doing the same just dies and the spark plug is sootedDid a trial last week and while I was checking a section I left the bike ticking over. As I set off into the section the bike just bogged and cut out. I couldn`t restart the bike so I took the plug out to find it was very sooted up. This has happened before when bike was left ticking over to warm up. Even after cleaning the plug the bike is reluctant to start and needs a new plug.
Is there anything I can do to reset mixture ? as it seems to fun too rich.
-
-
What makes you so sure the bike is not running rich?
The spark plug isn't oily. There's a weird smell coming from it . I took the exhaust off and i notice the spark plug smells exactly like what the exhaust does inside. That made me think that the exhaust fumes aren't getting out creating a back-flow causing all the exhaust fumes and oil going to the top head causing the spark plug to go like that. As i noticed when riding some times it wouldn't rev properly and i would give it a hard rev and then smoke would then come out of the exhaust.
-
Some time back, over two years ago, I had a 1999 Sherco and had the same problem, it just started doing it, id had the bike for around six months and the plug was fine but then it started to bog down and the plug would look the same as yours after just a few hours, the only thing I had recently done to the bike was change the oil but I used a different kind oil than I normally used, I changed the oil back to the oil I normally used and it solved the problem. I don't know what was going on with the other oil, I'm certainly no mechanic but it sorted my problem out and the bike ran fine after the oil change.
Funny you say that i changed to a different 2 stroke oil putonlon one which i used on my older bikes but not on this one
-
-
I started the bike a while ago black liquid came out of where the spark plug goes. The spark plug wasn't in fully tight as i was just starting the bike to see if the fan was running. I took the spark plug out and smoke came out of where the spark plug goes. Every so often when riding the bike i would have to rev it hard to get it to rev properly giving me the idea that the exhaust is what is causing the spark plug to go like that. Some times smoke doesnt seem to come out of the exhaust then sometimes it would.
-
Edited by dwb5151
Hi do you think that my exhaust on my 2011 sherco 290 could be causing my bike to die after 4 hours of riding and causing the spark plug to go like this. I am getting the exhaust cut open and repacked to see if it stops the gasping noise the bike is also making when i rev it. The spark plug isn't oily and the bike mixture isn't to rich. Any advice would be appreciated many thanks Dw

-
Edited by dwb5151
I look after my bike very well. But nearly every single time i go out on it something goes wrong. I haven't actually rid my bike properly in 4 months. The last time i took it out it just died on me and wouldn't start so I had to push it all the way back. The exhaust is now being cut open and repacked as it was sooting the spark plug. Then the time before that the bike was making a gasping noise and wouldn't tick over. The bike still is making the gasping noise i am hoping that by repacking the exhaust it will stop it. This is an example of the problems i am having. I ride a lot of grassy mounds and i would ride 8 to 10 hours a week
-
-
Are the older bikes more reliable and better made than the newer bikes. As my 2011 sherco seems to be always letting me down when compared to my previous bikes montesa 315r and sherco 2004 200 (which had piston slap). For example I never really greased the suspension on them and they seemed to last longer. On my current bike i seem to be spending more time working on it than i do riding it. It just seems to be one thing after another.
Bent frame
in Sherco
·
Edited by dwb5151
Thanks for the reply's will try and get stuck into it. The swingarm bolt is fine and i think i have found out where the frame has let go.