Trials Transport

gii

Ok, I'm sick of getting changed in the wind and rain whilst standing in my socks in the clarts and I'm not too impressed by the effect the salt on the roads is having on my already scruffy Sherco.

I don't want a van and after the fun parking at Rookhope a couple of weeks ago 4WD would be nice.

So, is it possible to fit a trials bike into the back of any of the lwb 4wd vehicles currently available in the UK? I'm thinking Landrover 110, LWB Trooper, or even the commercial version of the Discovery

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest sherco dude

colin has one i think he takes his with bike sometimes there was one with a trailer on at wooler and there is that lad and his dad they have a range rover vouqe and trailer and the bmw x5 has a good reveiw for on road but not for off the RR won that ;)

Get a VW Polo estate.

If you simply remove the rear wheel, front wheel, loosen the head set, drop the forks out, remove the handlebars, remove the rear mudguard, it slots in nicely....probably.

Makes a right mess when you jetwash it on the way home though.

And of course there's nowhere to get changed, but you're from the North, so you should have no problem stripping to your wedding tackle in sub zero conditions.

I'm not helping here am I?

Hi GOrdon...

And apologies to any Discovery owners...but..I think you'll be dissapointed if you buy one of those. My brother had one for a while..and he often drives nearly 2,000 miles a week. He reckons its the worst thing he's owned! FOr short trips though/and off road??it might be good??

GII, I was looking at importing a Land Rover 110 into Canada for the same reason. Right now I have a Toyota 4Runner (No the bike won't fit in the back). Pick ups are great trucks but if you put a canopy on the back bed again you're lost for head room for both bike & rider. If you're not looking for comfort but decent 4x4 & room to change, carry a bike & even sleep the Rover 110 is the dogs danglies.

I've got a Disco and I carry my bike on a bike rack which I made myself, No getting stuck and no hassle with a trailer.

I find mine very comfy to drive big distance (300 TDI) not too bad on juice either.

My disco is big enough in the back to push all the seats forward and i can get changed in the back when it's p***ing down...no problem.

Vans are cool, I was thinking of buying a van before the Disco but, I had MAJOR hassle trying to get it insured.........they just don't believe that you are going to use it for pleasure purposes, in the end I was put off the whole idea just because of the insurance thing.

If you can get past the insurance thing why not go for a 4X4 Transit, they say they just don't get stuck.

Guest sherco dude
Whats wrong with vans?

dabster if you where at the rookhope trial gordon is talking about you would know nearly every van was getting stuck in the mud ;)