Trials Transport

gii

Gordon,

Saw Carl Shaw with his Sherco (or may have been Scorpa) in the back of a Ford Galaxy - this was about a year or so ago. Looked fully built up. Not 4WD obviously, but more comfortable than a Landrover !

Do you really want to swap your BMW for a Landrover !!

John.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was Carl in the Galaxy that planted the seed really, but the price put me right off. I just fancy a cheap 2nd vehicle that can do stuff that the car can't do ie. room to change and transport the bike dry, and 4x4 for the snotty stuff.

It struck me that a Landy would fit the bill, they're readily available, cheap to insure, hold their value if looked after and are slightly more reliable than my old TR7 was.

I guess I'll have to take the bike to viewings

Seems the answer is the 4x4 Van. If u can find one cheap enough for your budget The Pickups just don't have the height and the Defender hasn't the length. The Transit County is about but you are talking

On the way home from today's trial at Belford we found the answer to your problem, a garage on the A1 has a couple of ex-army personnel carriers for sale, complete with tracks. They were certainly big enough to carry the bike, and you'll never get stuck again!!

My brother is a mechanic for the electricity board here in Belfast and has to deal with landys every day, in all their shapes and forms.

A common misconception is that because of the aluminium body work they don't rust. However, the chassis is steel and isn't galvanised at that, so rather than a rust spot on a wing, you get a hole in a main structural member requiring pretty heavy duty welding.

And this isn't on old junkers found on a hill farm somewhere, this is on machines about five years old. Other problem areas are shock tops, CV joints and track rod ends, which the brother says have to be replaced on each landy at EVERY M.O.T!!!

Add to this a trade off of crap road manners or crap fuel economy!!

Someone told me that 75% of all land rovers built are still around,

Probably in a garage somewhere waiting to be fixed or welded......

Hi-Lux 4x4's definitely rule the roost.... Just ask jeremy clarkeson!!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the help? lads

Ended up buying a cheap Landrover 110 hard top that's been to the moon and back.

With a little effort, 3 complete bikes and their riders fit in, you can park it anywhere and being a short @rse it's not too uncomfortable to drive.

Re-defines the term 'acceleration' though.

Hey Ian how's your Trials Truck project going?

Must take some photos soon, although it hasn't moved on much in the past while. Thank gawd I don't have to suffer any embarrassment....it ain't really my project.....I just hangout with the guys that do (see below).

Various pics....including one with the truck owner wearing a tad to large set of overalls. The last pic is just after it had it's alloy panelling was done, and just before the rear end was lengthened 4ft!!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Ian.

Edited by IanJ