Acu Trials Forum Cancellation

john collins

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's an awesome idea and one which doesn't give anyone any excuses. Even if someone doesn't personally own a computer with an internet connection, even if they're the most luddite technophobe in the world, they MUST know at least one person who could provide access to the necessary equipment and technical support for at least a couple of hours during a two-week period.

There are potential technical issues to overcome of course but this could work. In fact, a "secure forum" is a good idea for a development project... :unsure:

Edited by neonsurge

In fact, a "secure forum" is a good idea for a development project... :D

This is something we can provide on this site :unsure:

John, I believe this is a solid opportunity to make a big leap forward for the ACU. I would certainly provide any help thats required to make this happen :)

Over to you :D

I fully support the idea of an internet based discussion over a period of a couple of weeks. The time and travel required to get to a meeting is beyond most people these days due to other events in their lives.

I kind of think that is a cop out, if anything is important enough people will make time. Whilst full and frank discussion is possible on the internet it is easier much easier to make a point which may or may not be noteworthy, justified or valid. I could comment on the A & B british champs for example as I have seen two this year, but are my comments relative to the whole series, or if I had an axe to grind could I make a forceful point carry much more weight on the forum?

Edited by Nigel Dabster

I fully support the idea of an internet based discussion over a period of a couple of weeks. The time and travel required to get to a meeting is beyond most people these days due to other events in their lives.

I kind of think that is a cop out, if anything is important enough people will make time.

As the ACU forum was cancelled, no one obviously thought it was important enough to make the time! If it is to work, then people need to get talking and an online forum does that at its very least. These days, trials needs to fit around busy lives and the people in trials I talk to seem to be getting busier and busier :rolleyes:

Online is the way to go :beer:

IMHO :rolleyes:

I kind of think that is a cop out, if anything is important enough people will make time. Whilst full and frank discussion is possible on the internet it is easier much easier to make a point which may or may not be noteworthy, justified or valid. I could comment on the A & B british champs for example as I have seen two this year, but are my comments relative to the whole series, or if I had an axe to grind could I make a forceful point carry much more weight on the forum?

In an ideal world, the trials forum would have been well attended by numerous interested parties. This would have riased many common points for consideration and ultimately led to an improvement in the sport.

This did not happen.

Yes, perhaps the proposed forum it is a cop out, we (including myself. No real excuse) gave up our chance to attend this meeting and raise out points, I for one would really welcome a second chance to join in this discussion. Surely it's worth a go? Anything is better than another cancelled meeting.

I'll eat humble pie and publicly appologise to John Collins and the ACU for not attending if it helps but I hope the forum idea will be given a chance.

Okay. I'm home now.

Firstly, the support is good and I back the idea totally. I don't really see it as a cop-out. Yes the opportunity was there, but I can understand people being unable to attend. It's a geographically dispersed sport - I know I'd have loved to have gone. Not because I have anything really to add as I'm not a member of a Club and don't ride, but just to say "Hey, I think this is a great idea and I'm supporting it". However, Rugby is a helluva trek for me just to show face. Also, things are tougher business-wise these days than they used to be. There's more pressure on people at work to get results so it becomes harder to take time away and many use what holidays they have to either go to (like me!) or to organise Trials events.

I'll talk to John offline about his thoughts and allow him to get input from other members of the T&E Committee. Whilst he has been very active on these forums, there is more than just him involved from the ACU side. They may wish to host or arrange things themselves and, whilst I'd absolutely respect that, Trials Central does, in my opinion, have a good cross-section of representatives and readership from across the UK plus, obviously, the software infrastructure already in place to support this.

If it were to go ahead then there are three ways I can handle it within the forums:

1) A forum where all registered users can post.

2) A locked forum with only those in the knowledge of a password can read and post.

3) A forum where all can read, but only those with appropriate permissions can post.

My opinions:

Option 1) Sucks. A free-for-all would go nowhere. I can picture it now.... "ACU SUX. LOLOLOL!!!!11111ROFL"

Option 2) Too secretive. The objective of a forum is to be open, to gain input and to encourage INTELLIGENT (See Option 1!) discussion and debate.

Option 3) As Mart would say....PERFECT!

Option 3 offers the absolute best solution. Nominated or volunteer delegates and, obviously ACU people, have permission to post. Everybody can read, but if they have anything they want to raise then they do it through their regional representative.

oh mr john, you took my post a little to serious, id love to whisper in your ear, i was just stating a few little points, and to say that you think that people like me dont do anything to help trials is a load of poo, im involed in a motorclub and set out all the trials, and also involed in results and entries etc, i help on training days, infact i will do all i can to help trials and riders etc, i would be more than happy to join the forum as i didnt know about it, i know what your saying as im just sat at the computer saying what i think, because at the end of the day i dont know the facts and figures, i was just been an a***, over the years i wanted support from the a.c.u and also seen entries and events get worst, but as i said above i dont know what your aloud to spend your money on, i will put my name down for the forum for future if you end up wanting to start one again, my post was a little to personal as i know you will work your ass off with what you have got just to get a prat like me to get a giggle, so for that i apologise.

Firstly I would like to say that I think that the online forum idea sounds great, and I think that the idea of regulating who can contribute is spot on as this will cut down a lot of rubbish, and hopefully only relevant information will be posted.

I was really disappointed that the forum was cancelled because as most of the girls were away riding the European in Spain. During the last few weeks we all took the time out to collaborate our ideas and views about the British Ladies Championship so that a letter could be read out at the forum on our behalf. I just only hope that our views will still be aknowledged because a lot of hard work was put into compiling a way to save the future of the Ladies BC.

Unfortunately, John Dickinson, the editor of T&MX News has written about this subject on page 3 of this weeks issue and it is less than encouraging.

He says " It has recently been muted that the ACU forum now be website based. Great idea for debate but 100% unworkable in practise."

Perhaps he is right, however surely it is better to give it a try than to be faced with yet another cancelled meeting?

I just read JD's page 3 post in this weeks TM-X where he believes that running an online forum to discuss and debate these issues is a "Great idea for debate but 100% unworkable in practice" . I think he is completely wrong. Is he a member of this site I wonder or does he just get all his content for his column from here? If you are then make yourself known so we can run a debate and see if it will work? I think it will, in fact I know it will. How do I know that? Well if you want to make a success of something you find a way to make it work and that is exactly what we will do if this forum idea is given a chance. :beer: