Interchanging Wheels

montaco

Hi, I know there has been discussion about this before (and even earlier on T.A.) but I have searched the forum and can't find the definitive answer.

Is there a Montesa rear wheel which is a direct swap into a 2003 Sherco 290 ?. I suspect not, due to the change to inboard caliper although Ishy seemed to have done it?.

If not, what are the pros and cons of machining a Montesa wheel to suit?. Or using a Montesa rim on a Sherco hub?.

The 2003 Montesa rear wheel would fit with the correct spacers but it seems either the disc or sprocket would have to be moved slightly, and the rim offset also doesn't look right.

Any ideas?. I've had enough of leaking spokes on the Sherco wheel and whatever anyone says if a bike is being regularily used on rocks it's an ongoing problem.

I reckon Ishy's just a hnd fisted Yorkshireman :angry:

I reckon with the right spacer on the caliper side, and a crow bar on the other side it'd go in :D

Would be good to get ths answered once and for all. I think when I looked last time there was a difference between the GasGas and Sherco wheel which was - 6mm less distance between disk and sprocket on the Sherco than the Gasser. Maybe if you get the disk in the right place using spacers on the disc side, you can lose a bit of space on the sprocket side. In any case you'd have offset the wheel by 6mm.

Maybe the Montesa wheel is less of a difference?

Maybe Ishy's had a car jack in between his swinging arm to make some room. :D

Anybody?

I think this depends what model year your talking about. A reliable source told me that on the 06 bikes the scorpa gas gas and sherco rear wheels are the same. in a round about way I can confirm this. I bought a sherco wheel second hand, fitted the Gas Gas spacers and it worked no problem. I then sold the gas gas with the sherco wheel in and the gas gas wheel went straight in the scorpa, again no problem.

I can tell you that the mont wheel is different but you can get a GG wheel to work in a mont apparently by using a different spacer. However I dont think it will work the other way round as the mont wheel is bigger so you would need to change the hub.

Thanks for the input Baldilocks, but this is the way this thread always seems to go, off topic!.

I know that a 1998 Montesa rear wheel will fit a 1999 Sherco and vice versa but the caliper layout changed since then.

The question here is, can a Montesa rear wheel of any year be modified to fit a 2003 Sherco 290?. Alternatively can a Montesa rim of any year be spoked to a 2003 type sherco hub?.

On November 21st 2005, Ishy posted:-

"Just to keep you thinking, I have used the Mont back wheel on all my Shercos since "03, I keep the Mont spacers in the wheel so the disc is centered other than that it bolts right in. It"s on my 320 at the mo".

Well, a mates 2003 Mont rear isn"t a straight swap with the Sherco in my shed!. What"s the secret Ishy?.

A montesa rear wheel fits a sherco no problem.

Firstly the mont wheel must be 2001 or newer, I think that was the year the rear caliper was inside the swing arm. You need to use the sherco spacer on the sprocket side and a montesa spacer on the disc side. The mont hub must be slightly wider than the sherco hub.

I know what you mean about the sherco wheel, the rim tape can be a real pain at times. With the mont wheel you don't need to worry about leaky spokes.

This has been tried and tested on my 04 sherco. I borrowed a mont wheel a couple of years ago to use as a spare at the Scottish. I think the mont wheel was a 2002.

There was a guy using a 4rt rear wheel in his gas gas at the trial last weekend as well. Not sure of the spacers he used tho.

Hope this helps.

Just put automotive grease on the end of every spoke, coat the underside of the rim tape with the same grease and refit. Your leaks will stop and its cheaper and easier than messing with silicone or fitting montesa wheels.

• 10 months later...
A montesa rear wheel fits a sherco no problem.

Firstly the mont wheel must be 2001 or newer, I think that was the year the rear caliper was inside the swing arm. You need to use the sherco spacer on the sprocket side and a montesa spacer on the disc side. The mont hub must be slightly wider than the sherco hub.

I know what you mean about the sherco wheel, the rim tape can be a real pain at times. With the mont wheel you don't need to worry about leaky spokes.

This has been tried and tested on my 04 sherco. I borrowed a mont wheel a couple of years ago to use as a spare at the Scottish. I think the mont wheel was a 2002.

There was a guy using a 4rt rear wheel in his gas gas at the trial last weekend as well. Not sure of the spacers he used tho.

Hope this helps.

Hi Teamsteevo,

Since the time you've posted this, have you seen any other cases of Shercos equipped with a Montesa wheel ? Can you give us an update as for fitting the 4RT wheel on it ?

I would be interested in getting a 4RT wheel (32 spokes) as opposed to the older Montesa wheel (36 spokes) and would like to confirm if the spacer-swap trick as you described here works well with that wheel (Sherco spacer on the disc side, Monty spacer on the sprocket side) - Anybody tried it ?

I want to have a 2nd wheel, would keep the current wheel as a spare/practice wheel with a not-so-new tire and use the Monty wheel for events (and gain confidence against spoke/rimband leaks)

Thanks.

Hugo

Sherco 2.9 2006

none are indestructible though.

last weekend, Montesa rider struggling with changing a tube in back, he has been running a tube all year. Can't get the bead to seal from some barely visible rock dings on the flange of rim....

spokeless would be nice, but I'd happily deal with rim bands if I could switch the old vintage bike from tube type to tubeless in back. my how those bead locks and tubes suck.

kcj