The Scottish Trials Scene.

montaco

OK, now that the ladies have settled their off-topic dispute with handbags at dawn, :angry: does anyone have any sensible comments on the perception that scottish trials might be in one of their downward trends following the huge influx of newcomers after the Foot and Mouth epidemic.

And could it be that the lack of trial previews, reports, results, and general scottish chat on TC and on SACU and some club websites doesn't help to retain interest in the game or give inspiration to would-be competitors?.

Slapshot3 suggested that changes in club personnel might have a lot to do with the information shortage, is this a new generation type thing?. Most guys of John Collins era who grew up with pre-65 bikes as a matter of course are now out of the game and many of the children they encouraged have also discovered mortgages, etc and are out of the game too. Bearing in mind the often quoted "I have a life outside trials you know" when even the mildest criticism is made,are we now into the Margaret Thatcher generation of kids who have lost the concept of unselfish effort for the occasional benefit of others?.

Edited by montaco

OK, now that the ladies have settled their off-topic dispute with handbags at dawn, :D

Love it! :angry:

does anyone have any sensible comments on the perception that scottish trials might be in one of their downward trends following the huge influx of newcomers after the Foot and Mouth epidemic.

And could it be that the lack of trial previews, reports, results, and general scottish chat on TC and on SACU and some club websites doesn't help to retain interest in the game or give inspiration to would-be competitors?.

Slapshot3 suggested that changes in club personnel might have a lot to do with the information shortage, is this a new generation type thing?. Most guys of John Collins era who grew up with pre-65 bikes as a matter of course are now out of the game and many of the children they encouraged have also discovered mortgages, etc and are out of the game too. Bearing in mind the often quoted "I have a life outside trials you know" when even the mildest criticism is made,are we now into the Margaret Thatcher generation of kids who have lost the concept of unselfish effort for the occasional benefit of others?.

I don't think that there is a downward trend, certainly not up here in the North. IDMCC has steadily been expanding over the past few years to the extent of parking problems where large numbers turn out to a (Club) Trial!

The downward trend is much more evident at Nationals where some clubs get very poor entries. I put this down to unwillingness to travel out of their own area. Most of our members are quite happy to go an hour or so from home for their days sport but any further, they'll find something else to do.

This year, the SACU Trials Committee deemed that there would be no Club Trial permits issued when a Championship National was on but as far as I can see, this has no effect in increasing entries.

So what do we do?

Ban Club Trials?

Ban them on Sundays and leave that day for Nationals only?

I'm afraid that probably wouldn't make that much difference either.

There are so many other things going on now, as a Sunday is now much the same as any other day of the week with virtually all large shops and centres/retail parks etc. open for instance.

As far as websites/forums etc are concerned, I don't think that trials riders would lose interest in the sport if they disappeared overnight. In saying that, websites/forums keep people in touch instantly with TC (probably the best in the world) at the top of the tree. Most new riders come into the sport through a friend or relation, not through deciding "I want to ride a trials bike" and trawling the net for info.

Peoples self interest?............it's out there in bucketloads...........try getting 15 observers on a Sunday!!

Yes, I do have a life outside trials (wife and 2 daughters to keep happy) but I give it as much time as I can spare. I wish the bulk of riders would do the same and not leave it to the willing horse. :D D

Yeah, sorry must admit my "research" wasn't very scientific. I counted up the number of entries in Nationals and Championships (the ones I could find on the web!) and they seemed pretty low compared to a few years ago. Also noticed that one big club (website!) had only had 7 entries at each of their last 2 CtoC trials.

With hindsight none of this is necessarily representative of the Scotland wide picture.

My point about news, reports,etc is really that if like me you don't fancy or are not capable of actually riding in an organised trial but have an interest in bikes and trials, the next best thing is reading an interesting report about it.

I have nothing but admiration for anybody who sticks their head above the parapet and organises anything for other people, I couldn't organise the proverbial in a brewery.

My point about news, reports,etc is really that if like me you don't fancy or are not capable of actually riding in an organised trial but have an interest in bikes and trials, the next best thing is reading an interesting report about it.

I totally agree, and here is the best resource for all that. :angry: D

Does your sub tropical weather not have an influence on the amount of peeps who ride up there? Being a woosie southerner , if it drops below 10 degrees then I stay in bed :D ( saying that, I know a big tough Yorkshireman who has been known to do the same :angry: )

Does your sub tropical weather not have an influence on the amount of peeps who ride up there? Being a woosie southerner , if it drops below 10 degrees then I stay in bed :D ( saying that, I know a big tough Yorkshireman who has been known to do the same :angry: )

Nah, w've all got webbed feet and personally insulated up here Ian. Only you southern softies complain when It's wet up here :D

Not sure about a decline in riders, we were out marking out for our team trial tomorrow which has an entry of over 120. However I do agree that after a trial its nice to read about it, see pictures and to get the results. And, webbed feet?? I thought about renting scuba gear today(only joking not that extreme!! :angry: ) See you all tomorrow if your coming!

This year, the SACU Trials Committee deemed that there would be no Club Trial permits issued when a Championship National was on but as far as I can see, this has no effect in increasing entries.

Now I dont mean to be a smart a**e but I have attended a club trial on the day of a national this year and the entry was decent at the club trial.The entry at the national seemed to be lacking. So perhaps the rule is not being applied as thought? Just thought I would mention this.

Cheers

Mike

You may well have attended a Club Trial on the same day as a National, that was deemed OK but I quoted a Championship Trial i.e. Youth/Over 40/etc. or Adult/Clubman event. The rule was applied as a Club could not get a permit for the same day as a Championship Round.

The Inter Club Team Trial usually gets a decent entry as it's known as not too hard an event. A bit of rivalry between clubs usually makes it a great day out.

Bet you got a few teams trying to enter without an observer though!! :angry: D.

Thanks for the replies chaps, I now understand the situation. The National that was on the same day was

a round of the youth champs. In reply to the original post I think the scottish trials scene is still very much alive and kicking. Especially after todays turn out at Monzie! It was a good trial ,my thanks to all the observers and course setters.

cheers

Mike

I echo betamike's thanks to the Perth club for a good day out, as always.

As regards the Scottish scene, has anyone else noticed the appparent phenomenon where people progress through the Schoolboy ranks but don't generally seem to stick at it in the Adults? There seems to be a big void between the young adults (say early 20's) and the over 40's with few competitors, certainly regular competitors, about the thirty mark.

All credit to everyone who is doing the winning but few are coming up to challenge, witness Les Winthrop coming back after X years to find he was competing against the same guys as before. Now he has gone it's effectively back to Gavin Johnston (in a way I don't count Gary Macdonald as he is essentially a professional and in a different league altogether).

Having been a lurker for a long time I feel so strongly about recent comments that it is time to speak out.

What Scottish trials needs is a respected Trials Committee who are fully aware about whats happening on the trials scene in Scotland. A committee who will push trials as much as the MX committee have pushed MX. If that means trying to find sponsors then so be it.

If Big John is who I think he is, I would have expected him to make salient and constructive comment. By swinging his SACU badge about, he should expect people to ask direct questions and who in turn expect direct answers. In the Youth forum he is seen bitching about motorhomes. In this topic, congratulating the Perth club for a running a great trial and commenting on the riders taking part would have been much more benificial to his status than blowing on about him, his dad and when he was a boy. Trials in Scotland is about MORE, MUCH MORE than Big John. Your knowledge of trials past is unequalled but the same can't be said about you knowledge about the here and now.

John Collins ALWAYS gives true, clear and unbiased advice. Stick to that idea Big John and you'll gain far more respect.

well said HL :thumbup:

What Scottish trials needs is a respected Trials Committee who are fully aware about whats happening on the trials scene in Scotland.

well lets get thing moving -

tell us your name, and then we can vote you onto the SACU trials committee - sorted.