2007 New National Championship Class

ron

Obviously someone missed the WTC kids kicking all the US Experts asses in TN! I don't think safety is a factor in any but the most extreme cases. However skill is a definite factor! It just takes better skills to ride a 125 well!

And yes, I have one that I practice on and ride local events. It sometimes wears me out, sometimes I wear it out! Depends on the day! One thing for sure, my name is not Cabestany, and the chance of me wearing out the 2.9 is not very good!

:thumbup:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Ron said it best this is for the kids with European aspirations. I could see my kids going eithier way, if they are very serius about trials then they would stay on a 125 to make themselves a better rider and maybe be ready for the 125 world stuff. If on the other had they just want to ride as strictly a hobbie and they have other interests such as fishing, football or girls then I would see no reason to not get them a 250 so they could just ride local events or what ever for fun. I for one am glad we don't FORCE all the kids to stay on 125's like Europe.

Edited by sirhc

When forced to ride things a little over your head a little extra power isnt a bad idea or at least it is a safer idea.

You and I have seriously different views of "safe".

:thumbup:

My thoughts exactly! Visions of Tim the Toolman, and his constant screw-ups in pursuit of "more power" keep running through my head. :beer:

Obviously someone missed the WTC kids kicking all the US Experts asses in TN!

I was there i saw them they are fantastic amazing great riders. I wonder why could it be because there goverment could not distingush between the need to limit overpowered street bikes from trials bikes and FORCE them to ride 125s or could it be they have access to a close event every week, someone to practice with during the week champions living in the neighbor hood , a public that is more aware of trials ect to many advantages to list could be both. We currently have a few that are staying on the 125 and a few on big machines when there all on big bikes together we will then know whether the 125 helps much. In the mean time were going to segrgate the kids. If the 125 riders kick butt when they all get back together on big bikes we could have 2 pro classes one for those who had the advantage of being on a 125 till they are 17-18 and 1 for those who didnt Know im sounding like Mich enough said

this is no different than any other form of motorcycle racing, or competing. More power makes for more problems when you get in over your head. For the fact that more power will allow you the opportunity to ride obstacles your ability cannot handle. There are PLENTY of adults in the USA that should be riding 125 or 200 right now.

You and I have seriously different views of "safe".

My thoughts exactly! Visions of Tim the Toolman, and his constant screw-ups in pursuit of "more power" keep running through my head.

Let me explain what i was talking about where i am from there are a loose knit bunch of riders no events no clubs just trials riders sometimes the novice riders go out and ride novice sections and the expert riders go out and ride expert sections and you take a choice. So he can go out and ride novice sections and learn nothing or he can go with the big boys and learn a lot. I shouldnt have said over his head but difficult is a better word. This may be a long hill climb a 3-4 foot splatter ect. i think he would crash more on a 125 than on a 280. Less crashes equals safer. He might have better tequinice riding a 125 andcould be a better rider in the future with a 125 but thats debatable are goal is to have fun not win championships.

I can see where Hensley is coming from, I have ridden some of the kids 125's and I'm sure if I tried to do my same sections at a trial on one I would not make it up some stuff that I would on my 270, thus making it more likely I would get hurt.

I think we're talking about two different things, sirhc.

For adult me, yes, 125s are not adequate. For the most part, we're larger than the young teenagers, so we need the low end power to pull our additional weight around. But, I ride a 200 (175cc, in reality), and it has plenty of power. I've seen Tommi Ahvala ride a 200 and he said he can do virtually anything on a 200 that he can on a larger bike.

For kids, they are better off with less power. I think they're far more likely to crash due to too much power than to inadequate power. In my experience, I can go up bigger stuff on a 200 than on a 280, for the simple reason that I can get more aggressive with the throttle, which allows me to ride more aggressively.

I think the smaller displacement engines are good for trials kids, just as they are good for MX kids. I doubt that anyone would argue that 12 year olds should race 450s on a supercross track just so they have enough power for that big triple.

Sam Posted Yesterday, 03:58 PM

Zippy,

You Michigan Mafia guys sure are cocky!

Not sure what you are talking about Sam, the Ty80 thing? I meant in response to "alot of adults should be on 125's" to learn technique. That the way I ride, I need to really work on the technique and that an 80cc would teach me more.

But this has me thinking, I wonder if the TY80 would pull my rather large behind over that first rock in section one this past weekend?

Ok lets say a 125 is safer than a 280 and kids crash more on a 280 than a 125. Usually but not always less crashes equals less points. That makes the 125 have an advantage over a 280 as far as who gets the lowest score so lets run them all in the same class and let whoever thinks a 125 is best suited for them ride a 125 and whoever thinks a 280 is best suited for them ride a 280.

Well there you have it from THE beave himself. "ONLY to compete with the europeans"

I would never put my kid on a 125 to give him a smooth transistion from the small 80cc to the full adult sized 250cc that would simply make too much sense and we all know that I never make sense, unlike the beave who is crystal clear and 100% consistant 100% of the time.

That's exactly ONLY why motocross fathers put their kids on 125 cc motorcycles as well, ONLY to compete with the europeans.

With that mentality a motocross father who didn't want his kid to compete against the Europeans would simply move his kid from the KTM 50 class straight to a CRF 450F.

Hey beave, thanks for putting a smile on my face again! I rather enjoy clowns.....and yes it takes on to know one!