Air Box On Late Model Pro's?

sam

This is an interresting point.

I do play in streams and i have got the air filter too wet once.

On the bottom of my 05 box i have a flappy bit of plastic covering the hole and a bit of carbon looking materialu under it between the flap and the box..when i had water in my box this set up wouldnt let water out the bottom.

So if this is stopping water getting in the bottom.. where is the water getting in ??

suppose i did take it to air box depth but only for a moment....

is the solution just to take the airbox apart and silicone it back together?? somehow i dont fancy that idea...dont know why...

is it straight forward to do ?

Matt

Be cool Andy, I was having problems at my end loading, not sure what the problem is, I'm in absolutly no hurry for a answer!

Once again, I'm very interested in a GasGas for 07, I'll be moving from a Montesa 2003 which has been a great bike, but the GasGas'es I have rode 06, seem so light and ride smooth.

This air cleaner box issue is one I would like a little feed back on!

Thank You,

sam.

Hello Matt, when i had the Raga i took the air box apart (two halves)

and siliconed them back together, also leave the flap off the bottom of

the air box, at least if water gets in it can get straight back out!

just look at your kids raga, you should know that by now.

I now have my fourth Gas Gas Pro.

what annoys me more than anything is people advising others to split the airbox and apply silicone to the joints. I did it on the first two and it makes hardly any difference.

The muck / water / whatever else is getting in through the air intake, through the inspection cover, through the hole in the base and through the bolt hole for the rear mudguard. Some may also get in the joints if you dont silicone them but as its going to get in everywhere else i dont see the point. Most of it comes in through the air intake as ;

A its quite low

B water runs down the joint between the tank and seat base

C the vents in seat base are quite close to the intake

Every trial I ride the filter box looks like a garden centre afterwards. We do have a lot of streams in my part of the world to be fair.

However its very rare that anything gets through to the carb so dont worry about it. Buy good filter oil and clean the filter every time you ride. Also bear in mind that all the stuff in the filter box is still on the outside of the element.

PS I absolutely love riding it :hyper:

Edited by Baldilocks

I now have my fourth Gas Gas Pro.

what annoys me more than anything is people advising others to split the airbox and apply silicone to the joints. I did it on the first two and it makes hardly any difference.

The muck / water / whatever else is getting in through the air intake, through the inspection cover, through the hole in the base and through the bolt hole for the rear mudguard. Some may also get in the joints if you dont silicone them but as its going to get in everywhere else i dont see the point. Most of it comes in through the air intake as ;

A its quite low

B water runs down the joint between the tank and seat base

C the vents in seat base are quite close to the intake

Every trial I ride the filter box looks like a garden centre afterwards. We do have a lot of streams in my part of the world to be fair..

However its very rare that anything gets through to the carb so dont worry about it. Buy good filter oil and clean the filter every time you ride. Also bear in mind that all the stuff in the filter box is still on the outside of the element.

PS I absolutely love riding it :hyper:

Are you saying don't remove and disasemble the air box? I just removed mine and resealed it with the result of far less crud getting in the box than before. You make a valid point with the vents, tank and air intact but i don't see why your so anti sealing the box. Isn't sealing the box another way for preventing dirt getting in.

One thing i've noticed is dirt gets in the from where the throttle cable meeting the connection point on top of the card

Yes some of the crud comes up from the inlet side, I have made a larger rubber flap to complement the original (plus lots of duct tape!!) , this stops the stuff that is splashing up from the front. I have also stuck a 6mm high flap in the airbox inlet so water running down from the rubber flap doesnt run straight into the air box. A bit of sponge in the bottom og the box helps a bit as well.

:hyper:

99techno,

Ill have a closure look at our kids, but if memory serves me right hes drowned his bike acouple of times in places where i didnt, so im abit dubious to completely remove the flappy bits.

But ive covered the air intakes on the top next to the seat, but ill have a closer look at his bike and where all the silicone goes.

Replies are appreciated

Matt