Rules Are Rules

nigel dabster

I think what he is trying to say is that just because the clock strikes 12' on your birthday does not mean that you are going to wake up the next morning saying "I feel like kicking Dougie's ass"! or "Maybe I'll just pee on Adam's boots! Then kick Caby in the nackers!" :thumbup:

I think you have to hit the ripe old of 40 as least before you wake up feeling like Heath(R2w), just look as poor Barry! Poorlad can't even give someone like Bou the proper finger! :)

I think adding classes and other twist into the mix to improve competitor attendance at world rounds, will in time lower the numbers in the championship class even more.

Youth, junior, by the time young riders are done with these classes, being not too many get much sponsorship at that level, I would imagine they will know how well they stand,

what incentive if there to be champ, if you can't be in the top few or afford to travel.

I think soon we will see the top five youth, become the top five Junior, and then the top five world champ's and that will be it.

Cost and section severity, in my opinion, are killing the game, why not address those problems rather than adding classes or age limit's.

Dead right RT.

The world series will die unless they make it easy enough for the best 10 riders in ALLcountries which run trials to a reasonable standard ie USA, Eirland, Uk, France, Germany etc for example. If its then too easy for some well tough. They will just have to go round clean to win.

Might then get to a reasonable international entry, perhaps 70 riders or more on the hard route which will help trials survive.

Get the media intrested (Joe Public) and all your problems will be solved, problem is getting the media intrested. Untill someone can think of a way to get more trials on the TV etc, McDonalds, Pepsie, etc an't going to be intrested in putting any money into the sport. :thumbup:

How does money, more public interest and TV solve the problem of only half a dozen riders being capable of tackling WTC sections?

Personally I don't give two ticks for what goes on in WTC but the problems as I see them are that riding techniques and bikes have advanced so far that there are only a few people who are ever going to master the techniques required to tackle those sections with any degree of success. The rules are a joke, they aren't enforced properly, most outdoor sections that I've seen on TV coverage resemble indoor type - man-made, big rocks and rev splat, rev splat over and over again - public are really going to take to that, it's like watching the same section over and over with the exception of a couple of rounds. Poland and Hawkstone where they had something resembling sections.

If it went back to proper no-stop and the rules were enforced correctly, perhaps they could get back towards more natural type sections where the riders actually ride their bikes instead of hopping around like demented frogs. Sections would be less extreme, still very hard as befits a world championship but would at least offer some variety, mistakes would be penalised by losing marks as they wouldn't be able to hop their way out of trouble and more riders could take part. Ban minders - whatever happened to man and machine against the terrain - and leave the riders to sort their own lines out and get through sections without continual outside assistance.

It will never happen of course as that original concept of one no-stop attempt at a section is no longer fashionable and doesn't fit with today's circus - not posey enough - but is the circus ruunning out of performers - and will anyone care in due course

In the 70s, 80s and 90s, WTC enjoyed healthy entries without the need for big name sponsorship and TV so why does it need it now?

So if Sheffield indoor was shown live on BBC one, on a Saturday evening what would happen.

Would'nt riders find it easier to get sponsored, because evenyone would know what trials was.

If you ask most people to sponsor someone today they say (how may race's have you won) :thumbup:

so just after the first broadcast of kickstart Rathmell , Lampkin, Vesty etc all got deals with Pepsi, Mcdonalds and coca cola ????

I dont think it made a great deal of difference in terms of sponsors. TIMP is right its the trials that are the problem not the external coverage.

It doesnt matter who sponsored 99.9% of riders they wouldnt be able to do one section.

quote AS iow; So if Sheffield indoor was shown live on BBC one, on a Saturday evening what would happen.

Would'nt riders find it easier to get sponsored, because evenyone would know what trials was.

If you ask most people to sponsor someone today they say (how may race's have you won) unquote

But you're talking about a different issue now - getting sponsorship

This topic was about manipulating rules to get certain rider(s) into the junior championship (lost on me as I don't follow it) and then evovled into what can be done to get the WTC better supported. All I'm saying is that no amount of sponsorship/money/tv coverage of trials is going to gift someone the ability they need to successfully cope with sections of such an extreme severity found in the WTC which bear little resemblence to the origins of the sport.

Perhaps it's time the FIM started running the WTC again, junk the promoter (WTC round in Guatemala or wherever it is...!!??) cut the costs and get the sport closer to it's roots and allow more riders to participate. Surely the clubs and governing body of each country can organise a world round without the need of promoters.

Edited by Woody