4 Stroke Or 2 Stroke Sherco

ridgrunr

Ok, the GAS GAS is gone. Man I Loved that 321, but it's time to move on and I've been looking at all the makes. I've owned 3 GAS GAS's and they have their pros (pun intended) and cons, but I'm really drawn to the Sherco 290.

That said, 4 strokes seem to be the rage of the future, so I'm wondering whether to get one of the last of the 2 strokes or make the plunge to the thumpers.

I know Montesa has defeated the 4 stroke lag problem on the 4RT with the fuel injection scenario, but I'm not sure I'm ready for that sort of complexity involving something that I can't work on, but I can work on carbs. So I'm intrigued by the 320 4T Sherco since it has a carb. But how does it deal with the four stroke lag problem? Anyone ridden one of the 320's yet that can give me some insight as to whether or not Sherco was able to get it right with the 320 4T? How's it compare to the 290?

I'm not sure I'm ready for that sort of complexity involving something that I can't work on, but I can work on carbs.

With the 4rt you don't need to know how to work on it, as you don't need to work on any of that stuff. That's the best thing about this bike :wacko: It's nothing to be scared of :lol:

dude dont waste your money on the sherco,no matter what you read it does not start reliably.

far better just go with the monty,its the safe opption.

alloy frames look better longer,the bike is well put together.

i lost the equivilent of $5000 in seven trials on my 320,when it was going it was fine,but if it decided not to start you have to pack up and go home.

however i have been riding the 4rt for eight months and touch wood it has been brilliant ,not a hint of trouble

So I'm intrigued by the 320 4T Sherco since it has a carb. But how does it deal with the four stroke lag problem? Anyone ridden one of the 320's yet that can give me some insight as to whether or not Sherco was able to get it right with the 320 4T? How's it compare to the 290?

Speak to Ishy, he's had a few and not had any problems with them. I'm sure he'll sell you one too :wacko:

I appreciate all of your insights. I've never seen the Sherco 4T yet, but we've got a few 4RT Montesa's in the club so I've been studying them too. Not excited about the loudness. I wish it looked as compact and as well finished as the Sherco does. That bulby gas tank along with all of those tubes and the coil hanging out there on the side of the frame remind me of a Harley..."oh yeah we forgot that...well let's just bolt it there" and tell them it's retro. Then there's that muffler. Why does it look like it belongs on a Peterbilt? And they're might proud of that 4RT at $7400 and you don't even get a headlight. I see Beta and Scorpa have 4 strokes out now too, but don't know much about them either. Maybe a good time to buy the last of the 2 strokes before they are gone?

Fortunately I've got a few months before I'll be buying anything, so I'm going to do some serious research before I fork out the cash for anything, but if the 4 strokes don't pan out, I'm leaning towards the 290 2T. I've always wanted to try one of those Shercos, just because of the terrific clutch.

I understand we will see more of the 4T Sherco's in '07.

Lightest and most powerful of the 4T's out there!

If you want a nice "06 2T at a great deal, I have one sitting here that has only been ridden a few times and is in not far from new condition.

It belongs to an old retired guy. PM me! :wacko:

Hey Dixie, you mentioned that hard starting twice, so it must be a problem. That's typical of a lot of 4 stroke dirt bikes, which I imagine is why they have gone to electric start on most of them. How does the thing run once (if ever) you do get it running? Does it have that 4 stroke lag problem right off idle?

It sounds like you gone to a 4RT. No starting or lag problems with the fuel injection?

I heard that they had a different cam and ignition box to fix the hard starting concerns. Fred Willis in Ohio has one and had problems but now his starts fine. I have also seen 29r's over heat due to a wireing short but that also got fixed. These are my only two experiences with the sherco 4t. Both bikes seem to be running well now for over a season.

Lag does seem to be an issue that a lot of people are focusing on. Heat is my concern. th 4 strokes develop tons of heat and will the bike react the same warm than hot?

i am interested in knowing what people think about 4 stroke also.

The first batch of Sherco 3.2's to hit the UK and some early demo that RYP got over here, were real pigs to start, later bikes seemed a lot better to start, and after fitting the upgrade kit, they start well.

I can see why you are p****d Dixi, if you lost five grand, but your experience isn't that of every 3.2 owner, you say it can't be started reliably, I say it can.

The first batch of Sherco 3.2's to hit the UK and some early demo that RYP got over here, were real pigs to start, later bikes seemed a lot better to start, and after fitting the upgrade kit, they start well.

I can see why you are p****d Dixi, if you lost five grand, but your experience isn't that of every 3.2 owner, you say it can't be started reliably, I say it can.

I guess that could be a good argument for being wary of the first year out for anything. I remember the first 280 Pro and it's clutch problems. All had teething problems that were corrected in later models.

One reason I am looking at the Sherco over the 4RT is that I am not a fan of Aluminum frames. I've done a lot of welding and when it comes to frames, I like steel.

There are some videos floating around of the Beta 4 stroke vrs a 4RT that don't show much about the difference in the machines except that the Beta is quieter.

Just looking at it, the 2007 4T looks like it's really well thought out. If they were able to keep that terrific Sherco clutch and have gotten it to start and runs reliably I think they'd have a winner.

Here's an interesting video of the Sherco 4T. Seems like it works pretty neat here. Detail is pretty good, it's a big file, 20 megs.

http://www.shercovictoria.com.au/sherco/pdfs/cabes1.wmv

Edited by Ridgrunr

It does have the same clutch and feel as the two stroke, the power is very strong, but can be worked off the trottle at low RPM, on the loop you can pull fourth on anything and just work the trottle a blast to ride on the trail as you mention no need to shift.

I rode the Mont, in the SSDT, that also is a blast on the trail, it will pull taller gears, wet climbs on the moor in Scotland, were easy on the fourstroke, when some had come to a spinning halt, it just kept on pulling, the more it lugged down, the better it gripped.

The Beta has only it's looks to go on at the moment, not many have thrown a leg over it, I was told by someone who did give it a test ride that it was a wonderfull bike to ride, has you can see on the forums, you have to be 100% spot on because people who have not even ridden the bike, can give a detailed report on why they think it will be no good, even when they have no clue.

The 3.2 being hard to start, cost Sherco!! and I would think it will be hard for them to get back the ground they lost, Beta are playing it close to make sure they don't fall into the same hole, too many keen to shout foul! sad thing is, they might end up with the brand they were shouting foul about one day, and wonder why the resale value of thier old bike is S1-1ite, what goes around comes around.

Edited by rtclick

Best bet would be to try to score a ride on one of the updated 320's, with the hot start kit fitted and cam and coil changed.

If it starts for you reliably then you can believe less of what the non 320 owners say.

They are a lot of fun to ride ..might even make the 5moh more manageable if thats possible, but no one will argue they are the only machine to have on a cold day!

:guinness:

I must agree it is a fun bike to ride! Feels like a real bike should!

The last one I rode(which may have gone to Ishy) was really good even before the start kit thing.

I really could not get it to spit at me, no matter how I tried on my short ride, but you also have to keep in mind what you are riding.

Suck it up when you open the throttle wide! Rocket ! :guinness:

i have said all along the sherco motor when it runs is fantastic

more power and more of a fourstroke feel,i won a few trials on mine in the wet,but and it is a real big but it kept letting me down.

i had mine for just under a year and did all the mod s and fitted the factory kit,they all improved the starting,it was never an issue from cold,only when hot and verry occasionally,

for trail riding or plaing it would be a wonderfull bike,but when you are on the last lap of a five hour trial in the bottom of a ditch and it decided to play silly buggers,well suffice to say i will never own a sherco again.

like you say r click you never had problems,i think you may be holding back from brand loyalty,if there was no problem why did the factory spend a fortune fixing it???? in the uk there where no 06 and now no 07 4t s

again this is my experience,and the few people i know,who owned 4t s with the exeption of re500,he has done wonders with his but it is rummored he has rebuilt the engine seven times and changed the carb and whole ignition system

big bucks..

all i want is a bike to ride trials on not develope

Edited by Dixie