World Contenders

alan bechard

I was thinking recently about world contention, and thinking about similar sports etc. and what it took too get there.

I drew the parrallel in my mind of gymnastics and Ice skating.

I do not know much at all about those sports, but some thoughts came to mind.

The World champions in those sports start training at a very young age. Often times moving to a different location to be closer to a world level coach, and to be around a peer group of similar minded individuals.

I believe that many times, these kids are in effect sent to almost a boarding school type atmosphere where the principal focus is on the sport, school work and social life (if any) is stuffed into the blank spaces between practice and training.

Again, I am not fully knowledgable, but I believe that the vast majority of the expense is borne by the family and freinds, not by any outside type of sponsorship.

There is relatively little financial gain to be had for those folks, I doubt the top gymnast in the world is making what some mid level football or basketball players make.

So my thought was that those who were shooting for a world champ, should consider banding together, and establishing this type and level of camp. I think if you had 10 kids, driving each other forward, training full time, with a professional level coach, without outside diversions it would be interesting to see where it went.

Throw some freestyle BMX in there with some flatland and some vert and I bet the riding levels would be phenomonal.

Well, my kids would not be there, but it is an interesting thought, and something that is happening right at this moment in other sporting disciplines, and is considered the "norm". Somehow, I never see the Trials crowd going that direction though. :D

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, we've been batting around this "why no US world contenders" for ever, and no one seems willing to admit the reason why the sport in the U.S. doesn't gravitate that way.

I may have part of the reason for you...but you aren't going to like it. The truth is that the majority of the trials riders in the U.S., who actually compete in local trials, don't really care much what's happening in the sport beyond the club they ride with. Prime example...look at standardized classes and rules. I've fought that battle for fifteen years. Doesn't happen...and won't. And those folks who ride trials bikes for fun, or trail riding, who don't compete with a local club, don't care...at all.

Basically it boils down to the fact that in the U.S. trials is a local participant sport. It's not a spectator sport and it's not done outside of the club they are affiliated with. Without gigantic numbers of spectators there will never be enough money involved to make it worthwhile to pursue. We don't have indoor trials such as Sheffield where folks can sit in a warm area and watch the world's best do their thing. That's what makes NASCAR such a draw. People can sit in one spot and see the entire race. People are basically lazy. If they can't sit in their seat with a hot dog and a beer, along with ten thousand other screaming fans, what's the point?

The vastness of the country is part of the problem. To contend the National circuit, a rider would have to drive twenty thousand miles or more on his own dime. Very few riders are going to do that, and not for long. The few that do are the "hard core" enthusiasts, but if you'll notice, they are usually the same group year after year and that group is dwindling. Ten years ago we had a dozen riders in our club who rode some of the nationals, and a gal who even rode world events. None do today. Most of those riders who did don't even ride locally any more.

You mentioned gymnastics and ice skating. Both are venues where a spectator can sit in a nice seat, indoors and watch the entire competition. Most all high schools and all colleges have gymnastics programs. Again, spectators can sit in relative comfort and enjoy the event. You'll never see that at Trials.

I have chased world riders all over Donner, and National riders all over Lucerne Valley, Temecula and Flagstaff, but I only did it a few times, when I was younger. At 52 it's just too much damn work. Then when you do traipse all over the country side from section to section, the sections are so spread out that you often miss most of the really spectacular rides. Then there's the the two to three DAY drive, r more, just to get to the event and that much back. Heck it's a three to four hour one way drive for me to get to one of our local club meets, then I get to drive it again, alone, in the dark to get back home.

I don't know about the other U.S. clubs, but in our club there is almost no interest, for what is happening in either the Nationals or the World scene. Nobody knows who is #1, #2 or who is riding what this year. Fact of the matter is, they pretty much don't care. When it come to trials here, riders want to show up, ride the meet and get home in time to watch the JAZZ play on TV. Yes the guys who ride locally love the sport, but mostly because they are motorcycle nuts and trials is a sport they can do on a motorcycle, not get killed...in most cases (but that's another thread)...and get up and go to work on Monday.

So to most of the trials community in the U.S., Trials is a way to spend a day, just like if they were going out to spend a day fishing or pheasant hunting, and most of them could care less who's fishing or hunting in New England much less England.

Sorry this sounds so negative. I told you that you wouldn't like it, but truth is sometimes like that...sorry.

:agree: Mostly.

After youth nationals there is a camp for up and comers. Maybe more effort is needed to increase the value to the participants.

I also agree that the average club rider doesn't care who is national or world spud. This weekend was another perfect example of an excellent club event by stra at the TTC. Which is why most of us ride. Get together with some fellow riders and try to outdo them and ourselves. Anyone with championship hopes can also ride to keep in tune. More local events like this should do the trick.

TCC, snooooooooze! I ride local trials too but geeeeeeeeez, this week in Califorina was a major event, even better than going to a world round. How often do you get to train and be schooled by the world champ?

The TCC trial was like a game of golf or tennis played at any local club, it was grand for those playing but nothing noteworthy to the sports world. Those types of matches are played everyday at clubs throughout the world in golf, tennis or trials. Those types of games are as normal as white bread, but to have the World Champ around, wow, now that's cool and something that dosn't happen everyday. Now that's news!

Where was the Trials world focused this week? On Califorina, with the new 125cc World Champ in the country. Let me say for all those that didn't attend, you lost out boys! The schools were amazing, plus the chance to see Cody and Patrick face off with Sam and Alexz was simply the best. They drew crouds, inspired young minds and brought a lot of cheer and progress to the US Sport.

Of course the local trial is the foundation of sport, like club level football, tennis, hockey, golf is to those sports but it's the Tiger Woods and the Alexz Wiggs of the world that inspire. Only with the talent, passion and inspriation of Youngsters like Tiger Woods and Alexz Wigg around can any sport hope to progress.

Yes the TCC youth national training camps are good but give me more weeks with the World Champ like Lewisport just brought to USA trials. Remember I put my money down both weekends and spent more of my hard earned cash than anybody else did to attend the schools. Yes the TCC Youth training camp are a great idea but how often do you get to ride with the World Champ? No comparison in my view.

Those who didn't bother to attend to see and learn from Alexz and Sam, Hey, you guys missed out! Maybe next time?

Edited by Mich Lin

Lane, why do you always slag off someone else's hard work to try and make your point? :D

Maybe the Lewisport events were better than the TTC but there was no need to rip those boys a new ******** just so you could practice your 'brown nose' technique...

.... but there was no need to rip those boys a new ******** just so you could practice your 'brown nose' technique...

Where the hell did you get that phrase from ! :D

In relation to TTC, I reckon if it were in the UK, it would be amongst the best trialing terrain anywhere in the country and maybe its just worth going for the liberty to ride it.!

Lane, You're right! When I went to TTC summer youth camp I did get screwed! The best trainer I got was a crusty old has been......what was his name....oh yeah Lane Livvet or something like that. :xmas:

Well since I woke up tired that morning I decided not to fly to the left coast to ride on a bunch of dusty rocks. It's Ok for old people, for safety's sake. I would like to see alex ride again, but wait I already watched him ride in the best trials arena in the states once this year. But I did have fun this weekend riding the WTC sections. Did you get to ride any lane? I didn't think so, But when you drag your ass back here for a dull summer camp maybe you could teach me a new trick or two. Again. :)

And if you were Brown Nosing, you're not very good at it!

And not teethy enough to rip a new ********.

Maybe next time.

Next year we'll buy the boy's more bottle rockets! The armegeddon pack!

Peace, Love and veggies!

Please reread my posts, I stated very clearly that club sports are the foundation of everything! Without duffer golfers Nike wouldn't have anybody to sell clubs and balls too, neither would they have the money to develope new technology! The same is true with hockey, football or just about any sport including trials. Local clubmen are the foundation of everything! But how often do you get to ride with Alexz Wigg or play golf with Tiger Woods? That was my point!

At the world rounds and I've attended a few in my day, sure you get to watch. But these two weekends we had the oppertunity to ride with and ask Sam and Alexz questions, get imput and generally hang around with these two great guys. Along with watching them ride like you would at a world round!

I think that's where some people miss the boat, they think it's an either/ or situation! That Our sport must be all or nothing, all sportsmen or all Pros, which is not true in any other sport, so why do people think that has to be the standard in trials?

I love clubmen events perhaps more than anybody yet when something speical comes along like these two weekends with the World Champ! I'm not going to back down from stating that this was a VERY UNIQUE oppertunity.

A lot of people have been PooPooing the world's top riders and world championship efforts here on this board! Boldly stating that they could care less about them! They must remember though that the fantastic motorcycles that they enjoy are developed by the tireless teams that contest the world championship. If it was not for these dedicated people the clubmen would be riding motorcycles that are not nearly so good or as much fun to ride.

So be honest! We clubmen owe a huge debt to the dedicated people who contest the world and national championships!

Now Paul, I'm really sorry you got stuck with me at the training camp. They had to drege the bottom of the gene pool to find me but hey I work cheaper than most of the crew so I got the gig. Next year I'll be back with a pay raise, I hear the minimum wage is going to be raised by the new congress. YeeHaa!

Next time we will work on all the Zips and Zaps I learned from Wiggy and Sam! Gotta share the love!

I can/t believe I am about to do this, this must be a sign of the Apocolypse. I actually agree with one of Lane's statements.

Mich Lin Posted Today, 07:50 PM

this was a VERY UNIQUE oppertunity.

But remember that is all I agree with all the rest of his statements I think are totally, well I am not allowed to type that here.

I think I would have truly enjoyed and benfited from riding with and learning from the fine young gentlemen, Sam, Alexz, Cody, and Patrick. It don't matter to me what country they are from just that I would have learned alot.

As for a world contender from the US, my opinion is that it would have to be someone that is totally focused on trials, not any other aspect of life like a secondary education that would get in the way of training time. This person would also have to be willing to risk all financially and physically for it to happen. Do we have someone in the US that is willing to this? I don't know.