4rt Doesn

carl ekblom

Hello

I bought a 4RT about a month ago and it have run wonderful until last monday when after a gentle wash it refuses to start.

I have in order:

-Replaced the spark plug with a new one. Yes there are bright sparks.

-Measured the ignition coil resistance (pg 6-3 in manual OK).

-Measured the ignition pulse generator resistance (pg 6-4 OK).

-Measured the PGM-FI system connector (pg 6-5 OK).

-Connected the PGM-FI warning unit (pg 6-6).

When I put the power switch on and run the check I first got a short blink then after about 2 seconds a long blink followed by two short blinks then again after a few seconds a long blink followed by two short blinks.

Looking at pg 6-7 it is obvious that I got a code 12 which says: "Loose or poor contact on injector connector" or "open or short circuit in injector wire" or "faulty injector".

I am not shure what the first short blink means, perhaps it is a code 1 (symptoms "poor idle) but it is not repeated and the problem is that the engine doesn

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ferrett Flasher will probably answer this one properly, but the reason it will not start is probably because the throttle is open some way. The best check I have found is to adjust the throttle cable so that there is some slack, make absolutely sure, the throttle butterfly is not open, then kick it over gently. There is NO history of 4RTs not starting, the chances of it being a electrical problem is remote, so before you start replacing injectors, go back to basics. Remember, no throttle. Let us know what happens.

O.K. this may sound stupid but, at the last trial my bike wouldn't start after I walked a section :blink: . After many kicks I talked to another 4rt owner and he said to put the throttle wide open and then let it go, then the next time you kick it hold the throttle open just ever so slightly. I didn't think it would work but it started first try :wacko: He said it reset the computer or somthing, Mine has been fine since :icon_rendeer: Just a thought.

Just reading through the above and myself and a friend have a similar problem with Repsol 07 models. The starting of the two bikes are a big problem after 1 1/2 laps of a normal trial - big problem to start. The strange thing is we have tried both std and ptb bodies with no change in the result ! We have also tried the idle sitution as well - no better. I have run my bike for 45 mins on idle stopped it and re-started it at home no problem. Have also run it completely out of fuel at home and re-started it no problem !!

The problem arises only after some competition use. We have also tried the diagnostics test which has no faults along with new spark plugs !!

Anyone got any ideas ??

As far as I know the best starting procedure is that to put the piston at TDC compression stroke and then with a long slow kick and no throttle at all try to start the engine, and I agree, it is more difficult to start the engine when it is hot.

However, no starting problem for me during the last week <_< .

Carl

Wonder if the air filter is blocking up in some way??? The only time I have had trouble starting mine was after cleaning and re-oiling the air filter after the 1st ride out/run in. With the air filter out the bike started and ran fine. As soon as I dropped it in with the flame guard the bike stopped and wouldn

Hi, regards the air filter I've already got the Jitsie fitted to mine as I run one on last years bike - seems to let them rev more ??!!

Run the flame guard though as I know of another guy who caught the air filter on fire on a sherco when he removed the flame guard !!!!

Sounds like the tools will be with me at the next trial - not really sure this is the true problem though ??

Any Ideas ??