Sherco Air Box

I'm just tired of reading the same rubbish every time anyone posts anything about their bike, regardless of make, anyone trying to solve a problem gets met with "well if you had bought the brand I ride you wouldn't have these problems.

The truth is!! since the seventies only once have I failed to complete an event because of a mechanical failure, and I must of ridden about every popular brand at some time.

Calling any brand crap or whatever doesn't do trials any-good, more likely it will scare people away from trials than make them go buy bike.

Four of us are riding the Scottish together in a few weeks time, all of us are on different brands, what a foolish person I would be if I judged them lads on what bike they rode rather than their personality.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Slight change of subject...Marky G...I'm eagerly awaiting some piccies of your alterations to the Scorpa 125....are they not finished yet??....if they are..then stop teasing us,,,I'm sure I'm not the only one waiting to see that lovely new fuel tank etc. :huh:

Hi Stu :wacko:

Bike should be ready this weekend for collection, the Stainless pipe proved to be too expensive in the end...so I've gone for chrome instead.

Will post pics when done :o

Ishy, thanks for the post, I used to wash my bike and then immediately start it up until David Chaves told me not to. I removed the fender and was amazed at the amount of water under it. I have never gotten water in the air box while riding but there is something about using a hose that allows water to get under the fender. I seem to get more water in there using the garden hose. The pressure washer doesn't get as much water under the fender.

I don't like taking the airbox out so I remove the fender before I wash the bike and put a piece of duct tape over the air inlet, I also put a shop towel over that, I then reinstall the fender and wash the bike. Water does not get into the airbox.

I think that if Marky G will agree the only time he got water in his airbox was during the washing process.

NEVER START THE BIKE IMMEDIATELY AFTER WASHING WITHOUT MAKING SURE THERE IS NO WATER IN THE AIRBOX.

Wayne

well on betas it is water enters the airbox lid goes through filter sit in the bottom of the airbox wich is 2 inches from where the air goes into the carb so when you let it out and cgange the filter it is fine

• 6 months later...

The problem is not neccessarily the water, as small amounts of water will pass through the engine with no problem, it is the dirt and grit that washes through the filter WITH the water. As it is in a contained area it can sit for long periods of time without evaporating as well.

It only takes a few sand particles to bind the throttle slide!

This usually happens when starting/ riding the bike after washing just about the time you hit third gear and roll the throttle on jostleing around the muck that has accumulated in the bottom of the box.

The throttle slide will then stick without warning at 1/2 or better opening!

It will really get your attention as you are burning up those tiny brakes trying to stop that moving freight train enough to remove one hand from the bars and hit the kill button!

I have done some testing using Ishy's method and it seems to work well, but as with anything else it is not foolproof. Water hoses and pressure washing may still allow small amounts to get in, so checking it after washing is still cheap insurance, or just pull it apart before washing.

In addition to Ishy's mods, I have installed plastic screen mesh to the filter retainer. This keeps the big chunks of garbage out of the filter and actually seems to help divert some of the water droplets as well.

As the filter is now only catching the dirt for which it was designed instead of twigs, leaves and grass, it reduces the neccessity to wash the element and prolongs its life.

Most hardware stores will give you enough scrap household screen mesh (black of course) to do several bikes. Rough up the top surface of the retainer and cut a piece to fit and glue it on. I used 3M black weatherstrip adhesive, a thin covering is all it takes, but other products may work.

At first glance it looks like it may be restrictive to the air inlet, but I can tell no difference in performance.

Cheers :o