Silent Trials Riders ......

daggs888

I see your point on the educational side of things. I read a quote from a lecturer at Oxford University I think, it said " Do spelling and grammar really matter? Yes, it says something about you "I am educated, take me seriously!"

I never talk in text talk unless it is a text or if I'm using IM!

It does really annoy when people write emails to me and they are not in good English or set out correctly! I am only a teenager so I will probably have it ripped out of me for saying that!

Thanks for the replys just wanted to know what the crack was with everyones view on it!

cheers,

Sean

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a young relative who uses Bebo to communicate with her friends and others :banana2: the txt talk which is used on there is total garbage.

It must take longer to type than plain english and far longer to read.

But hey..... it's Kool! Within that 'very limited' peer group.

I know it's bad but I always txt talk with my mates! When you have done it for a while though it becomes so easy and quick to do! But as Andy said it is very lazy! lol However if I am speaking to an adult I will always use proper English and try my best with the grammar side of things!

Why is texting language annoying?

Because it is another example of the errosion of standards. Why should it become acceptable to spell things incorrectly just because it is quicker and people can't be bothered?

We already have PlayStation generation who never or hardly ever read books and think that being a "celebrity" is the be all and end all in life.

The same generation who think exercise is walking from their car into MacDonalds.

Not so long ago, another generation fought to maintain the standards that this country was once proud of.

Call me old fashioned if you like, to me that would be a compliment.

Why is texting language annoying?

Because it is another example of the errosion of standards. Why should it become acceptable to spell things incorrectly just because it is quicker and people can't be bothered?

We already have PlayStation generation who never or hardly ever read books and think that being a "celebrity" is the be all and end all in life.

The same generation who think exercise is walking from their car into MacDonalds.

Not so long ago, another generation fought to maintain the standards that this country was once proud of.

Call me old fashioned if you like, to me that would be a compliment.

I agree with most of the points you make. However, the generation of people who fought to maintain standards also fought to give people freedom of speech and expression.

I do find txt talk annoying and difficult to understand, but if this is what people wish to use within their own circles of friends then I see nothing wrong with that. Providing, like seandellear says, people use it in an appropriate manner and not to communicate in a 'non' txt talk environment.

Well pointed out Essex Rider. Anyone got an A1M1 Abrams tank I could borrow? I would like to drive through a few MacDonalds. Straight through.

Any teachers out there finding "text spelling" appearing in normal school work?

Well pointed out Essex Rider. Anyone got an A1M1 Abrams tank I could borrow? I would like to drive through a few MacDonalds. Straight through.

Going completely off topic, here for a moment. I was teaching an apprentice mechanic a few years ago on a vehicle when a simple maths problem arose.

He was immediately heading for a calculator, I stopped him and said we could do it on a bit of cardboard from the bin using a pencil. He looked puzzled, as I worked out the calculation using long division.

He insisted on going for the calcualtor which confirmed my answer but looked even more confused at my working out, he then said 'I've never seen that before. Did you just make that up?'

The suprising thing was that the youngster had recently come to us from sixth form college where he had gained an A level ....... In maths!

The youth of today, ehh! :banana2:

Sorry to steer this thread back on to its subject, but I have got a spare TC sticker that I will put on our club banner at the Malvern show. Never know it may bring in a few punters. Perhaps put them on the table at signing in time at trials etc, maybe some allready do it ?????? :banana2:

I have been an avid browser of this site for ages now and have found in the main that any query I have has already been covered - so have been content to be 'silent' - and observe.

Benefited from the knowledge of others regarding the leaky carb on Betas and used the info available through this forum to do the modification to prevent it happening.

Also found the link to those smart 'cast' footrests and got a set of them as well.

What else to say - the best trials site bar none.

For those who are frequent posters - more power to you.

Me? I've now broken my posting duck and hope I don't get into the habit.

P.S. Completely agree with the attitude to text talk - I absolutely hate it, so it's refreshing to see that it has no place on this forum.

Keep up the good work :banana2:

P.S. Completely agree with the attitude to text talk - I absolutely hate it, so it's refreshing to see that it has no place on this forum.

Keep up the good work :banana2:

Welcome to the TC forum boards Repsolypf, like the attitude.

My 13yo daughter asked why I was so slow writing texts, took her a while to understand what I meant by the phrase "I only write in coherent sentences". :D

Im not a teacher but i'm finding i get a few job application forms returned to me with text talk in them.

I'll have to share this one, on a recent application form the answer to the question:

Where did you hear about this vacancy?

The hopefull candidate answered:

"I found the form on a table at Accident &Emergancy"

Scott.

Im not a teacher but i'm finding i get a few job application forms returned to me with text talk in them.

I'll have to share this one, on a recent application form the answer to the question:

Where did you hear about this vacancy?

The hopefull candidate answered:

"I found the form on a table at Accident &Emergancy"

Scott.

Well, a :banana2: t least they told you the truth!

Edited by seandellear

There is one very good reason for writing in English, correctly spelt. If they can read, everybody can understand it.

And my column, which appears tomorrow, may not always be exactly correct, but you'll always understand it - which is more than I can say about some of the communications that appear here.