Bantam Trials Project

neoman23

A lot depends on where you're riding - some clubs let you use late model British front ends, some allow alloy yokes, others insist on period (looking) forks and yokes. Your Bantam hubs will be fine, just get alloy rims laced on, but that does cost. You may find ready built wheels on ebay, but they don't go that cheaply either. The stock D7 swingarm isn't quite wide enough to take a 400X18 rear tyre though, it will need widening for clearance (it's becoming a can of worms already ain't it...?). Check eligibility with your local clubs re altering the frame tubes under the engine as well. NJB shocks are economic and effective - longer ones will give you more ground clearance, and tuck the fork angle in a bit more for better steering. Good luck :-)

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the comments.

Do you happen to know if a Triumph Cub swing arm with fit on a Bantam? For AHRMA I can use pretty much anything that is 'period correct' (up to 74). I shouldn't have any problems with dampened forks and a 21" front wheel. Do you have any idea how much more clearance I will on a D7 swingarm?

Oh well " it wouldn't be any fun if it was easy"

Alan

Dunno about a Cub arm, sorry, but I'm sure someone on here will know. The clearance you need isn't much, most people do a mod involving cutting the arm and stepping it out, I've got away with it in the past by just cutting a piece out the inside of the right-hand arm, where it tapers in and tyre would catch, and plating it up, then adding a curved plate along the outside to retain the strength - not particularly elegant but cheap and cheerful, it works fine on my Bantam framed Sunbeam. And yeh, overcoming the hurdles is definitely part of the fun. :-)

Thanks for all the help so far guys, and yep it opens up a can of worms, but I was mad enought o take it on in the first place..

HOWEVER, the plot thickens. On closer inspection, in fact on trying to test fit the D7 engine into the frame, I have found that either it has been altered, or is not a D7. The front engine mount appears to be for a tiger cub. The giveaway is the T20B then four numbers stamped on the mount. I have not been able to find a frame number in the usual place on the frame either. And the swing arm has a part number stamped on it that does not fit with a bantam. Any ideas anyone. WHY DID I START THIS ANYWAY ????

A Bantam framed Sunbeam, any pics, sounds interesting. :thumbup:

I don't know how to post pics on here, but if you use this link:

http://www.odgie.com/_mgxroot/page_10783.html

it should get you to the 'dirt bikes' page on me website, there's some shots of it on there. Failing that, try www.odgie.com, click on 'everything else' then click on 'me in the dirt' to get to the same page. Cheers.

Thanks for all the help so far guys, and yep it opens up a can of worms, but I was mad enought o take it on in the first place..

HOWEVER, the plot thickens. On closer inspection, in fact on trying to test fit the D7 engine into the frame, I have found that either it has been altered, or is not a D7. The front engine mount appears to be for a tiger cub. The giveaway is the T20B then four numbers stamped on the mount. I have not been able to find a frame number in the usual place on the frame either. And the swing arm has a part number stamped on it that does not fit with a bantam. Any ideas anyone. WHY DID I START THIS ANYWAY ????

Aha, why indeed...? But just think of the buzz when you've eventually solved ALL the problems - gotta be bettere than just buying a sorted bike! Sounds like you got a Bantam/Cub frame (a factory hybrid), although I'd happily stand corrected, cos my knowledge of Cubs is minimal. Dunno if that means your swingarm will be fine for a 400x18 or not, but fitting the D7 motor shouldn't involve more than knocking up some new mounts (or are you now looking for a Cub engine instead - how thick is this plot getting...?).

A Bantam framed Sunbeam, any pics, sounds interesting. :thumbup:

I don't know how to post pics on here, but if you use this link:

http://www.odgie.com/_mgxroot/page_10783.html

it should get you to the 'dirt bikes' page on me website, there's some shots of it on there. Failing that, try www.odgie.com, click on 'everything else' then click on 'me in the dirt' to get to the same page. Cheers.

Great site Odgie, well worth a look, and That 'Beam cant be too bad- http://www.yorksclassictrials.co.uk/result...arm26-12-06.xls

Hi TM, Yeh, it's taken a while but I got it summat like these days. So now it's just me inconsistency that drags it down, y'know, clean one then next one me head's away with the fairies... :-)

What you need is a 1970 D14 engine, with a 1990s yam or fantic alloy barrel (chrome bore) machined to look like a bantam one, and matching one-ring piston. Decent mikuni carb (1990s) suitably hidden, 2001 Honda forks suitably modded to look

What you need is a 1970 D14 engine, with a 1990s yam or fantic alloy barrel (chrome bore) machined to look like a bantam one, and matching one-ring piston. Decent mikuni carb (1990s) suitably hidden, 2001 Honda forks suitably modded to look

Hi TM, Yeh, it's taken a while but I got it summat like these days. So now it's just me inconsistency that drags it down, y'know, clean one then next one me head's away with the fairies... :-)

Hi odgie

Quality website mate - I laughed and laughed at some of the yarns and pics of broken motors!! :thumbup:

Then I realised, I have some video footage of you riding the C11 in the 2000 Pre-65 Scottish complete with running commentary. :thumbup:

Let me know if your interested and I could 'digitise' it and mail it to you for inclusion on your site.

Cheers UB :angry: