What Is Trials

jack_h

hey all

starting to get a bit annoyed with the amount of posts saying how major championship sections consist of to many big steps. Hearing these have made me think - what is trials.

It is all about crossing the most difficuilt terrain and keeping utmost control over the motorcycle. Doesn't big steps fit under one of them category's. Trying to make less of them would remove something from the sport.

Another point is why have none stop rules. Isn't balancing the most important part of trials? to be able to balance on a bike is a key factor though riders are not aloud to do so in a section. How about setting an easyly achieved time limit in each section.

just saying my thoughts on the matter

jack

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopping and balancing and moving sideways is a skill in it's self but so is the ability to pick a line and stay on it. Surely the best rider is the one that picks a line through the section, preferably one with choices of lines, not the rider that just chooses each of the easiest elements and hops between them.

You can stop and balance in my sections for as long as you like - I love giving "ones" for stops!

all im trying to say is hopping, balancing and other techniques are all part of the sport - why try to limit them?

I'm sorry to say that argument is fundamentaly flawed. If hopping etc is part of the sport, then it stands to reason that if hopping etc is against the rules, then it's not part of the sport.

all im trying to say is hopping, balancing and other techniques are all part of the sport - why try to limit them?

I'm sorry to say that argument is fundamentaly flawed. If hopping etc is part of the sport, then it stands to reason that if hopping etc is against the rules, then it's not part of the sport.

i've not heard this :stoned: , you might not be able to stop but that is why when you flick etc you keep moving :D .

e.g. you flick the whole bike to turn it or when you endo you keep the front wheel moving.

Hopping and balancing and moving sideways is a skill in it's self but so is the ability to pick a line and stay on it. Surely the best rider is the one that picks a line through the section, preferably one with choices of lines, not the rider that just chooses each of the easiest elements and hops between them.

You can stop and balance in my sections for as long as you like - I love giving "ones" for stops!

I'll jump in Jack's corner.

Surely the best rider picks the line with the least amount of effort and difficulty. If that means moving sideways by hopping to link lines together, so be it.

This ain't ice dancing. We don't have to ride the same line or rider it the same way. It is about ability to overcome obstacles without making mistakes (dabs), not style or mandatory moves.

I come from a bicycle trials background. I can't imagine how far back the sport would be now if comps didn't allow hopping and balancing. These sports are about progression in ability as well as technique. Just when I think they can't gap further or jump higher, someone come up with a new way to do it.

Moto should be the same in my eyes I take pride in my ability to roll, stop and balance when ever and where ever I need to. And if I can reposition the bike by hopping, then I am just that much better.

This just seems like a lame rule to me and stuck in the mud mentality, but then again I'm a freeking noob.

Edited by Chader

Just because it was done one way, doesn't mean you can't come up with new ways.

All riding skills are just like tools to me. A rider should be free to choose any and all they want to complete a section. There is no mandatory component to how we have to ride a section.

Enter at the start gate, stay between the tape, and exit the finish gate. Just penalize for MISTAKES like dabs and such. A point for being able to stop and balance is crazy to me.

Edited by Chader

Just because it was done one way, doesn't mean you can't come up with new ways.

All riding skills are just like tools to me. A rider should be free to choose any and all they want to complete a section. There is no mandatory component to how we have to ride a section.

Enter at the start gate, stay between the tape, and exit the finish gate. Just penalize for MISTAKES like dabs and such. A point for being able to stop and balance is crazy to me.

Now you've just said the same as Jack, which was the issue I was pointing out.

If the rules say a dab is a mistake (your words) then it follows that.... if the rules state it, then a stop, or a bounce, or anything else stated in the rules, is also a mistake.

Out sport is governed by a set of rules, it isn't free-style no matter how much you think it should be.

I know about the rules and that it is considered a mistake in your current rules. I know this isn't a freestyle sport and there are no considerations for style. Re-read both of my posts and you can see I clearly stated these points.

MY MAJOR POINT IS THAT I THINK A DAB POINT FOR STOPING IS A BAD RULE!!!

Is that clear enough? Believe it or not, rules can be changed when needed or desired.

They aren't carved in stone tablets that were given from above.

Lucky for me, we are not bound by that lame rule where I ride. They saw the need for a change to fit new abilities and adjusted their thinking and the rules to match.

Progression of two types: first in rider ability to handle a bike, second in rules to meet those new abilities.

I was just making a case for you to consider why the rule may be bad. Whether your groups choose to change or not is not a problem for me.

Edited by Chader

I agree with scorpa3 entirely.

Surely a rider that can ride the section without the necessity to stop to regain balance or composure/confidence before attempting a step or climb etc. has performed better than the rider that needs to stop. Therefore the penalty for stopping is correct.

Do your hopping front and rear by all means but maintain forward motion at the same time.

TSR22a is the best and fairest set of rules we have ever had if they are observed correctly!

This is a topic that comes up regularly, and no one in the past 30 years has come up with the magical answer, good subject for Rappers to address in one of his columns.

We always have a good argument for the rules and type of riding style that we prefer best, and never look at the big picture, how it affect trials overall, so long has they do what I want, who cares.

Truth is no matter what the rules are, the man setting the sections, can do so in a way that accommodates the hopper or the more traditional rider, just by making the section where one isn't forced into having to hop or trick ride to make a corner or get set up for an obstacle.

Very few master trick riding properly, those that do are riding the championship events, makes me chuckle to see the would be hopper flick the back end over, dab! put foot back on peg, hop front end over, dab! put foot back on peg, wobble, dab! put foot back on peg, then set off, when all could be done from a well placed dab, or just ride the bugger round the corner.

It's only a game tha nos :D