Number Plate

chrisl

Hi,

Looking to get a Beta road legal. It's already reg'd, I've got a decent insurance quote too.

However, in relation to the number plate - is there a legal minimum requirement on the size?

Is this enforced by the law or is there an exemption for 'competition' bikes used on the road?

I've seen the YOU HAVE USED WORDS OR A PHRASE WHICH ARE NOT PERMITTED ON THIS WEBSITE. PLEASE DELETE YOUR POST/TOPIC. DO NOT TRY TO CIRCUMVENT THE FILTERS IN PLACE ON THIS WEBSITE site where the plate sits below the rear mudguard, (i think this is plastic - but

would it have to be made of metal and reflective to be legal?)

Could I get away with yellow plastic vinyl stuck on the mudguard (about 11cm high and an

average of 9cm wide) with the registration letters just stuck on

or

would it have to be made of metal and securely attached to the mudguard.

or

am I just being to fussy and get away with anything in reality as long as I've got insurance, Mot, and tax?

Would anyone know where I could find out the legal status - or is a trip to the police station the only way to find out for sure? (don't like the sound of that mind!)

To be totally legal you would need a full size plate but i've been stopped before with a small plate on and when the policeman realised it would be totally useless to put a full size plate on it would last about 10 mins if that !.... he was fine about it and just let me ride on telling me to make sure i used my hand signals when turning, stopping ect ...... on another occasion, I had a police car behind me and they didnt even bother to stop me.

I think if you were to be fined for using a small plate it would be from a real stick-in-the-mud type copper, i recon 99% of the time you will be fine once the policeman realises you a not a yobbo.

DAGGS888

anything other than the spec as per scorpa3's link is 3 points and 60 quid strictly speaking.

the YOU HAVE USED WORDS OR A PHRASE WHICH ARE NOT PERMITTED ON THIS WEBSITE. PLEASE DELETE YOUR POST/TOPIC. DO NOT TRY TO CIRCUMVENT THE FILTERS IN PLACE ON THIS WEBSITE plate has to be the best compromise for trials but remember strictly its illegal.

for the MOT you dont need a number plate at all.

Edited by totalshell

the number plate is not part of the mot test

I would double check on that if i were you. Though technically the number plate is not a part of the test you may find the tester will refuse a pass without a legal plate, that includes correct size letters and spacing, check with your tester. Just ask him before you go. I regularly have to change the plates, and can over, on my road bikes before the MoT then change them back again when i get home.

Funny things MoT tests. With some things if it's fitted then it must be legal if it's not fitted then it dont have to be.

Just ask the tester to be sure. You can always fit a legal one just for the test then swap it for a practical one after.

Different testers seem to interpret the law differently. Brakes are another one.

I have just had my 315 tested for the first time,before hand I nipped into the test centre to talk over a few concerns.The main issue that the tester brought up was that my number palte was not visible from the rear,it was basically a trimmed full size plate velcroed onto the top of the rear fender. He was happy enough with a YOU HAVE USED WORDS OR A PHRASE WHICH ARE NOT PERMITTED ON THIS WEBSITE. PLEASE DELETE YOUR POST/TOPIC. DO NOT TRY TO CIRCUMVENT THE FILTERS IN PLACE ON THIS WEBSITE rear number board,which is flexible plastic. it was visible from the rear, judging by the look of most bikes on the SSDT they were using the YOU HAVE USED WORDS OR A PHRASE WHICH ARE NOT PERMITTED ON THIS WEBSITE. PLEASE DELETE YOUR POST/TOPIC. DO NOT TRY TO CIRCUMVENT THE FILTERS IN PLACE ON THIS WEBSITE plate. there is nowhere to hang a full size plate on these bikes! Hope that helps.

As twinshockdude said the number plate is not

part of the mot it does not even need one on for the test

took my 03 beta in for its first mot without

and they never even questioned as to why there was not

one on the bike . All they do is advise if they think it's

not legal for whatever reason.

In the seminar on the British Champ John Collins mentioned possible new legislation on number plates targeted at stopping people avoiding being caught on speed cameras. Not sure if the fines have or are potentially going to go up into the