Bad Running

seandellear

Hey all,

I have been having running problems with my 06 125. Every time I crack the throttle it bogs terribly. If I keep the throotle open the motor will just die, it has been like this from new in Nov 06 but just recently it has got much worse.

I have emailed Kev at gasgas to make sure I am running the recomended setup which I am. Which is main 105, pilot 36

D36 needle with clip next to bottom, slide 50, fuel screw approx 3 turns out....

I thought I had this sorted a while back. After experimenting with carb settings I found that if I had the needle on the bottom notch (most rich) and the fuel screw about 4 turns out, it would pick up ok and relatively cleanly. Although the plug was black and sooty before experimenting it still wanted to be richened up to make it run any better!

The thermostat then packed in and I had to wire the fan to be permenantly on for a couple of trials before I got the new part. This is when it started running bad again.

I now have the new thermostat in and it is worse still! It will bog constantly. I have tried every notch on the needle and the mix screw from 2 and 1/2 turns out up to 4 on the above jets and it runs just as bad on all of them! I have put the carb back to Kev's recomendations! Still loads of bogging making the bike want to die all the time! (I know the bad running might just be coincidence with the thermostat)

I also have boyeson reeds fitted but it was the same with the standard ones!

I have put new plugs in, no difference!

Carb is clean!

So now I am not so sure it is carburation!

Please can someone help! It makes me want to torch the thing!

Cheers,

Sean

Edited by seandellear

Although i don't have a 125cc i feel that i can answer yr question as i run the same carb.:icon_salut:

You are experiencing a lean spot of the bottom, and you can cure it by increasing the fuel.

Since you told us everything is spottless and hopefully that goes for the airfilter aswell, the one thing you must try is increasing the fuel by opening the choke a little and see what happens then. My guess is that you will get a little "fourstroking" but without the lean spot when you crack the throttle. When needed open the choke more.

Now you really know for sure it is a lean spot.

Good luck, and tell the outcome asap.

I had loads of intermittent problems with my Sherco 290 not running at low revs or ticking over. Done everything to the carb.

To eliminate if the carb is at fault borrow one and fit to your bike. There are plenty of 06 GG 125's about. It worked for me.

In my case it was the crankshaft oil seal on the stator side.

If you are sure it's a carb problem have you tried cleaning all of the tubes in the body of the with some carb cleaner. It's a solvent aerosol that shifts most stuff.

Have you tried removing the one way valve from the tank breather? Ive heard some have been fitted the wrong way round before. and check the petrol tap the gasket can be missaligned causing a poor fuel flow.!

And rule number one before any carb tuning always used to be fit new plug, points and condensor first but now modern electrics are so reliable we just expect them to work.

And if you can find a fool with a similar bike you can just swap things untill you find a fault!

Thanks for all the help so far!

I have a new plug in it and have thought about a new plug cap but since it will pick up if you do some nifty throttle moves I figured this was ok!

Yes the air filter is cleaned and re-oiled after every ride so that it is clean. The fuel flow is fine i have pulled the pipe off the tap and turned it on.

It picks up great with the choke on but takes an age for the revs to drop again! There is definately a flat spot just when opening the throttle!

I was thinking of changing some parts with my mate but it is abit inconvienent and if possible it would be great to sort it from here!

Many thanks everyone!

Cheers,

Sean

Edited by seandellear

It is almost impossible to sort a bike from a keyboard but that doesn't mean it has never been done.

It is a dellorto?

Really need to get someone who knows at a trial to listen to it.

Standard jetting or kev's reccomendations should be near if it bogs then its a case of either something else or a fault.

Float height is what?

Yes it is standard dellorto. I know it is difficult to sort on the computer without anyone being able to hear it running but people have said that it has flat spot when cracking the throttle open to do something relatively big. I have asked a few people at trials about and a few have said that bike used to do it but they havent done anything about it as it wasn't as bad as mine! And there bikes are now running fine! The float heights are standard at 18.5mm

Edited by seandellear

I have now got the bike back to how it used to run (with a little bogging but rideable) by cleaning the carb about 4 times with a high powered carb cleaner, I thought I had the carb clean as I did this after washing it last weekend!

I have a 40 pilot and a 42 pilot on order to try and should have these on tuesday or wednesday!

So I hope this should sort it out!

Thank you all so much for your great help!

Cheers,

Sean

Hi Sean,

Just a small point, when you are cleaning out the carb, have you been removing the needle jet? It is sometimes referred to as the emulsion tube - it is accessible after removing the main jet, and I know that some lads in my area do miss this one out when they also say that they have completely stripped the carb and cleaned out. With the needle jet out, pilot screw out, pilot jet out - best to give all the passages (in the carb) a blast with an air line then set back to standard. D36 needle with clip in second off bottom, pilot screw 3 and a half turns out - I guess you know that this turns out to richen the mixture. If you have any drain hoses on the side overflow vents on the carb, ensure they are free to drain downwards, I have seen some fitted in a loop up over the carb which simply does not allow the carb to work. The 125 and 200 model tend to work best with the standard jetting as supplied, I experimented with a 200 for some time before reverting back to std which worked best.

Bye, PeterB.

Hi!

Yes everything is removed from the carb and cleaned every other trial! This is the first time I have ever had a problem with a dirty carb! It is set standard now except the micture is on its maximum of 4 turns out! It ran ok today but I feel when it has a larger pilot in it it will run well and hopeful with a bit sharper throttle response!

Once again thanks to you all for the help!

Cheers

Sean