"modifying" Sections

cg125

Occasionally I've noticed some of the more serious competitors making minor "modifications" to sections as they walk the course. Things like removing small branches that might be in the way, kicking rocks out of the way etc.

Doesn't worry me in the slightest at the moment as the only person I'm competing against is myself, but I just wondered whether this normal and and if it's lawful?

Technically I think it is illegal but we all do it. As Rider, observer and C of C I would never complain about somebody moving branches that could be a danger or likely to poke an eye out.

Ideally the C Of C and his "band of many helpers" would of done this when marking out, in reality letting riders do a little pruning is ok.

Kicking the odd smal rock out of the way seems to go un noticed as does the odd "trip" that just by chance happens to move that big rock out of the way.

Rubbing slime of a green stream is almost necessary as nobody would ever start a trial if the sections where left untouched but for absolute perfection you must go to a British Champ and watch the minders (especially those that used to be very good riders themselves). They make an art form out of polishing rocks, building ramps, sprinkling dry earth onto grease boulders and I have even seem minders washing rocks with their gloves before their sponsored rider atempts the sections.

I think that may be that is taking the p----s,

I've always thought it was fine, as long as you don't move something that was an obstacle when the section was laid out. i.e. a boulder that's been dislodged by someone else and is sitting smack on your line - its been moved already, wasn't marked as a hazard so I would move it! Likewise with sticking out twigs etc. Polishing rocks is extracting the michelle quite a lot!!! :thumbup: I guess the trampling of a small dam to let a big puddle drain is ok, but building a take off ramp is going a bit far!

I have to say when I'm walking the section its quite nice to have big feet - if they're wider than the tyres then you can make a firm line in mud and the number of rocks that can be moved with a clumsy loss of balance is quite large sometimes!

Just my tuppence worth!

Pete.

Sorry Pete, but "......a boulder that's been dislodged by someone else and is sitting smack on your line" stays in the section. I would five any rider that moved it - and then put it back!

Us observers have to have some fun.

I once seen a top rider pick up a "kicker" walk through the section and gently place it at the bottom of a big rock step, we watched him come through and he was no where near using his "kicker" when he took off so seemed like a complete waste of time! I've tried all the rock moving with a sly trip but by the time i get to riding the section some one has managed to dislodge an even bigger rock into my path anyway so given up bothering with it now :thumbup:

Breaking off any twigs which are at face or finger height is pefectly ok with me.

Little bit of a 'toe poke' whilst walking accross an adverse camber isn't too bad.

Moving a stone to provide an advantage is a no no.

What I do is get one of my mates to go ask the observer for help with starting there bike that wont run ( well duh it wont start with the HT lead disconnected !)well they are looking at "said" bike, you promptly kick/move /smash/throw! Any thing your not happy with , job done, works every time , every trial . I have even had the same observers fall for it more than once before now. :thumbup:

What I do is get one of my mates to go ask the observer for help with starting there bike that wont run ( well duh it wont start with the HT lead disconnected !)well they are looking at "said" bike, you promptly kick/move /smash/throw! Any thing your not happy with , job done, works every time , every trial . I have even had the same observers fall for it more than once before now. :thumbup:

Be no good doing that with me as I wouldn't have a clue! I would let someone snap off a twig that was likely to injure someone as I wouldn't want to give first aid and I reckon you all get enough scratches and scrapes as it is!! You're not supposed to move rocks etc as that alters the course and you are supposed to show me how well you can ride it! And it makes it unfair for all the previous riders, especially if it was a big rock (or two).

SSDT 1986 Ben Nevis, last section last day: Observer, old Tommy :thumbup:

Rider goes up section and dislodges very large rock right into to the line.....THE Eddy Lejeune (not our forum member) moves said rock to get space round it, Tommy and Eddy start a "minor" discussion regarding said rock, Mr Lejeune spends next few minutes put rock back in "Exactly" the right place, he was so embarrassed, it was so funny :thumbup:

I recall previuosly mentioned well known South Yorks rider walking a section at Dob Park in a Yorks centre Trial in he 80's.

Said rider was walking up the climb in front of me towards a well positioned rock step onto a slab. As he came closer to the slab he collected a paving stone sized rock which he confidently picked and walked up to the step and placed with both hands in the exact postion he required and just kept walking. No subtility on shuffling with his feet. Best bit of gardening I have ever seen!