Beta - Exhaust Packing

tone

I ride a trial every Sunday if pos and try to get out for a practice during the week during the summer and so far I have never replaced any packing. so this could be the cause for it not running very well.

I believe Motomerlin sell it, Is it just a case of taking the end piece off, dragging out the old stuff with a piece of wire and restuffing etc, how tightly packed does it have to be?

Again thanks

Tone

Tone, pretty much any bike shop should have it who do off road stuff, think my last lot came from the local shop. Take the end cap off, pull out the baffle and clean it well making sure all the holes are free and clean (wire brush and degreaser is good) stick the baffle back in and start packing. I usually use a thin bit of wooden dowell to push it in with, make sure you get it even all the way aroung the pipe and stick some in the space of the end cap before it goes back on. It needs to be firm in the silencer but not too tight so it is restrictive. If you dont notice a change in engine note/or less noise its probably not tight enough.

Bloomin ek Tone...I kept tellin you that ages ago..its really good to repack..you should notice quite a difference. I havent tried the preshaped stuff yet, but the loose stuff is easy enough too like Betarev3 said. I usually use the 'carpet' role one rather than the absolutely loose cotton wool type of one. Its pretty easy. Chopsticks are the best for persuading it in with!!! :);)

Can any one advise on how often the silencer should be repacked and if it is recommended?

I have an 07 250

Thanks

Tone

I repack my exhaust once every 6 moths or so and just use standard Roof Insulation Fibreglass it seems to work fine.

Can any one advise on how often the silencer should be repacked and if it is recommended?

I have an 07 250

Thanks

Tone

I repack my exhaust once every 6 moths or so and just use standard Roof Insulation Fibreglass it seems to work fine.

I too have heard roof insulation is just as good. Does anyone have any evidence to prove this isn't the case?

Edited by Beta Bodger

I have an 07 250

Thanks

Tone

I too have heard roof insulation is just as good. Does anyone have any evidence to prove this isn't the case?

Nope but really how much do you think you are going too save?

I bought a bag of the loose stuff from trialsbits I think it was a smaller bag than that and has done me two or three repacks already and have enough for another

use house insulation and safety wire, it works great and it's flame retardant, plus ut's cheap, you can get a 20 foot roll for the cost of the real stuff and it works very well, take a torch to the tube til all the carbon and soot is grey and scrape it clean, wrap it and put it in, i changed mine every 3 months or so, very easy!..................................john