Dabill And Sagar

nigel dabster

Many moons ago, there was a organisation called 'Racing for Britain'

Its purpose was to bring on new motor racing talent (4 wheeled) variety.

They raised money through private donations, selling merchandise and sponsorships.

I know it supported a couple of racers all the way through to F1/F3000 as it was back then. Would need to research the names but the RFB logo was on a good number of winners cars. The cost of the sport spiraled to an extent that the fund raising wasn't enough, so i think it die/went fully commercial.

As it appears that not everyone wants to contribute to the future of British trialing, an organisation such as this may be the solution. It could probably gain a charitable status (with the assiciated tax benefits) and be run outside the ACU. Not in competition with the Academy, but compliment it by making additional funds available. It couldn't 'salary' riders but could help fund travel, living etc

Speak to Camelot nicely and get some lottery funding, a few commercial sponsors and its in business.

Trialing For Britain anyone ?

As a footnote, if you want to see some mis-spent Lottery money, have a look at 'The Leander Club' in Henley on Thames. OK, its where Redgrave and Pinsett have previously trained - and the various crews still spend time there, but do they need

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Scottie

I would just like to say that I spent hours filling out forms for Sportscotland Lottery Fund. Each time I was turned down, minority sport and all that. Need to be riding in International trials etc ., I would have to be riding at European/world trials before they would give me any money, but you need their help to get there.The last time I attempted I was told that there was a possiblility I could get some funding (2003 season). when I phoned to ask for a new form they said that as the lotto had decreased then so had the funding and bugger off!! Now if I played cricket for Scotland I would have got funding to travel to Zimbabwe to be humped by their cricket team or javelling throwing then that's okay, maybe the three legged race but Trials motorcycling a big no!! no!!

Cubby's idea sounds brilliant!

My mum and dad have sacraficed so much to help me travel around, I also have to hold a job down and most of my earnings go towards trials. I spent 3/4 months in Spain with the academy. Their riders are looked after from a very young age. If we had the same setup then we would have a great Youth/Adult Team.

Also, the ACU provide funding for the British Trials squad to enter European or World Championships. It doesn't cover all the costs but it certainly helps.

Gary Macdonald

Edited by Scottie

I'm trials i can see how this works but when it comes to MX and road race, where the top riders will get paid real money (for RR its LOADS) - i object to my (a humble clubman) money paying for these prima donnas

now the normal training trust money that helps the clubman / youth is OK by me to an extent. I'm of the philosophy that you pay your own way. if your that *good* "the teams" (an infamous cause of all problems in MX / RR :D:o:D ) will help you.

so in this sense trials is different to MX / RR (which is from where is see the motorcycling world, as opposed to the trials Point of view) and is justifiable.

hmmm - interesting debate

rabie :D

Im with Rennie on this one and agree that the ACU are fantastic to the selected riders on the training squad and the academy. I wouldnt have been able to travel to the europeans or tdn without their support, HOWEVER we are not paid to go to these events, a contribution is made and it helps but myself and my parents have put every single penny of spare money into mine and my brothers trialling career to enable it to happen. If you dont ask for sponsorship it just doesnt come your way. in January I wrote approx 20-30 letters to firms asking for sponsorship and only received about 2 or 3 replies- this shows just how much work and grovelling you have to do!

My biggest help comes from my local council who have set up a scheme in which they help talented young sports people and I have just received a considerable sum of assistance which will help me get to the euro rounds this year. In order to apply for this grant I had to do a break down of how much it cost me to travel to every event and every training session including spares etc. In the end I think the annual cost was nearly

When it comes to sponsorship, its going to be difficult to find new funds outside the sport - it isn't a high profile sport, but most local Authorities have the ability to fund 'excellence' in their Boroughs/Counties - so that always has to be a punt.

When it comes to not getting responses to letters - its just like the amount of cold calling I have to do in my job, its a numbers game unfortunately.

Make about 200 calls, and you might get 1 or 2 opportunities. I have found that people rarely respond to 'prospecting' letters and emails. 'Oh, yes I think I saw your mail = yes I read the title and deleted it'

I'm sure the Academy have covered this. Target some companies in your area who you think would fit, research them thoroughly, write your call script then call the Marketing Manager and Director directly.

The worst thing that can happen is they say no !

• 1 month later...

Guest Scottie

i'M PLEASED FOR jAMES AND tOM BUT i THOUGHT THAT 16-18 WERE ONLY ALLOWED TO RIDE A 125CC? IF THEY WERE RIDING 125CC THEN IT WAS A BRILLIANT RIDE.

Edited by Scottie

I have to say that the ACU Academy and the sponsors of "up and coming trials riders" seem to look no further north than Hadrians wall. Gary didn't get sponsorship until he was 18/19 years old. How in Scotland do we get our youngsters to get the help and training they need? As the SACU don't seem to be interested we have to travel south which takes a lot of time and money.

• 3 weeks later...