Kick Start Lever Hitting Case

andyh

Hi all

i have a TY250 1984 bike. the kick start lever hits the clutch case when starting the bike. this has left an indent in the case which iam sure will split. surely there should be a stop somewhere? i cannot see where it should go or where i could fit one.

any suggestions

thanks

andyh

Is this in the up position? Been a while since had one apart, but there is an internal stop if I recall, but if the lever is on the spline one tooth off it will go to far forward. Try moving it around on the shaft teeth.

Many year's ago the kick start on my 175 punched a hole in the side of the clutch case,After that it did'nt do it again and i can't remember that far back to how i solved the problem, so maybe kevin's right, it could matter what position the kick start is on the shaft.

Edited by bilco

Can't photo it, but checked mine tonight.

the pivot shaft, that the lever folds in & out on, is vertical, center line of that shaft aligned with the case screw jsut behind it. This puts the top of the lever (the main 8 inch long part, not the footpad) about at the center line of the top of carb. Is yours close?

Nice to have be able to have a non- ACU reply.

As previously stated on most Yams there is an internal stop which prevents the shaft turning two far.

However over the years I have found ( especially on mono's and TY175 ) so presume same on 250 TS -that as age takes its toll - no matter how right you think you have lined it all up and re-assembled etc very soon the k/start is back hitting the case.

Many times this has happened and I have usually traced the problem to the actual k/start shaft and stop plate.

The actual metal stop plate/arm - for want of a better word is actually " swaged" onto the k/start gear shaft - and this can come loose and turn slightly. If you hold the shaft carefully in the vice - with stop plate against the vice jaw - obviously with the kickstart fitted onto spline you should not be able to move shaft ? Often however you will find that you can ie the stop and shaft are " slipping" and the swage or splined way of holding the two together is not holding. This means however you set it up - after a few kicks it is all to hell.

New k/start shaft is answer - although I have brazed a few with varying sucess.

John Collins

Hi all

thanks for the responce. the kick start lever is in the correct vertical position. i moved it one tooth forward last night however it then touched the cylinder head. when i kicked it over the part that attaches to the shaft did not touch the case? and appears to have the internal stop working. the kick start assembly is correctly attached with no play on the splines. this is confusing. i will try to fabricate some kind of stop. where i attach this too is anyones business. anymore thoughts appreciated.

andyh

Is there an internal stop in both directions, up and down? perhaps it indexes properly off the up or down end, but has more travel than expected. i.e say80 degrees or arc instead of 70 degrees of arc (just picking numbers) because some thing internally is worn?

I don't recall a stop down, only up, but have nothing else to offer for ideas. I'll look at mine this weekend, might have one partly disasembled to look at the mechanism.

Speak to John Cane at Trail & Trials UK he knows everything there is to know about these bikes. As one of the previous replies said the only cure is to fit a new kick start shaft, as all TY175's will do this eventually it is one of a few common faults with this model

• 16 years later...