Forest Trophy

WOW..what an amazing two days I've just had with Llanfyllin DMCC. They sure know how to put on a good trial. Todays event (Forest Trophy Trial) was just fantastic.

A HUGE thank you to all off you that helped organise it ,and especially to the observers who put up with awfull weather all day.

I can't wait for next year now! :banana2:

agree with Stu, excellent day for the Twinshock contingent tpo and many thanks to Llanfyllin organisers and observers for braving the weather.

Jack Parker never left the signing on van, so the TMX report will be interesting. My brief writeup of a superb event.

Hi Stu,

I saw that you put a tidy score together! well done mate.

The weather was miserable but when you're having so much fun it doesn't seem to matter! With 200 riders there was only section 13 that had a bit of a queue, I didn't have to wait for long at any of the others.

Elwyn, Jean and everyone else who supported the trial were martyrs to the cause (and any other observers out yesterday to be fair)

Some of the sections in the rivers were great especially the double subs. How many people on the double sub 6 & 7 on the last card (Ann Sagar was observing) didn't have the energy to walk right up to the exit gates and then ride the section and then miss the last set of gates! ;) (Please tell me I wasn't the only one )

What about the views down in the valley riding along the top to the last set of sections! Simply stunning (where is Andy and his camera when you need him)

As you know I borrowed Spuds Gasser for the day and rode round with him. First time for him on the rocks and he done really well. (Too damn well :banana2: ) and he took the fiver off me. :moon: I also liked the gasser so much though I bought it off him ;) Much easier to ride than the 290 I had. I was really surprised as I had ridden a few gassers in the past and for some reason, this one just felt right. So, I'm a gasser convert now. :D (sorry Heath but no Beta 4T for me )

I was also riding round in a group with a guy on an OSSA (Steve Sell?) which was well tricked up. He could ride it pretty well too! Great to see so many quality twinshocks and some pre-65's too.

Talking with Elwyn the trial will be rescheduled for next year to avoid the bird nesting season so double check what date it is before you stick it in the calendar.

Can't really add much more to the above apart from my own Well Done to organisers and a Special thanks to all the observers. I'd also like to thank the two ladies in the Burger Van for the life saving coffee and a friendly smile in the bitter conditions.

Having ridden the fun trial on the Saturday and beating Ant and Stu i premept my disappointment in Stu beating me in the Forest Trial because i like Ant didn't walk the second sub and rightly so got a 5. The sections on Sunday where amazing, i loved it, and i'll be back next year. A small note on Ant loosing to me, i've never heard so many excusses for loosing, :banana2: but when he was leading (technically) on one of the laps on the Saturday he became very excited. It was only on the bigger rocks sections he'd loose most his marks.....i've got your

Edited by spud

Can't really add much more to the above apart from my own Well Done to organisers and a Special thanks to all the observers. I'd also like to thank the two ladies in the Burger Van for the life saving coffee and a friendly smile in the bitter conditions.

Having ridden the fun trial on the Saturday and beating Ant and Stu i premept my disappointment in Stu beating me in the Forest Trial because i like Ant didn't walk the second sub and rightly so got a 5. The sections on Sunday where amazing, i loved it, and i'll be back next year. A small note on Ant loosing to me, i've never heard so many excusses for loosing, :moon: but when he was leading (technically) on one of the laps on the Saturday he became very excited. It was only on the bigger rocks sections he'd loose most his marks.....i've got your

I was wondering where the results might be.

Good on Kirsty...I'll have a look at those in a moment. I'm hoping the results for the Saturday are there too, if not, if someone could post them here I would be very gratefull, coz I forgot to take a SAE with me.

I'm so chuffed it went well. Building up to this the odd few of us were able to spare a day to help out, but it's absolutely nothing compared to the amount of work that Elwyn, Jean and Darren put in to the weekend.

My sister selfishly planned her wedding for this weekend :banana2: so I had to miss it, and all week I could see the weather building up. The Foel has the capability to fill up to handlebar level when the heavy rain comes, so I did have my fingers crossed for everyone.

It's a hell of a logistical task on the day to move observers around and get the sections manned when the riders need it, and there's not much room for manoevre in some of the streams. It's a toss up when marking out, whether you miss out on a great section to give queueing space, or just keep putting the flags in as you go up and hope the riders will keep ploughing through.

On top of that there were another group of sections marked out ready for the Welsh Championship Round today, so they've had a busy time.

I got back 10 minutes ago and had to log on to see how things had gone.

I must admit I thought maybe Elwyn had bitten off more than he could chew this time, but it looks like he's managed to pull it off again.

As Atom says, I think we may have to look at July/August next year as the RSPB have indicated they'd like us to stay outside the nesting season. They've been very reasonable, more so than many other organisations who seem to class anyone in the countryside as the enemy.

Well done chaps, and I should pass on thanks to anyone who helped with the event in any way, including observers/results/marshals etc etc.

Edited by bikespace

I know you guys are busy enough bikespace, but may I suggest a letter of thanks to the RSPB for being so accomodating??

Anyway..getting back on subject...I still have a big grin on my face...cant believe how much I enjoyed it...a massive thanks again to all the organisers/observers.

July sounds good to me anyway!!!..shame we'll all have to wait a bit longer..but maybe, just maybe the trial might coincide with the british summer....(usually lasts about a couple of days doesnt it??) :banana2: ...shame you missed it Gaz.Hope you dont have any other sisters getting married soon :moon:

Great to see that Llanfyllin Trials are still a huge success. I see that Peter Morris from Oswestry retired on Sunday and thought that I might add a bit of trivia - Pete's Uncle, Don Morris sadly no longer with us, won the first Llanfyllin Trial back in 1956-57 - I still have the small Silver cup for 2nd place on that day. Pete's Dad Bryan was also a very good rider, and shocked the Trials World when he beat out the top factory boys by winning the Welsh Three Day back in the same era. - I recall his James had rubber bands cut from old inner tubes to help the rebound on the forks.

Having ridden the fun trial on the Saturday and beating Ant and Stu i premept my disappointment in Stu beating me in the Forest Trial because i like Ant didn't walk the second sub and rightly so got a 5. The sections on Sunday where amazing, i loved it, and i'll be back next year. A small note on Ant loosing to me, i've never heard so many excusses for loosing, ;) but when he was leading (technically) on one of the laps on the Saturday he became very excited. It was only on the bigger rocks sections he'd loose most his marks.....i've got your

There's not much more I can say that has not been said above. But I can't let it go without saying thanks to all involved in putting on a fantastic trial, No! what a fantastic two days. Particular thanks to Jean, Elwyn and Eirlys at the Cann Office Hotel for accomodating the roudy bunch from Northampton (South Midland centre). And a special thanks to all the observers for standing out in the cold and wet. I thought they were all hero's!

Cant wait untill next year :banana2:

Tone