How Flickable Is Your Rear End ?

327 mag

Balance points of TXT vs PRO vs BETA vs others

I had a chance to ride an '03 BETA. Can't believe how easy (yes, easy!) it was to do nose wheelies and swing the back end around. I have an '00 Gasser TXT and I practice nosies all the time and am still not that good at it. But I can do them on the Beta. The front/back balance point is way different. The Beta's rear wheel comes up easily and yet feels VERY stable. Its easy to "carry" the rear tire longer which makes it very flickable.

In contrast, my 321TXT feels as though I must carry the rear wheel higher to do the same thing. It just doesn't have the stable feel of the Beta during a nosie. (I imagine peg location and bike weight are the big factors here.)

How much easier is it to do nosies on the PRO compared to my fat old TXT ? Does the "balance point" feel any different ?

And how would the '04 PRO balance point differ from the BETA ?

Any other brands with a rear end as flickable as the BETA ?

-Steve

Its probably just me Steve ( in this is NOT a brand is better than yours thing) but i found the Beta harder to move the rear end than my scorpa.

Could be a few things ,and there was lots i liked about the beta especially the motor.

Had a go on my friends 03 rev 3 and really liked it , but the rear end didnt seem as good as mine. Now im sure that this is probably due to what im used to and maybe a lot to do with my bar postition . Also the beta was spanking new , so maybe the suspension was a bit stiff??

I must admit , that after riding it though , i seriously thought about buying one , i was so close...

Cant really comment on the gassers other than i had a go on a 300 pro , and it really was not for me.

Mark

Not really much help , but what i felt

BUT NOT IN A GAY WAY

Yeah but do you know what really means.

Is this more words of wisdom Wonder Boy! Come on now, is it not time to come out of the closit and admit you're true feelings? Many of us have suspected it for a while now and did you not say you loved Andy? ;)

How much easier is it to do nosies on the PRO compared to my fat old TXT ?  Does the "balance point" feel any different ?

Steve, I can tell you that my Pro is easier to hop the rear than my buddies TXT Edition by a slight margin. The Pros seem to have a weight bias towards the rear though. Comparing it to the TXT the rear is slightly lighter, but the front is considerably lighter. This becomes even more noticable when compared to the Montesa.

I haven't had any time on a Beta to give you a comparison, sorry.

I think in some cases it is a setup issue, as Marky mentioned though. A slower rear shock setup will not hop as well and feel heavier.

Steve!!!

You still riding that antique lawn tractor?

C'mon, dude...dig down and get yourself a new bike.

In a couple years those college tuition bills are going to start rolling in and bikes will be nuclear powered by the time you can afford one.

BTW...Sherco is the way to go.

xxxooo

cc

Has anybody thought that this could be as a result of slow rebound damping and not neccessarily weight distribution?

My 2001 TXT has no damping adjustment (does the pro have damping adjustment?) and it makes moving the back end around a real pain.

Has anybody thought that this could be as a result of slow rebound damping and not neccessarily weight distribution?

Sorry if I was unclear. That's exactly what I was getting at. Yes, the Pro does have adjustable damping, front and rear.

I think you boys might have something there. Rear rebound. It probably is all the difference for me. My mechanic recently skipped town but I should have known...

Bike setup - what a concept.

Lets hear feedback on this:

Does everyone agree that if setup properly, all the brands are equally flickable?

I don't know about the current crop of bikes other than my new Scorpa, but it sure is more flickable than Frankenfender (97 Techno) ever dreamed of being! I tried all sorts of different settings on it but was never able to get past that "heavy" feeling with it. Last Sunday I got a bit of time on the SY to play in the back yard (just got the brace off my right wrist a week ago & didn't want to push my luck) and it was a blast. I could move the front & rear ends around equally well and with much less effort than my old Beta took. Talk about a confidence booster! ;) I'm really looking forward to getting it out in the woods and doing more than figure eights & bouncing around in the back yard...

It just amazes me how much difference there is between the two bikes; "modern" trials has taken on a whole new meaning for me!