Coating The Inside Of A Used Sammy Miller (bj Racing) Fiberglass Tank

bwc352

I have a Sammy Miller (BJ Racing) fiberglass gastank/seat unit for my Yamaha TY. The inside of the tank is starting to blister, peel, and chip. I am not certain whether the inside had been previously coated or not. It's either a previous coating becoming undone, or perhaps the fiberglass itself peeling and blistering. I would guess it's more likely a previous coating that is coming undone, but am not certain. Anyway, I want to recoat the inside of the tank. It appears as though some people recommend NOT using Kreem. A search of the web has revealed a lot of differing recommendations for products and methods, but most of these recommendations came from people who were NOT working with a used tank that had, and will have, a two-stroke fuel mixture in it. I believe this additional fact makes our situation slightly different as our fuel obviously has oil in it, and possibly other ingredients such as octane boosters. Accordingly, the fiberglass probably has to be prepped more carefully to leech out most of the oil contaminents in the fiberglass. I'd love to hear recommendations for products and procedures before I tackle the job. Any feedback would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!!!

I have a Sammy Miller (BJ Racing) fiberglass gastank/seat unit for my Yamaha TY. The inside of the tank is starting to blister, peel, and chip. I am not certain whether the inside had been previously coated or not. It's either a previous coating becoming undone, or perhaps the fiberglass itself peeling and blistering. I would guess it's more likely a previous coating that is coming undone, but am not certain. Anyway, I want to recoat the inside of the tank. It appears as though some people recommend NOT using Kreem. A search of the web has revealed a lot of differing recommendations for products and methods, but most of these recommendations came from people who were NOT working with a used tank that had, and will have, a two-stroke fuel mixture in it. I believe this additional fact makes our situation slightly different as our fuel obviously has oil in it, and possibly other ingredients such as octane boosters. Accordingly, the fiberglass probably has to be prepped more carefully to leech out most of the oil contaminents in the fiberglass. I'd love to hear recommendations for products and procedures before I tackle the job. Any feedback would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!!!

If you could clean out all the old gas/oil mixture? I'd recoat with fiberglass rosin.

If you could clean out all the old gas/oil mixture? I'd recoat with fiberglass rosin.

There are a couple products to recommend. One is por15, they have several products, you don't need the kit with the metal prep product. The other is one that Hugh's Bultaco sells and I've seen elsewhere too. It's called Caswell Gas Tank Sealer. I've heard people like one but not the other. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

I'm surprised that there is a problem with a newer fiberglass tank. It's typically the crap they put in gas nowadays that kills the fiberglass. Most places have updated the fiberglass to withstand it.

I've got a Sherpa T tank that was coated and it's fine. I've got a Pursang tank that wasn't and it leaks something fierce. I think I'm going to go with the Caswell Gas Tank Sealer.

Typically you wash the tank with acetone and let dry, then apply. I think this is for the por15, the Caswell Gas Tank Sealer may be different.

Edited by swooshdave

I've heard to use Caswell Aswell :D

I've never had really good luck with the Kreem brand, I'll try Caswell in the future.

You playing with a TY now?

Me? On a TY? I can't, the shifter is on the wrong side. Most of the people I ride with have TYs.

Interesting note about the Sammy Miller fiberglass, my uncle just picked up a TY with that on it, we may need to coat that one too.

Hi Dave, shifter on the wrong side? I think not!

I used to have a Benelli, shifted on the right with a reverse pattern, all the way up was neutral.

You get in a panic and think you were hitting the brake and you'd shift into a higher gear. :D

No I meant Brian C. He was riding a Cota 175 if I remember right.

hello over the water..

what you need is a two pack resin from Wyldes, a motorcycle shop in Leeds, yorkshire, England

i've done a couple of tanks one fibreglass one steel with the stuff.

just empty the tank out , rinse with petrol and leave out in the sun for a day before putting the stuff in it takes about 72 hours to go off so that you can use the tank again.

only used it the once on a tank that had already been coated with something else and cracked and i left the old stuff on, just applying the new stuff over the top.

I used the caswell product on my sherpa worked great.It is a two part epoxy.You can buy it direct from them.Just look on the net under there name.Have used the Kreem stuff thats good for steel tanks and such.JR

Hi Brian R! I still have the Cota 200s. I decided to pick up a TY250 for the events with the bigger hill climbs -- especially Farrandsville. It's got great low end power, but is a lot heavier than those nimble little 200s. So far, I've done well with it.

And thanks all for all the feedback. I am leaning toward trying the Caswell tank sealer, but wouldn't mind hearing more advice if anyone has it. Most of what I found on the web was positive regarding the Caswell product.

Thanks, Brian C