Gilera What ?

malcra

Hi Malc, it is a Gilera 50 Trail. 4.2 bhp @7000 rpm, 49.8 cc. Has a 14mm Delorto carb fitted they were around in the 70s. Weighs 68kg dry. One of the Funky mopeds of the 70s. I had a Malaguti Cross and Pitley had a TY50 (of course) only 27 yrs ago. :thumbup:

PS stick it on ebay the old sports mopeds are doing well on there.

Edited by bo drinker

Yep It's a Gilera Trail Any idea on it's old reg number?? If you don't know it could be worthwhile getting it from the DVLA. Spares are available via Bob Wright Motor cycles and it was one of the FS1E's contemporaries hence it's value.

No V5 or reg number, but will put the SWM/Gori project on hold for a day to do some research. There's a spark, compression and some gears. Will check for the plate / details in the morning, but the carb is there if a little incomplete.

thanks for the info....knew someone would know more about them me. I think there is another 50cc gem in the same shed, so will keep you posted

Update;; on closer inspection it is a 70s Trial 50, if it has an 18mm carb its de restricted model. Bob Gallier will possibly have carb parts in stock still after all these years. Also is there evidence of a pedal mechanism as that will date it as well. If no pedals its a slow 79 model, possibly only restricted with carb size ???

Edited by bo drinker

Post the Details on here about the other Moped. I used to belong to the Sports Moped Owners Club having had a Malaguti Monte that I never got round to restoring. Sold it on to another guy who used the bits from a couple to create one good one. Gilera's are easier to restore as there is a stock of Spares in the UK.

Edited by Telecat

went in to see Bob Gallier...no Gilera bits, but lots of new stock Magaluti spares from the 70's ; he was also the KTM scooter dealer. Lurking in the shop (only to be sold to the right buyer) was a rare (Spanish import) Suzuki RG400 with no miles on it and a v.orginial Montesa Cota 200, white tank (with reg documents) . Shame is he knows what its worth....well he would I guess.

I was the very proud owner of one of these fine machines, de-restricted model.

Its missing the pedal shaft, these were next to useless, there was no way you could pedal it and as a kick start mechanism it was pants. The Garelli Tiger Cross had the beating of it in a straight line, but on a good day and indicated 50mph was possible - you had to be flat on the tank feet on the rear footrests.

I blinged mine up by painting the guards silver - well I thought it looked pretty cool anyway, well it was in '79.

Sold it for a

Malc Bob Gallier should have carb parts nothing else. That RG400 has been in there with the Montesa for years, if you had delved a bit deeper you would have found a brand new still in its crate Kawasaki KH400 2 stroke triple. Geoff Bedford was the Gilers dealer for the area. Both as tight as each other.

Yeah, I had one in '78 as well, a 1974 one. It was the Trial model, didn't have the pedal shaft like a mate's one but for some reason had moped in the log book. It was the fastest of all our group with Fizzies, AP50's etc. In fact my mate who had a Fizzy used to use various excuses to borrow it so he could blast it round the Queen's Park / Arthur's Seat in Edinburgh during lunch time at school!. Bought it for

I had a Purple Fizz. Not much could keep up with it. For some reason those early ones really flew. Only problem was the next to useless Drum brakes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now if I had known about those Malaguti Spares :thumbup:

I had a purple FS1E bought new from Gordon Farley - XPG 603N, and still have the front number plate for it somewhere.

Len Hutty used to scrounge it to go and see his girlfreind after school and, 'cos he's always weighed a lot less than me, could get another 10mph out of it...

Happy days

Mick Annick

Ah those were the days!! Our group of terrors consisted of 5 FS1E's, 1 Gilera, 1 Malaguti Monti, 1 AP 50, 1 Honda and 2 TY50P's. Hate to say it but the Monti was the quickest when it was in one piece, saying that the last of the derestricted FS1E's (DX) with the autolube was pretty quick as well 65-70mph wasn't uncommon.

I had the slowest moped the TY50p.

post-3958-1184196069.jpg